BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inner CV Joint: OEM or After Market

Post Thanks / Like

Inner CV Joint: OEM or After Market

The bearings in one of the donor (2006 WRX) inner CV joints are wrecked, so I need to replace the CV joint.

The OEM Subaru part costs between $210 to $240.

Auto Zone has a complete front axle for $70 and claims it is new, not rebuilt. (The OEM axle is about $400.)

My question is this: Assuming the Auto Zone axle is, in fact, new, where does it come from and why does it cost so little?

Should I stick with the OEM part? Or, is the Auto Zone axle the same, or just as good as, the OEM axle? Or, should I be looking at more expensive after-market parts?

Thanks,

Duncan

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the posts I've seen about axle issues are with non-OEM parts. The issue is with the internals being different and not compatible with the axle shafts provided by FFR. My advice is to go with the Subaru parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    We attempted to build a single pair of axles for chassis #80 from aftermarket parts from our local parts stores. After ordering and tearing down a dozen sets we called it. You'll want to source as many used OEM axles locally as you can to start and hope the yard you're dealing with is understanding when you need to return half of those....because they're aftermarket! Just one of the issues with using a donor that hasn't been made for over a decade.

If you want to skip all this and go with a proven solution that will work 100% correctly the first time call Drive Shaft Shop and prepare to empty your wallet.
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can also buy them pre-assembled from factory five, but you have to call them directly. For some reason they don't list them on their parts website, just as an option when you order a kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the responses.

Coincidentally, one of the inner CV joints on my daily driver, a 2004 WRX, failed yesterday and, lacking time to order an OEM axle, I replaced both sides with $70 aftermarket axles made in China and sold at Auto Zone. One of them would not go all the way on the spline, because the roll pin hole had lots of burrs left. A little finishing work got it on. Not reassuring.

If anything goes wrong with these cheap axles, I will report back.

As for my 818R, I ordered OEM inner CV joints from Subaru Parts Warehouse for $167.52 each. The outer joints from the donor look OK.

Duncan