Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alex's Custom Roadsters glove box install time, site is down. Instructions?

Post Thanks / Like

Alex's Custom Roadsters glove box install time, site is down. Instructions?

I'm at the point in my build where I am laying out the dash so I grabbed the template for my glove box and went to look for the instructions to see where to place it. To my dismay it looks like Alex's domain has expired and hasn't been renewed yet so his website is offline. From what I remember the instructions are online (didn't find a printed copy in the box). Does anybody have a copy of the instructions somewhere? If not, does anybody know exactly where I should make the cutout for the glovebox? A horizontal dimension from the center of the steering column to the left edge of the glovebox opening, and a vertical dimension from the bottom of the dash to the bottom of the glovebox opening would be awesome, if anybody can take those measurements for me.

Alex's Custom Roadsters Site (now offline)
    http://acroadsterinteriors.com/Gloveboxes.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to scan my instructions to email to you, but it looks like I’m in the same boat. I could be wrong, I recall the instructions telling you how to install, but not where on the dash. Since the email I used for him is the domain that is down, it’ll have to be a phone call to him unless someone has the instructions.
    Mark
    Mk1, Frame #1929 Complete restoration/upgrade. BP 347 with Edelbrock PF4 439/420. 4 link with coilovers. 8.8 3.55, 15” Halibrand, New beefed up T5 w/short throw shifter, Power 4 wheel disc brakes, Custom original style steering wheel, shaft and boss, Heat/AC, Heated seats, PPW wipers w/washers, Forte’s throttle linkage, RT trunk hoop mod, Pusher cooling fans, full LED lighting, custom headrests, 5 point seat belts with sub pass through, Speedhut GPS gauges, battery drop box in trunk, LED courtesy lights, Breeze trunk cubby kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a template with locating dimensions. Holler if too small to read in which case I can email a PDF.

As I recall Alex includes a paper template that should be used to trace the outline of the actual cutout. I'll poke around and see if I still have mine.

--
    MKIV Roadster #8641
    Complete Kit with IRS, Eaton Detroit Truetrac, 3.55 gears, Wilwood Brakes
    Ford Racing Z427 w/ Pro-M Sequential Port EFI System
    TKO 600 + McLeod Midshifter; Fast Freddie's Electro-Hydraulic power steering
    Miller Customs Bodywork & Paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I gave Alex a call (luckily I had saved his phone in my contacts) and from what I can tell from our brief talk is that he may be all but done selling these glove boxes. It sounded like he wasn't going to bother getting the website back up. He told me to just check for clearance behind the dash and make sure it clears the hoop and the vertical support. I've got the template placed now and ready to cut out with jig saw. Here are the dimensions I am going with:

Left edge of cutout is 20.5" from centerline of steering hole
    Bottom edge of cutout is 1.5" from bottom of dash

As far as install, from what I recall you cut out the hole with a jig saw and drill the holes. You then put the flathead screws in the holes and then cover the dash with the foam. He recommended using a sanding block to sand down the foam over the screw heads to avoid printing through to the vinyl or leather. Then you cover with your vinyl/leather, pie cuts and fold to back of dash. Then attach glove box on back with the provided nuts.

I may modify this installation procedure. Since I plan to cut and attach an extra piece of aluminum to the back of my dash for extra rigidity, I think I will only drill the holes for the bolts in that backer piece, countersunk, filled with JB Weld, and sanded smooth, and then sandwich the bolts between the two pieces of aluminum to avoid any printing at all. At least that is the plan. We will see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by karlos View Post
    Here's a template with locating dimensions. Holler if too small to read in which case I can email a PDF.

As I recall Alex includes a paper template that should be used to trace the outline of the actual cutout. I'll poke around and see if I still have mine.
    Thanks. From looking at that drawing I can see that where I ended up is pretty close to this drawing, a difference of maybe 1/4" on the horizontal. I think the vertical is the same but it looks like that dash is about 3/4" to 1" taller than what is supplied with the MK4 (note the bottom of that dash extends down). Taking that into account, looks like my location of 1 1/2" from the bottom edge is pretty darn close. Thanks for the image.
    Last edited by shark92651; 07-15-2018 at 07:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shark92651 View Post
    Thanks. From looking at that drawing I can see that where I ended up is pretty close to this drawing, a difference of maybe 1/4" on the horizontal. I think the vertical is the same but it looks like that dash is about 3/4" to 1" taller than what is supplied with the MK4 (note the bottom of that dash extends down). Taking that into account, looks like my location of 1 1/2" from the bottom edge is pretty darn close. Thanks for the image.

Yep, looks good. Please note that the image shows the dash panel in flat pattern. The bottom looks extended because the 90-degree bend that forms the flange at the bottom is shown as it would exist before the bend is made.

It's a shame that Alex sounds like he may be moving on. High quality products, plus I always enjoyed talking with him on the phone. Seems like a bit of a free spirit. Grab a set of his wheel well liners if you can before they're no more.
    Last edited by karlos; 07-15-2018 at 10:46 PM.
    --
    MKIV Roadster #8641
    Complete Kit with IRS, Eaton Detroit Truetrac, 3.55 gears, Wilwood Brakes
    Ford Racing Z427 w/ Pro-M Sequential Port EFI System
    TKO 600 + McLeod Midshifter; Fast Freddie's Electro-Hydraulic power steering
    Miller Customs Bodywork & Paint

Post Thanks / Like
    I printed out the order form but didn't fill it out. Now I don't know the price of the kit. Anyone got the info needed to complete the form?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dthquazi View Post
    I printed out the order form but didn't fill it out. Now I don't know the price of the kit. Anyone got the info needed to complete the form?
    I'll PM you his phone number. Give him a call as he may have some inventory left. He never did email anyway so calling him was the only way to get through to him other than just sending in the order form and then waiting for it to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking for his number?? Want to get a set of the wheel well liners if he has any left. Please PM me. Thanks
    Chuck Krueger
    MK4 Kit - Picked up 4/5/14, Complete Kit, 3-Link, Wilwood upgrade, Coyote, TKO 500, First Start 7/25/15
    2000 C5
    2003 C5 Z06
    2007 C5 Z06