BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Drive shaft safety Loop Recommendation

Post Thanks / Like

Drive shaft safety Loop Recommendation

I'm looking for a recommendation for a drive shaft safety loop for a MKIV w/ a TKO-600.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with the Metco loop. Good quality, bolt on, easy installation. I have the 600 as well. I think they run these in batches when there is enough interest.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    metco here as well. Quick easy install.

http://www.metcomotorsports.com/prod...p?prod=MDL2500
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    +3 Think you will find a lot of the guys are using them.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    IMO: pretty much all of the aftermarket loops are too large to properly contain the very short drive shaft on a cobra, especially an IRS car. I went custom fabricated for this reason.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    This is the kit that I have yet to install which will require a little fabrication work.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all69004

Post Thanks / Like
    Metco here as well. Note that if you've got a spacer under the tail of the transmission it may require you to put spacers between the hoop and the frame. You'll also need longer bolts. The picture below is for my T5, but you get the idea.

Cheers,

John

IMG_3369 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all.

I thought about Metco, but assumed they no longer carry the item

I just left a message with them to see if they have any plans to re-stock.

Also have a message into Forte to see where he is at with his new loop.
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    I see a lot of guys on here with the safety loops. Has anyone actually blown up a driveshaft, on one of these cars, and how much power did it take to do that?
    At what point when I am turning up my boost should I be concerned about the driveshaft?

Post Thanks / Like
    I also need one for a TKO 600. Will contact them to see what availability is.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Another Metco recommendation here. I had the same question about availability. Apparently, they take orders and then do a production run to fill them all. If you're interested, I'd say call them and they'll let you know when they'll fill orders.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WarDamnEagle View Post
    I see a lot of guys on here with the safety loops. Has anyone actually blown up a driveshaft, on one of these cars, and how much power did it take to do that?
    At what point when I am turning up my boost should I be concerned about the driveshaft?
    The pinion angle was set incorrectly between the differential and the drive shaft which blew up the transmission, the drive shaft. Blew a hole through the floor board. Overall it did a lot of damage. Here is how it looked

I too have the Metco Safety Loop - Just because Like John, I found that I need to put a spacer under the hoop to provide more room.

20171217_211150 by D. R., on Flickr
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    "Has anyone actually blown up a driveshaft, on one of these cars, …"

I recall seeing photos of a driveshaft failure posted on this board, and different from the one linked above. It was a pretty grim sight. Thus, even at a modest 340 horsepower I run Forte's loops around both u-joints on my coupe. At some point I may take the next step and put some titanium plate in the tunnel to act as a scattershield. I watched a rear u-joint fail on a big old 4x4 a few years ago and it too was a pretty grim sight.

All that said, the Metco loops look like a really nice product, and I'd probably figure out how to run two of them if I were doing it now.
    Last edited by Jacob McCrea; 07-18-2018 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Metco x whatever...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jacob, I've had two driveshafts explode on me and the damage they can do is impressive. No, not on one of these little cars but I'm sure even these short driveshafts can do significant damage. It's a smart idea to add driveshaft loops.

Post Thanks / Like
    I sent an email to Metco today Rick replied very quickly (nice to see) and said they have a batch in powder coat and should have them ready to ship next week at which time they will update their website....just thought I'd share the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Had the same exchange from Rick.

Gonna jump in line to order one

Thanks again all for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the Lakewood Universal hoop. Very easy to fit and install. I mounted it to the 4" tubes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WarDamnEagle View Post
    My experience was with the rear u-joint on a 6cyl Jeep CJ7. By all accounts, not a high horsepower situation. The u-joint failed which allowed the driveshaft to fall free on one end and flail about wildly. Luckily, I was only doing about 30 mph and on the street, and was able to clutch and get stopped before any major damage. (I was in a turn through an intersection, the Jeep had an LSD, so there were stresses involved but nothing like what these cars produce)

Bottom line, it CAN happen, when it does, the damage can be significant, not to mention potentially life threatening. The driveshaft loops are cheap, installation is easy (from what I can determine) can’t come up with many reasons not to install one.

Purchased the Metco for my build, not yet installed.
    Last edited by 42Bfast; 07-19-2018 at 01:55 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Having driven my old car, a 1995 Corvette, for over 20 years I had a 7 to 10 hour ritual that I performed every year.
    It was replacing the U-Joints in the half shafts because the upper links of the C-2, C-3 & C-4 Corvettes are the half shafts.
    It is why my car is a 3 Link rear and why it will soon have a driveshaft loop and side pipes if I can ever get home to work on it.
    I recently sold that car to a friend of mine for a whopping $2,000.00 dollars because his wife absolutely hates me, but that's another story.

Shown Below Is That Car:

https://youtu.be/svZX2BMSDEs

A Driveshaft Loop Solves A Big Problem Before It Can Occur Plus It Can Save Your Life!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-19-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is what mike looks like. Designed to limit shaft deflection angle if a ujoint fails.
    DSC000023.JPG
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

22. Likes cgundermann liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Metco loop was designed specifically for an FFR that they built in house. It is not one of the generic one size fits most pieces. Simple design, no drilling or welding.

Post Thanks / Like
    To each his own, but I wouldn't consider a loop with enough clearance to allow the shaft to droop beyond u-joint travel limits.