Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MK4 Clutch Cable Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MK4 Clutch Cable Question

Guys

I have a question regarding the clutch cable install. I have a MK4 complete kit with wilwood pedal box. I've seen some instructions that refer to a firewall clutch spacer or adjuster but I don't have those things in my parts or defined on the parts list from what I can see. Does this seem right ? How do I securely attach the clutch cable to the firewall ?

thanks!
    mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    It stays in the firewall or adjuster because the cable is short enough that it can't move outward. I recommend the adjuster. this is one.
    https://www.americanmuscle.com/stfic...oDgQ&gclsrc=ds
    Even if you have a cable w/ an adjustable clutch end, the firewall adjuster is a ton easier. Also it helps adapt to the whole range of clutches, pedals, cables that get put together in our FFRs.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2016 Mk4 has a spacer, a cylinder about 2" long and about that wide, which bolts to the footbox front wall where the clutch cable seats to set the proper cable length. A single screw secures the cable mount to the spacer, but as CraigS says it can't fall out as long as the cable is connected at both ends.

If you don't have an adjuster on the footbox end, you have to adjust cable length down at the clutch fork.

I've heard that newer kits don't have the spacer but haven't seen pictures yet of what that looks like.
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    New kits don’t have a spacer or firewall adjuster. FFR made a cable change and the tube spacer is no longer needed. You can mount the cable directly to the foot box.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    A little history. The old footbox design had the cable coming out on the inside edge of the footbox, in sight under the hood. Easy to reach but not the best mechanical leverage design. The new design is a straight pull on the cable, thus coming out under the fender. Not the easiest place to reach.

Don't forget to lubricate the cable when installing. I used a CRC Dry Graphite Lube, Aerosol spray. Used masking tape and formed it like a small funnel at the top end of the cable before attaching and sprayed until it dripped out the bottom. Leave a rag under it for a day or so.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky2009 View Post
    A little history. The old footbox design had the cable coming out on the inside edge of the footbox, in sight under the hood. Easy to reach but not the best mechanical leverage design. The new design is a straight pull on the cable, thus coming out under the fender. Not the easiest place to reach.

Don't forget to lubricate the cable when installing. I used a CRC Dry Graphite Lube, Aerosol spray. Used masking tape and formed it like a small funnel at the top end of the cable before attaching and sprayed until it dripped out the bottom. Leave a rag under it for a day or so.
    Hey Ducky, can you explain lubricating the cable a little more? Did not do it on mine, but since I just put the new motor in and haven't hooked up the clutch cable, I would like to know more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Hey Ducky, can you explain lubricating the cable a little more? Did not do it on mine, but since I just put the new motor in and haven't hooked up the clutch cable, I would like to know more.
    I held the footbox end of the cable straight up and sprayed the oil on the inner cable. Wrapped masking take around the outer cable at the end, Made the tape in a conical/funnel shape so it would hold the excess oil, until it drained down through the cable. Kept adding oil until it ran out of the bottom... with a rag under it.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Could something like a motorcycle cable oiler be used?
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jrcuz View Post
    Could something like a motorcycle cable oiler be used?
    JR
    JR, sure that works too.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQnMdOL09uY