BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dual brake fluid reservoirs

Post Thanks / Like

Dual brake fluid reservoirs

Hi,
    What are the reasons for a dual reservoir set up?

I have only had break leaks on really old cars that rusted.

Are there any times that they are required? ie. Road or drag racing requirements.

Thanks
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    One resevoir for the rear and one for the front in the event that you have a problem, you don’t lose brakes on both ends.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    i don't race but added a second because i thought it looked better.20180407_162818_resized.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    One resevoir for the rear and one for the front in the event that you have a problem, you don’t lose brakes on both ends.
    i single reservoir works fine as long as you have 2 master cylinders (one front and the other back). The cylinders require a very small amount of fluid during their operation and the length of tubing from them to the reservoir more than covers it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I added a second reservoir too for redundancy with the thinking that if one brake system failed, i'd still have the other. However, what happens with the balance bar ? If one system fails, and there is no pressure, that master cylinder will have no pressure and the brake pedal will likely compress that cylinder only ? Any experts here that could give some information ?
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lewma View Post
    I added a second reservoir too for redundancy with the thinking that if one brake system failed, i'd still have the other. However, what happens with the balance bar ? If one system fails, and there is no pressure, that master cylinder will have no pressure and the brake pedal will likely compress that cylinder only ? Any experts here that could give some information ?
    even with two reservoirs if one fails you still actuate thru the balance bar. the key is to have 2 master cylinders.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    As mentioned above, two separate reservoirs (one for eace M/C) makes for a completely divorced braking system front to rear. The Feds required separate braking systems way back in the 60's -- before that cars and trucks typically had one M/C for all the brakes. Even the common reservoirs have a divider wall to separate the fluid once it gets below the top of the divider so they are still truly divorced systems. You can figure out what happened when you had a failure in any part of the single system. And I have had such a failure on one of these early single brake systems and by pure chance lived to tell about it.

If you set up your balance bar correctly and have full travel on your M/C's you will still have brakes on one end or the other should one system fail. Leave too much side clearance on the balance bar or not enough M/C travel and you could end up defeating the safety aspects of a dual system.

Post Thanks / Like
    the hose from each master cylinder to a single reservoir each act as reservoir. think we are talking semantics here. Again, I added a second purely for the aesthetics.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    ...The Feds required separate braking systems way back in the 60's -- before that cars and trucks typically had one M/C for all the brakes...
    Yep; the feds mandated separate braking systems BEFORE they mandated seat belts.

In my view, dual reservoirs are a mandatory safety item.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Leave too much side clearance on the balance bar or not enough M/C travel and you could end up defeating the safety aspects of a dual system.
    that's the concern I have
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering