Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bringing a CA registered Cobra back to California from out of state.

Post Thanks / Like

Bringing a CA registered Cobra back to California from out of state.

Will keep this simple and short is there a process to bring a cobra back into California that already has a SPCN or SB100 registration in the state but is now registered out of state.

IE can my old Cobra come back from the person I sold it too about 10 years back if I buy it back.

Anyone who has done this I would love to talk, send me an tex 858 610-8742 or if you can respond here that would be fantastic. The CA DMV line is not helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The cert is SUPPOSED to be assigned to the car VIN for life so if you have the cert still on the car I don't see any reason why you couldn't work it out with a DMV manager who is familiar with SPCN.

In any case if it were me I'd head down to the DMV and ask to discuss it with a manager. If they don't give you the answer you want - or unless the manager can prove it can't be done by citing specific DMV code - then move on to another DMV until you find a knowledgeable manager.

HTH,

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 07-20-2018 at 11:50 AM.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    The cert is SUPPOSED to be assigned to the car VIN for life so if you have the cert still on the car I don't see any reason why you couldn't work it out with a DMV manager who is familiar with SPCN.

In any case if it were me I'd head down to the DMV and ask to discuss it with a manager. If they don't give you the answer you want - or unless the manager can prove it can't be done by citing specific DMV code - then move on to another DMV until you find a knowledgeable manager.

HTH,

I got a call back from them today from a manager. His opinion after reading the tea leaves is if it has a number its granted for life. The car is legal for registration in California without any hoops. If it is one of the older YOM VINS and not a SB100 processed one then legal but you need to run it through the process to get it fully legal.

I feel like this is as close of an answer as I am going to get from them.