FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  6

Thread: MARIAH's "Great River Road" Adventure 2018

Post Thanks / Like

MARIAH's "Great River Road" Adventure 2018

Lengthy Road Trips in a HOT, bouncy, cramped, spare tireless, few amenities, build your own vehicle…..are not for everyone. She is a donor build from an 88GT, carb, no PS/PB/AC. Just wipers, heater, radio, hardtop, luggage rack and Cobra Earl’s dropped trunk and enlarged passenger footwell. We consider the trips as Adventures as they all have been. No reservations. No schedule. Retired and with grown children and only a cat to manage, we relish the chance to see America from a FFR perspective (although we did cheat and drove the Subaru Forrester to Alaska and back in 2014). MARIAH is not a show car or trailer queen so freshly asphaulted roads, gravel roads and new dings are of no concern. We have been wet many times, but in heavy rain we are always concerned about a drowned carb which has happened at least twice on previous Adventures. AAA and Visa cards are our constant companions.

Well, we had a wonderful Cobra Adventure stretching over 12 days and 4600 safe, trouble free miles. Saw lots of corn. Our destination was to travel The Great River Road from Lake Itasca State Park in northern Minnesota where we stepped over the Mississippi at its headwaters, then follow the Mississippi down to Natchez before coming home. Leaving Taylors, SC about noon on the 1st of July we made Lexington, Ky for the night after a real “frog strangler” of a storm in Tennessee that caused us to pull off the Interstate with some other concerned drivers. The hardtop and windows help, but we still got wet. The trunk stayed water tight but my suitcase, after many Cobra Adventures, began to show signs of failure (my clothes were in a plastic bag there). Twice on our trip, the wipers did not come on and I will pull the dash and inspect the switch/wiring etc. and check the boxes for lubrication. The motor may even have a thermal overload. We’ll see. Lots of corn. Do they not sell fresh corn drowned in warm butter like the New Englanders sell lobster?

3 days of Interstate hauling for 7-8-9 hours a day at 70 mph got us there after other stops in Davenport, Iowa; we spent the night in Independence, Iowa and the next morning took our chairs to their 157th? July 4th Parade. No horses! The next day produced some DARK sky and another “frog strangler” of a storm so that night we reached Baxter, Minnesota wet and were we ever tired.

So on day Five, we joined a crowd at the headwaters to get our feet wet, turned South and began following the GRR signs. Interesting, it was FDR in 1938? who designated the Great River Road. I can only imagine the quality of roads in 1938. We were continually surprised at the folks who knew nothing of the 80 year old GRR. The upper Minnesota lake country was impressive and the Mississippi was still small enough to chuck a rock across but widening as we went. We enjoyed the river front towns/villages but as we went South the towns moved further back from the river and many times it was way off beyond the tree line. There was MORE CORN, the Dutch windmill, several locks/dams to view, breaks to take, motels to locate, dinners to search and beer to drink. Since our space is limited, we washed clothing once but folks expect wrinkles when you crawl out of something as small as our FFR.

MARIAH is always a rolling car show and most gas stops raised the usual questions. The Tremec display guy had just come from a Good Guys event but was stranded with a frozen (and unavailable) axle but loved the Cobra. One commenter was a test driver for Mustangs coming off the line. Another family was out in a ’66 Rambler convertible to share stories. At the Dutch Windmill in Fulton, Wisconsin an admirer gave me an accurate verbal history of Shelby and the cars. Several kids and two adults had the photos taken in the driver seat.

We had a number of places we wanted to stop and others were added to our list as the states rolled by.
    South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Wisconsin again, Iowa again, Missouri, Arkansas, Mississippi, Louisiana, Tennessee again, Georgia, North Carolina again and home to South Carolina.

Of course the Headwaters, County Fair in Aitkin, Minnesota, Loved the Bluffs areas, The National Eagle Center in Wabasha was fantastic. We saw many eagles along the river over several days. Took an afternoon break with onion rings & beer at the Great River Roadhouse. Took a paddle wheeler ride up the Mississippi in La Crosse, Wisconsin, toured the George M. Verity paddle wheeler, laughed in the Mark Twain museum in Hannibal, Missouri, ate lunch at the Arcade Café (Memphis’ oldest café), enjoyed the Delta Blues Museum in Clarksdale, Mississippi but didn’t catch the 41-61 Crossroads where Robert Johnson reportedly sold his soul to the devil for music ability. Interestingly 3 different cemeteries have tombstones for him. Took the Hickman Ferry from Missouri to Kentucky. River was too wide to chunk rocks across!

We finally found ourselves in Natchez where we decided we had seen enough and headed back up the Natchez Trace, peeling off through Chattanooga, Tennessee, across the Georgia mountains and back to our upstate of South Carolina.

We never expect a perfect trip, we just hope to make a memory or two, see new American places and her people, return safely home having enjoyed the experience that only driving a Factory Five Roadster you built yourself can provide. Wahoo…… till next time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PHILLIP, They call the wind MARIAH.
    "Against all enemies, foreign and domestic"
    Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, fabricated Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.

2. Thanks carlewms thanked for this post
    Likes Boydster, totem, carlewms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some more photos.............and thus ends the Adventure.
    Marines lend an air of dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. FFR#3175, Wimbledon/Guardsman, 302 Carb, CobraEarl's Footbox & Touring Trunk, Snapless Tonneau Cover, fabricated Luggage Rack, Whitby Hardtop.

4. Thanks roadscholar, carlewms thanked for this post
    Likes Boydster, Wt4Go, carlewms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great story, congratulations on doing something that most can only talk about!
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Great pics. Thanks for sharing your adventures!
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great story! My wife and I are also long distance travelers although our travels have been in a 56 Chevy pickup. I'm not sure how much long distance travelling we will do with the 33 hotrod I've acquired but we will definitely keep travelling whether driving the pickup or hotrod. As you said it's like travelling in a rolling car show and it creates conversations with others that we probably would not otherwise have. Thanks again for a great read.

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great trip. Until you've driven across this great country, you have no idea just how big it really is.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic read, thank you
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, what a great trip! Thanks for the story and the photos. I look forward to similar trips myself. Hopefully next summer...
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to Cool!.....Great story and great pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice!!! I live in Muscatine Iowa, and I crossed your path as you came through downtown - I was on a bike and waived - I'm sure you remember

I contemplated waiving you down to get your story (and make sure there wasn't another Cobra in town) - glad I found your story here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Ben. Minnesota was necessary for the beginnings, but Iowa? Now Iowa was the best!
    Once we got around the Quad Cities our favorite stretch was down through Iowa on 61.
    I did not remember Muscatine, but we did stop at the Toolsboro Mounds for a lunch that we picked up somewhere, perhaps Muscatine.