Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: Free Beer for Help Build

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Free Beer for Help Build

The obligatory prelude... Abbreviated:

Nearly two years after I wanted to start, I've reached a point where I actually feel like progress is on the horizon, and I can start a build thread.

Like many, an FFR build has always been a dream of mine. Back in college I actually bought a 5.0 Mustang to eventually use as a donor for a MK4. But it was too nice to rip apart and, between deployments and moves, the Army has a great way of making one sideline major projects.
    Mustang.jpgMustang NO2.jpg
    Eight years and four deployments later the Army and I happily parted ways, and I moved on to a new career path that brought us to a great country home in VA. It was my wife's turn to decide where we lived, she did put up with the Army after all, so I sacrificed having a garage in order to have horse fields and a barn... That just means you get to build a garage the way you want right
    DSC_8192.jpg
    In the late summer of 2016 we broke ground on a 30' by 28' garage with provisions for a storage lift and an upstairs gym. With a 1/2 cathedral ceiling for a park under type lift, commercial sized door, and strategically placed 240 outlets, I designed the garage specifically to accommodate a "just for fun" car with room to build it. So with no more excuses and a major investment in a palatial garage I put in the order for an 818C with a delivery set for December 2016.
    DSCN4285.JPG
    In the fall of 2016 I came home to find my wife dragging herself across our lawn unable to stand and walk. She had been thrown from her horse and broken her back and hip in 4 places. Obviously the priorities shifted. During the road to recovery Courtnie Provencher with FFR was kind enough to delay delivery until March 2017.
    Delivery 2.jpg
    With my wife up and walking again, and a car sourced from Leonard in mid 2017 I figured things would start to move more quickly... Nope. Life got in the way and the next broken bones were mine. Still on crutches I finally committed to the teardown in December 2017 with my buddy recovering from shoulder surgery. Together we were a fully functioning adult right?
    DSCN4358.JPG
    Over the last few months I've finished liberating the lift, by cutting up the rest of the rust bucket (it was a New York WRX owned by a Subaru tech), cleaning the parts, sourcing parts I'm going to need, and selling the bits I don't.
    DSCN4415.JPGDSCN4427.JPGDSCN4435.JPG
    This is a decidedly long way of saying Now it's time to build! I'm sure I will be hunting for advice and recommendations while I embark on this build. I will also make a standing offer of Free Beer for Build Help. I brew so I'm confident the taps will not run dry.
    5 taps.jpg
    Last edited by SurgeVet; 07-14-2018 at 09:54 AM.