Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Using two of FFR's brake reservoirs

Post Thanks / Like

Using two of FFR's brake reservoirs

I want to run dual brake reservoirs in my car for safety reasons. I know a lot of people buy the CNC products. I am considering getting another FFR reservoir to match the one that came with the kit and using two of them on my build. Is there any reason not to do this? If not, does anyone that upgraded to CNC have a extra FFR reservoir they'd like to sell (would need the bracket and all the hardware)?

Thanks,

Yama
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Yama,

I went with three F5 reservoirs (I have a hydraulic clutch) & recommend going with the CNC product. Two reasons: first, it's WAY easier to mount a single CNC unit rather than multiple F5 units. Second, there are slight variations between F5 reservoirs (probably due to different vendors). Some are slightly taller, some are slightly shorter, and some have different caps. Plus the CNC reservoir has a cap you can use to pressure bleed your system, which is darn handy if you're working by yourself.

John

P.S. Man, that was easy to spend your money!

IMG_4141 by jhsitton, on Flickr
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by phileas_fogg View Post

P.S. Man, that was easy to spend your money!
    Haha, It was easy, but at least I got to ask a question this time. Usually, I just read old posts and figure out what I need to buy. I feel like I got my monies worth this time. HAHA . Thanks for the insight!
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried using 3 F5 canisters. I had one that leaked past the bottom fitting threads no matter how I cleaned and sealed. Another that constantly wept fluid past the cap threads even when not full. None of them had any venting of any sort (besides the leaks) and they depended on a simple oring to seal the cap. And yes, as Mr. Fogg said above, it's way easier to mount 1 set of reservoirs (4 bolts) than 3 separate ones (12 bolts).

The CNC cans have a nice bellows type gasket just like most master reservoirs that allows expansion and contraction, and the lids are vented. Word of warning: There has also been 1 report I know of that said the CNC cans leaked, too. Believe it was a crack in a weld. So no matter what ya do, inspect em good and keep an eye on em for a while.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I did the triple CNC reservoirs. Per edwardb I bought mine from Car Shop Inc. Very good price new $160.00 plus shipping. I suggest you get the CNC pressure bleeding cap. I already had a cap so I can't say a price. If you go for the CNC pieces remember when you use the pressure cap don't use more than7-8 psi. Car Shop ph#309-797-4188. Carshopinc.com. I'm sure they have the double reservoirs also.
    JR
    Last edited by jrcuz; 07-18-2018 at 06:49 PM.
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, you can have mine!

Price? You can have it for shipping plus one pizza for my boys
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Dittos on CNC reservoirs.

Great quality and well worth the price in the long run!

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Tripple Ditto on the reservoir, but went a different route using a Tilton piece since I've got a hydraulic clutch:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/til-72-576
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-18-2018 at 08:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We ordered another one from FFR. FFR changed the reservoirs, not sure when but the one we have from about April is different. The new one mounts completely different and will be easy to mount on the frame with a small plate. The cap is vented, so maybe they heard all the issues and fixed them. Can't address the leaking part as we have not installed them yet. JMHO, YMMV. Richard.
    Richard Oben FFR builder www.northracecars.com

Need help finishing your project we can help here or at your shop.

FFR GTM #34 first GTM with working AC. 400 hp LS1 w/G50
    FFR coupe 3617CP 331 Stack EFI T-5 IRS Cobra brakes, AC/heat.
    Both cars by NRC, we can build (and have built) any FFR product.
    We also make and sell a ton of great parts for the FFR community.
    Brake kits, AC systems, #1 supplier of Team III wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    A little words on my experience, along the lines of what people said before. I am using 3 reservoirs for the reasons you mention above and I have a hydraulic clutch. I had to source my extra reservoirs from the forum because FF5 went to a 2 inch reservoir at some point similar to the picture above, from the 3 inch one originally that I had, and then changed the design altogether in January.

Mine are all installed and two of three of my reservoirs weep fluid from below the cap. I am going to try to make mine work since I have all of the holes in the firewall already, but if I were starting from scratch I would probably go a different way, or maybe get all of the version of the reservoir they are sending with the kits now.
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    Hey, you can have mine!

