FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Foot box rivets

Post Thanks / Like

Foot box rivets

Should I rivet the foot box from the inside out so it’s smooth on the inside for the carpet or from the outside in, so it looks better when the hood is open?

Thanks
    Mk4 ordered 1/3/18, IRS, Coyote, T56 Magnum

Post Thanks / Like
    Smooth head on the outside. Be careful to use the right grip range rivet to minimize what's inside the footbox. Insulation (which I hope you're using) and carpet will easily handle and cover the secondary (crushed) head of the rivet.

BTW, good question and attention to detail. I've seen multiple builds with the "wrong" end of the rivet in full view. Using the domed side wherever possible for visible rivets looks much more polished and professional. Details add up.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-19-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Smooth head on the outside. Be careful to use the right grip range rivet to minimize what's inside the footbox. Insulation (which I hope you're using) and carpet will easily handle and cover that end of the rivet.

BTW, good question and attention to detail. I've seen multiple builds with the "wrong" end of the rivet in full view. Using the domed side wherever possible for visible rivets looks much more polished and professional. Details add up.

Thanks for the quick reply.
    I am using the 1/4" long rivets for all aluminum panel to aluminum panel. I will use rivnuts on some of the driver side foot box panels for possible access later.

Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    2x on using the smooth side whenever visible. Also, if you are using any heat/sound insulation (coolmat in my case) it will nicely even up the bumps in your footbox and tunnel areas. So you won't see them in final carpet install.

Definitely go with rivnuts on wheel guards. It really opens up the workplace area I needed to do some tweaking to my side pipes and it was very helpful ...next is my first engine oil change.
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by broku518 View Post
    ...next is my first engine oil change.
    Show off...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Smooth head on the outside. Be careful to use the right grip range rivet to minimize what's inside the footbox. Insulation (which I hope you're using) and carpet will easily handle and cover the secondary (crushed) head of the rivet.

I agree. I also think attention to spacing matters:

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer fan View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply.
    I will use rivnuts on some of the driver side foot box panels for possible access later.

Thanks again
    Besides the top access hatch, what are you thinking? I don't think there is much that will be possible or useful. Not to mention that you want things watertight. I did a rivnut access hatch (mine was just before FFR added that). I made a gasket for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post

Hodgkins, you have a polishing sickness

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Hodgkins, you have a polishing sickness

Jeff
    It's at once impressive, intimidating, and very disturbing!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
    It's at once impressive, intimidating, and very disturbing!!
    X2 ..... I don’t think my bathroom mirror is that clean!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any know if you can get the rivets (from the engine compartment side) between the footbox and the front tunnel and the upright on the floor panel when the engine (Coyote) and tranny (TKO-600) are installed ?

I would like to rivet these post install is at all possible (they are already pre-drilled)
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlewis View Post
    Any know if you can get the rivets (from the engine compartment side) between the footbox and the front tunnel and the upright on the floor panel when the engine (Coyote) and tranny (TKO-600) are installed ?

I would like to rivet these post install is at all possible (they are already pre-drilled)
    I wouldn't count on getting any rivets into any of the engine/trans facing sheet metal from the engine side once you have the Coyote installed. Not sure you could get the aluminum panels into position either once the Coyote is in there.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok thanks. So the only way to rivet the up-right (front) section of the floor panels is to do so prior to engine install, or pull the engine/trans or to rivet from the outside in(to the tunnel). Curious to know what approach you used?
    Mk4 #9165, Base Kit with lots of options, Delivery on 08/17/2017, Coyote, TKO600, 2015 IRS, 18" Halibrands, 12.99" Wilwoods

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mlewis View Post
    Ok thanks. So the only way to rivet the up-right (front) section of the floor panels is to do so prior to engine install, or pull the engine/trans or to rivet from the outside in(to the tunnel). Curious to know what approach you used?
    For #8674, since it was my first build with a Coyote plus an early Gen 2 installation, I mocked up the engine in the engine compartment without any panels. Used that to determine the location for fuel lines, harness, PDB, PCM, etc. Then took the engine out, installed all the panels along with everything else, then put the engine back in. More is known now, and if you use one of the established layouts, you can install everything including the panels first. Then drop the engine in once. However you're comfortable. But bottom line I'd have the panels all installed except the DS footbox tops and outside, before installing the engine for good.

15. Likes David Hodgkins liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Besides the top access hatch, what are you thinking? I don't think there is much that will be possible or useful. Not to mention that you want things watertight. I did a rivnut access hatch (mine was just before FFR added that). I made a gasket for it.
    I was thinking both top pieces on the drivers side.
    I am also going to rivnut the top of the transmission tunnel.
    Is there anywhere else one might want to use them.

David,
    How often do you have to repolish to keep it like that?
    What do you polish it with?