FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Thoughts from those with experience

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts from those with experience

Speaking with another owner recently (not FFR) he suggested that I look into building my roadster both with A/C and a heater/defroster. I am in Texas (Houston area) and have no intentions of installing a roof on this car. It will be a fair weather only affair and I can't see how A/C on an open top roadster would be very beneficial. He said that the heater / defroster (mostly defroster) is useful in keeping the glass clear, but has anyone installed these? Do you cut oval openings for defroster vents?

He also suggested upgrading to power brakes (I opted for Wilwoods front and rear). FFR said that they stop plenty well without power assist, he disagreed.

FFR also suggested power steering whereas the fellow I spoke to advised against it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on these issues.

Saleen9165

Post Thanks / Like
    I would say negative on all counts. Only one I'd consider is power steering and you can add later if you decide.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

3. Thanks Saleen9165 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    I would say negative on all counts. Only one I'd consider is power steering and you can add later if you decide.
    +1.

"Fair weather only" = you probably don't need most of those additional complications.

Mustang GT brakes stopped 3500 lb Mustangs for years...

Power steering - maybe...

What do you want to do with the car? - Most stuff turns on that.

How fast do you want to "complete" the kit? - A lot of ideas / thoughts / parts / etc need to be tested thoroughly before the body goes on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having driven topless in northern California for 30 plus years I’ll say that the heater makes it more comfortable on those early morning starts or late evening returns. I have actually used the A/C in cars that have had it installed but I would not hamper the Roadster with it. I did not install them in mine but the heater kit for the Roadster comes with templates and bezels for defrosters.

I went with power steering to be able to turn the wheel easier at low speeds with the low ratio steering I prefer, manual brakes. I will not comment on those one way or the other as I have not had it on the road long enough to judge if I chose the right combination or not.

When asking around prior to building mine I had hundreds of opinions, split exactly 50/50. Go with what you think will be most comfortable for you and the type of driving you expect to do with it and the kind of car you want to end up with. It seems every combination works right for someone.
    MK4 - complete kit - Blueprint 427W - Holly Sniper EFI - TKO 600 .64 - 3.55 3 link - 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    My FFR isn't on the road but after 65k miles in two Superformance cars I liked the heater and defroster. But I drove in the cold and rain, not always as a planned event. The defroster can help to clear the windscreen on damp mornings but so will a rag. I did have tops but that was too much trouble.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I'm with you here in the Texas heat. I have power steering, AC, and heater. I definitely vote for the power steering. It has a handling advantage other than easier steering in that it allows a caster setting of 7 or more degrees instead of the 3 degrees used for manual steering. The increased caster makes the ride down the highway much more stable and eliminates the road walk the small road imperfection can cause. I really like and use the AC when it's anything above 90 degrees outside. It doesn't cool the inside of the car but has enough dry cool air blowing on my body to keep the sweat off. I also have the premium FFR top that I keep on but don't use the side windows. It is a nice sun shade and helps keep some of the cool air inside. The AC also defogs the inside of the windshield much faster than the heated air but it takes driving in a rain shower to need that. Of course the heater does the same job when its chilly. Again, it provides a nice warm breeze just enough to keep it comfortable.

For the defroster vents slots are required to be cut in the body behind the windshield. You will need a defroster kit which includes the vents and hoses. I will say most of the work is custom and you'll have to figure out how to install the duct work and connect it to the AC/heater but there are many build threads from which to glean the info/ideas.

My brakes are manual with the Wilwood upgrade. It takes a little getting used to the extra effort for stopping but I'm comfortable with them now and don't notice the heavier force anymore. I also installed ABS. That is an option I also recommend. I get into the ABS ever now and then when making a hard stop with some gravel or other road surface change.
    Last edited by 2bking; 07-15-2018 at 12:58 AM.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

8. Thanks Saleen9165 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have used my heater early mornings and in the evenings to make the drive more comfortable. I did not install the defrosters and have never needed them.

Wilwood brakes ft and rear, 2200lbs car. You are going to stop without power assist.

Power steering. I have driven roadsters with and without. Never without again.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck with your build.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

10. Thanks Saleen9165 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Heater, I have it, ok for slow speeds, useless over 40. Heated seats are great at any speed.
    AC, I have it, wife request, will be getting a top in the next year or so.
    PS, I have and like it. Great for Autocross.
    PB, don’t have it and have more brake (Wilwood 6 piston) than tire.
    Everyone has an opinion on these options. Always easier to install during a build than after. Do what makes you happy.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

12. Thanks Saleen9165 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilwoods are great w/ the right pads. Absolutely yes to PS. Yes to AC and heat w/ a twist. Get a top. At the least, do 2 rollbars so you can do a bimini for shade. I have a hardtop which stays on year around. Windows in/out depending on weather. I would look at a soft top that has a zipper rear window. We were huge boating people for 25 yrs and it didn't take long to realize that we could extend the season by maybe 3 months w/ a canvas enclosure. Same w/ the cobra. For you in Tx, it can be a year around car if done right. Even if you don't purposely head out in it in bad weather there are many days where it is marginal. 50-60% chance of rain usually means take the daily driver to lunch or where ever. W/ a top it means take the cobra.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

14. Thanks Saleen9165 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have the Heater but no A/C. Have other converts with A/C but is does not make much of a difference to me. Through a white beach towel over the seat when its not parked in the shade.