Price? You can have it for shipping plus one pizza for my boys
    Well, thanks for the offer, but after reading all the responses on here, I think I'll be going the CNC route. I don't like the leaks at all.

Thanks to all for blowing my budget, yet again.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Frank,

Check out Amazon for their CNC offerings. The double is $117 and the bleeder cap is $28. I have prime, so shipping is included in those prices.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Well, thanks for the offer, but after reading all the responses on here, I think I'll be going the CNC route. I don't like the leaks at all.

Thanks to all for blowing my budget, yet again.
    Understood, I did the same thing!
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, got my Triple CNC on Amazon, cheapest price ever for new, it was in stock and had it in 2 days with free shipping.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the the FF reservoirs and after 3k miles no problems. 2 for the brakes and 1 for the hydraulic clutch. Your Money though.
    Last edited by Bobby Doug; 07-19-2018 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Edit text
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    So how does the bleeder cap work for the CNC reservoirs?
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will be happy with your decision. I had the same thoughts, and ultimately made the same decision you did. We agree, therefore you must be right!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered my triple CNC from Amazon as well. Just be sure to shine a flashlight inside each canister in dark room and check the welds for any pinholes
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    So how does the bleeder cap work for the CNC reservoirs?
    Frank,

The bleeder cap screws on in place of the regular cap. You apply a few pounds of air pressure (I used a bicycle pump -- DO NOT use an air compressor!), then crack open the bleeder screw on each caliper until all the air bubbles are gone. Periodically check the fluid level in the reservoir you are working from to be sure is doesn't run dry and pull more air into the system. Replace the regular cap and you are done.

Edit: Be sure to bench bleed the master cylinders before trying to do the calipers. For the master cylinders, disconnect the brake line from the cylinder and run a piece of tubing from the MC to the reservoir. Fill the reservoir with fluid and pump the pedal until you are circulating fluid with no air bubbles. Keep adding fluid as needed to avoid pulling air into the system. Reconnect the brake line to the MC and then do the other one. You could do them at the same time with another piece of tubing.

When you use the CNC cap to bleed the calipers, you just need to have a catch bottle to avoid getting brake fluid (aka paint remover) all over your car and yourself. You won't need a second person as no pumping of the pedal is needed using this technique.

Dave
    Last edited by Papa; 07-19-2018 at 09:46 PM.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Frank,

The bleeder cap screws on in place of the regular cap. You apply a few pounds of air pressure (I used a bicycle pump -- DO NOT use an air compressor!), then crack open the bleeder screw on each caliper until all the air bubbles are gone. Periodically check the fluid level in the reservoir you are working from to be sure is doesn't run dry and pull more air into the system. Replace the regular cap and you are done.

Edit: Be sure to bench bleed the master cylinders before trying to do the calipers. For the master cylinders, disconnect the brake line from the cylinder and run a piece of tubing from the MC to the reservoir. Fill the reservoir with fluid and pump the pedal until you are circulating fluid with no air bubbles. Keep adding fluid as needed to avoid pulling air into the system. Reconnect the brake line to the MC and then do the other one. You could do them at the same time with another piece of tubing.

When you use the CNC cap to bleed the calipers, you just need to have a catch bottle to avoid getting brake fluid (aka paint remover) all over your car and yourself. You won't need a second person as no pumping of the pedal is needed using this technique.

Dave
    X2 on this process. Exactly as described, except I do use my compressor. I turn the regulator down to 6-7 PSI and has worked out OK. I don't own a bicycle pump, but that's a good idea to make sure you don't use too much pressure. I've used this pressure bleed process on all of my builds and have never failed to get a hard pedal on the first try.

Regarding the CNC's leaking, that has come up occasionally. They are cast aluminum, and I believe the leaking is usually due to porosity in the casting. For my #8674 build, it was slightly wet on the bottom and would drip every once in a while. Not something you want with any reservoir, let alone brake fluid. I called CNC and they immediately replaced it. Excellent customer service with no questions asked. For a while they were putting a coating on the inside of the chambers. But the most recent triple I purchased didn't have it. Due to space limitations, I used the Tilton triple that GoDadGo referenced in my Coupe build. It's a quality piece, and very unlikely to leak due to its construction. But it's not shiny like the CNC. I bought a spare cap and will make my own pressure cap for the Tilton piece.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.