FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: From Hell to Painless

Post Thanks / Like

From Hell to Painless

I ran into another problem. After connecting the tail lights (as directed in the book) everything stoped working. The turn signal indicator now turns my hazard flasher on in both directions. I did a continuity test of the directional switch, I set the switch to right. On the column connector (column side) which showed when touching the purple wire (that goes to Flasher grey) and the other probe to left front and rear right lights and I got a beep. How does this turn on the hazards. This was the last straw.

I ripped the entire wiring harnessing out and it is in a pile on the garage floor. I talked to Painless Wiring and have a new harness coming ( I have rewired 2 cars prior with Painless) with GM color markings I am familiar with. I got the firewall plug so I refiber glassed the hole in my tunnel. I like the fact that Painless does not pre wrap the harness making it much easier to pick and chose how to combine the wires for routing. They also mark the entire wire. I don’t know what happened with the other harness, but I was never very happy trying to make the wrong harness (roadster) fit, look and feel like it belongs in the 33.

I will let you know if I have good or bad luck trying this approach. I spent a month trying to make the roadster wiring work, so $300 to end my frustration and to complete my build is worth it. Now I can neatly arrange and place all wires and connectors where I want them instead of the ClusterF I have been working in.

You guys have been super with your help and advise.

Thanks again
    TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So did you get like a universal harness? I would agree that having the harness pre-wrapped would probably make it harder to install.
    I wonder if there was something crossed-up in the RF harness and if FFR would have swapped a n
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the painless harness. run everything the way YOU want. Makes for a clean install. On most of my builds now, I use t he RF harness but completely dismantle it and run it my way. Let me know if you want to part with the pile of wires.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    New painless harness came today. So Clean! I laid all my main sections out on the living room floor. It’s so nice to be able to first use masking tape (in case of changes) to lay everything out and then wrap it and put the connectors where you really need them. Again so clean. No tunnel holes or a twisted mess trying to get the connectors where you need them. I wish I had started this way, I would have finished the wiring a month ago.

If anybody wants this mess when I’m finished with it, its your for the shipping cost.OldHarness.jpg

Thanks TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    I will take it Tom. I can use it for parts. I will PM you my details.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, this has got me thinking... just in the planning stages for my own 33 HR, will probably order in the fall.
    Does the build school help clarify some of this stuff? I'll be attending the one in November...

PLATNUM Supporting Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    While everyone has an opinion on the 33 harness. I can say for the 2 I built I had no problem using the RF harness. But that is what makes building a kit fun. You can do it the way you want so it fits your way of doing things.

8. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    How does the quality of wires, connectors, fuse box, etc. of the Painless compare to the Ron Francis? Instructions and support? I've heard good about both.

I'm leaning towards the Painless universal systems for my Challenge Car but I'll still need to add gauge, sensor and control wires.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    The quality compared to the FF harness is better. The fuse box has an LED that lights when a fuse is blown, nice feature. My harness came with every connection the 33 needs to use for what it comes with and more. VS wire for trans speedo, all gauge and idiot lights attachments. set up for heater, wipers (includes washing pump), Steering column (the Ididit column from FF) comes with GM turn signals, and the color codes match. The main thing is ease of installation because you can lay the wires out as you like and then wrap the wires. The FF harness would be better unwrapped so you could really make it fit any car they have. Just my suggestion. It's one thing to be creative with these cars and another to be given a problem.

Thanks TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    Just a note on my progress with the Painless Wiring harness, It took me a day just to layout and group the wires into firewall forward, under dash and gas tank to tail lights. Day two I mounted the fuse panel in the right center of the inside of the fire wall. I mounted an additional 12 circuit panel next to the fuse box. I found running a second panel helps with additional circuits Power steering, power windows and fuel pump, elect. fan relays. I powered this panel from the ignition switch for a switched on panel. I wrapped and routed the rest of the day.

Day three I made all connections and soldered on a bunch of pins for a dash gauge connector and other connections.

These were long days but all has gone according to plan. The harness lays right up against the main cross member with 2 holes (1-1/4”) drilled through the fire wall just under the passenger side of the cross member. Two rubber grommets seal nicely around both the front and rear harness sections. I allowed plenty of room to move around the starter switch, light switch and my gauge connector. I tucked away the radio, heater and power steering code leads for later use (easy to get to). So far no frustration.

Tomorrow is day 4 where I check all connection and apply my trickle charger to the battery connectors. I call it “The Smoke Test” to see if any breakers fry or if everything is working correctly.

I,ll let you know

TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I am all done with my electrical wiring.

I completed my connections and used my power probe to apply 12 volts to each circuit. Everything worked but one headlight and my fuel pump. Turned out to be a bad spade connector and the inertia switch was not pushed . I was shocked on how easy this this was to do.

Applied the battery and all is working so far. I hit the starter but got nothing. I forgot I wired the safety switch to the clutch pedal. Car started fine with the clutch in. Fan Switch relay worked, power steering switch worked and I wired my reverse lockout (Tremec T-56) to my brake light switch, it worked.

From my prospective now after spending 6 weeks installing and struggling to make the roadster harness function in the 33, I wish I had started with a Painless harness.

I may be the only one that has had this problem I don’t know. The solution for me was to have a “CLEAN” install using a wide open unrouted harness that I could mold to fit the 33.

I want to thank all the members that have tried to help me in my struggle. This is not my first rodeo, I have been car fanatic for 50 years and started the 33 at 70 years old.

Thanks Again
    TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    I found this to be helpful feedback and want to thank you for detailing your experience. I had gone to the build school for the 33 and they pulled out the RF harness as shipped by FF and then they pulled out a harness that had already been modified to work which we quickly connected. I remember thinking that going from one to the other was probably going to be a bit of a struggle for me, so I am glad someone gave more detail on what it involves and a solution they found that saved frustration on the process.

p.s. I also live in Parker, so if you ever need a hand or another set of eye on something, please reach out and I would be happy to come over and do what I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Amen to a 70' yr old Hot Rod'er. I will soon be 71' and my 33' should be done and out here to Kalifornia end Aug? Early Sept? God bless this forum and all the good, and CREATIVE, posts. I will be a constant viewer and Learner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Clover I have PM mailed you my contact info. I would like to get together and discuss these cars.

Thanks for your comments.
    TomH33

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TomH33 View Post
    This is not my first rodeo, I have been car fanatic for 50 years and started the 33 at 70 years old.

TomH33
    I think it's so much easier when you have all that experience under your belt!

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    The primary problem with the Ron Francis harness was that it was set up for the MKIV and even the diagrams and pictures were 80% MKIV at least on the earlier kits. Hopefully this is one of the things Tony has changed for the 2019 Hot Rods. Coupled with the removable dash front this should prevent a few sore necks and less frustration.
    Thanks for the Post Tom!