With heat when I need it I run with the Tonneau cover 1/2 open. Seems to work at least in Carolina.

PS as said can go on anything. Only time I miss it is at AutoX but only do a handful a year. Might add it but its not at the top of the to-do list.

Have the non-power mustang cobra brakes & with HAWK HP+ pads can stop in under 100ft from 60mph.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-15-2018 at 04:07 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

16. Thanks Saleen9165 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another Texan here. Power Steering, Power Brakes, no windshield wipers, no A/C and No Heater.

In the winter I got by perfectly fine with a 12v electric heated motorcycle vest. They are on sale right now, go get one before winter!!
    https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/hotwi...ted-inner-vest

Currently, in the 95F to 100F days, as long as I'm moving, it's very manageable. I don't for a second regret not putting AC in.
    I drive my car to work every day. No stop and go traffic on my commute, so I survive quite easily.

I have yet to need any vents blowing onto the windshield. I keep a bottle of RainX near by, and a rag in the glove box just in case. Have not needed yet though.

Power Steering... I can't speak to it's necessity, but it was trivial to install, and I'm happy I have it.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

18. Thanks Saleen9165 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know you asked of those with experience, but I have none. Replying anyway!

Houston-area here as well. Not going to do AC or Heat. Won't be doing a defroster. I imagine I'll avoid chances of rain like the plague, but recognize that I'll get caught in a shower at some point. Will just handle those as one-offs.

Not planning on power brakes, just sounds like it isn't needed.

At this point not planning on power steering, either. I used to have a '66 Mustang with no power assist, and it wasn't too bad at low speed. Now I have contemplated the Fast Freddie's electric steering, and if I decide before ordering to use assisted steering this is what I will go with.

I don't think you can go wrong either way on any of these decisions. Good luck, and look forward to seeing another Houston build!
    Alan

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
    - Pete Townshend

20. Thanks Saleen9165 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I totally forgot the most important thing I have in my car to manage the summer heat.
    I glued some 1.25" neodymium magnets to strategic points around the cabin under the body. 6 points with 12 magnets to be exact.
    And.. as a prototype, I sacrificed an old pillow case, cut to size, sewed some seams around it, and sewed in 4 more magnets.
    It literally takes about 5 seconds to install and remove as needed. Keeps the seat from broiling my tender bottom in the hot sun.
    I intend to get some decent quality car-cover material and re-make the cover part.
    The magnets are strong enough to hold it in place with even a moderate breeze.. it has blown one corner open on stronger winds though.

Remember... this is just a proof-of-concept prototype with a pillow case.. but. .it has worked perfectly so far!
    Last edited by skidd; 07-17-2018 at 07:55 AM.
    2016 MK4 | '99 Explorer 5.0 | E303&600cfm carb | T5z + 3.55 | 3-link | SN95 | PB/PS | FR500 17" 315&275 |

22. Thanks Saleen9165 thanked for this post
    Likes Ducky2009 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great info guys, thanks!

I've thought about the second rollbar, but it just doesn't look "right" to me. I guess all those years of looking at that one poster on my wall have both determined what color I must paint it and how many rollbars can be mounted... LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm also in Texas. I built my car with PS/PB and A/C, but no defrost. I highly recommend the power steering. Brakes is more of a personal preference, as they all can be made to work well. Although A/C doesn't make a huge difference in a Roadster, it does help. Most notably while stopped with no wind. It will keep you from frying. The other thing is that I installed some vents that can be pointed at your feet. It really helps to cool the footboxes, even at speed. The downside to A/C aside from cost is that it makes it really crowded behind the dash. I just couldn't find the room to add defroster vents. So far I haven't missed them. One other note, my wife and I made a bikini top that mounts to the dual roll bars. It turned out pretty nice and really makes a difference in the heat or cold. With the A/C it is very tolerable even in 100+ temps.
    Mk IV Roadster, 347/516 HP, 8 stack injection, Holley HP ECU, Astro Performance T5, 3-Link 4.10 gears, A/C, PS, PB Purchased 08/2015, Graduated 02/2017

25. Thanks Saleen9165 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think ya got some good answers. I just want to give Thumbs Up to Skidd for his "Zippy Quick Cover" for the cockpit.....2 things.... Ya gotta keep that seat cool when you are not in it and (this one almost killed me….no, really) I a little bad planning found me crawling on the 91 Frwy in SO Cal for over an hour at 105*. I was in the "Fast" lane (though I didn't seem to be crawling any faster then the "SLOW" lane) and traffic was so jammed people couldn't make the room for me to cross four lanes and get to some shade. I had ran out of drinking water , stopped sweating and got the chills (really bad sign)…. I pulled to the center mediun, left my car and walked a 1/2 mile to paradise, Tom's Farm, Rather then explain what Tom's Farm is I'll just call it "Bucky's" all ya'll from Texas knows what I'm talkin bout. To wrap it up. I made sure I NEVER drove with the temp above 90 again! EVER! In a roadster with black seats, black belts, windshield at an angle pointed at the "twig and berries" (as a note....same angle on the W/S that we used to fry ants or start a fire with a magnifying glass)….YOU CAN'T DRINK ENOUGH WATER FAST ENOUGH TO KEEP FROM DEHYDRATING .All right , I'm done...da Bat

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish there was a "Best Practices" repository. Not sure who or how to ask for it. Open to ideas on that. One thing that I noted was Tom Wallace's suggestion to orient the bolts in the front shocks so that you can remove them without removing the Radiator. Thinks like that, but Model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KenWilkinson View Post
    I wish there was a "Best Practices" repository. Not sure who or how to ask for it. Open to ideas on that. One thing that I noted was Tom Wallace's suggestion to orient the bolts in the front shocks so that you can remove them without removing the Radiator. Thinks like that, but Model.
    I have started a spreadsheet of these, planning to use the "tips and tricks" on my build. When it is complete I will be more than happy to put it out there.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in Georgia... not as hot as Texas, but hot. I have seat heaters and a heater (no AC). The heater vents are pointed down toward the floor, not towards your face. Keeps your legs warm, then you can feel a little heat as it rises out. Backside is warn too. I have PS, alleviates bump steer (road walk as 2bking described) for the most part. PB - I did not use Wilwood braking system. Used the Mustang supplied 2 piston front, 1 piston rear and a single master cylinder with vacuum power breaks. Stops on a dime. Total cost ~ $400. (Did not buy the kit - Researched /purchased the items separately).

Side note on the heater. Do you want air vends in the car? Don't pull the heater control out (no heat) and turn on the fan.

Edited: Didn't install defrost vents. FFR heater comes with plastic defrost vents. ********** sells metal ones.
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 07-17-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in southeast Missouri where it is very hot and humid in the summer (heat index hit 110 last week) and cold in the winter. I have not yet received my kit from Factory Five but it should be coming soon. My production date was last Friday so I am waiting on Stewart Transportation to delivery it. I too was debating the options you are questioning and looking for advice. What helped me make my decisions was advice from the instructors at the build school which I attended in June. Both instructors gave the same advice; 1. Power steering was highly recommended 2. With the Wilwood brake upgrade, power brakes are not necessary. 3. I specifically asked about the Whitby air conditioner and was told that it is great. One instructor said it makes a huge difference even without a top. NOTE: You can not have a glove box with AC as the unit occupies that space behind the dash. Also, for what it's worth, they suggested using an hydraulic clutch and said the seat heaters are a great option as well. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Saleen, As it has been stated above, take a serious look at how you are going to use the car. daily driver or weekend warrior? Fair weather or nothing will stop you? Also take into consideration what you may be required by your local jurisdiction what is required to be on the car for registration. Up here in Canada I have had to put heat with defrost in to get it past inspection. My plan is to drive it as much as possible and my Wife will also be driving it on occasion so I have gone overboard in making it "easy" to drive, power steering, hydroboost brakes, hydraulic clutch, sliding driver seat. The point is take a hard look at what you might do with the car and then build it the way YOU want with what YOU want. And above all else.......Have fun with it! Take your time enjoy the build itself then enjoy the drive! Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in northern Florida.

Heater - I use mine quite a bit. In hot areas, some of the best driving is in the winter. For events, autocross, cruises, etc, you sometimes have to head out early.
    Heated seats (you didn't ask, but they came up). Again, I use mine a lot.
    Defroster - I didn't. But if I were to do it again, why not. I have had a couple times going across a bridge and the windshield instantly fogged up. I keep a small towel behind the seat.
    Power steering - YES. An absolute must if you want to autocross.
    Power brakes - Not needed with Wilwoods. They do require some pressure, but you can stop VERY quickly with them. I would not build a Cobra without them. When did you ever see a car that stopped too fast? I drove a MKI with standard donor brakes, and it was ........less then confidence inspiring to say the least.
    A/C - Maybe if you have a roof.

Post Thanks / Like
    The good Lord put the image on that poster and it's imprinted in your head to be realized so many years later! Congrats!