BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ol' 5369 has been down since HB :( - On the road again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Who knows you may get lucky and the relay is the only part that failed
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchief View Post
    Who knows you may get lucky and the relay is the only part that failed
    Well we'll see. I ordered the relay.

Frank's idea looks promising, I just have to figure out how I would wire it...

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I'll throw in my 2 cents here: Dave's A9L showed NO signs of a short anywhere. No burned traces, no damage. I changed the 3 caps anyway, just as Preventative Maintenance. The burnt trace on the relay board, under the EEC relay is on the common ground pin, which seems an odd place UNLESS the solder around the relay pin and the pad on the board was cracked. In any case, It looks like there was a LOT of heat (and read that CURRENT) that got pulled through that relay which caused the damage. There are multiple "things" that receive power on that same line, the EEC being just one of them. I'm thinking that one of them has given up the ghost and may be shorted.

Video

Post Thanks / Like
    I have my Mallory distributor that I used with my Mass-Flo. If you need it, let me know.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

I just noticed that the relay board has an AC relay on it that you don't need or use; it's the same relay. Carefully desolder the AC relay and use it in place of the EEC relay. Just use a piece of bare wire between the ground pin and a clean spot on the ground trace on the board. Use good solder. I only use silver solder, you should be able to get that at any "real" (not Frys) electronics store.

Allan

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I made a mistake. I've tried to draw a schematic of the control board from the pictures, but it's hard without having the board in front of me. I was looking at the board all wrong. The burnt trace is on the HOT side of the relay, not the ground. Dave, was the EEC fuse blown? Regardless, the traces on the output of the relay show NO signs of overheating; this looks more like an internally shorted relay OR a bad solder joint that failed. I think that just replacing the relay should fix the problem. IF there had been an EEC short, that fuse should have blown FIRST, the relay contacts are 40A; the fuse is 10A.

Hard to read from the photos, but it sure looks like the A/C relay is the same part; I'd just move it to the EEC position.

Allan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You guys are awesome.

I'm going to try and move the A/C relay to the EEC position. Allan, a big THANK YOU for your help so far, and your offer to move the relay in your PM. I know a good electronics store near me so I'll visit them this evening and give it a go. I don't have the proper accoutrements to restrain the board so I'll pick up those as well.

Wish me luck!

EDIT: PS yes, one or more fuses looked blown to me. I'll update you which ones when I get home from work.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_7049.jpg

looks like you lost the trace next to the relay also.
    when you pull the relay, check under it closely for more burnt traces
    Also, get some solder wick to pull the solder off the board if you don't have a better option.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    As Just puttering said, watch that trace and if its bad just resolder in the part that needs replaced and run a jumper from there to the next through hole on the circuit. You guys really pulled together to help. Great work that everyone added. I think there is hope to salvage the mass-flo. Good luck David.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I performed the operation:

Turned the key and I got lights on the board!

Tried to start it and....

Low battery! (friggin active I-Squared harness...)

I'm charging over night and we'll see in the morning if we have success!

4/28 - 7/28. 3 months on the nose since HB. TOO LONG to be off the road!

Fingers crossed!

11. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Looks like I could use some more solder on the board. I'll fix that up tomorrow after I test it.

13. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck I hope it works and fixes all your issues

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It WORKED!!!

She fired right up!! It sounds like the computer needs to re-learn but I'm dropping her on all fours and taking her for a spin!

THANKS GUYS!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Woo-hoo!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post

looks like you lost the trace next to the relay also.
    when you pull the relay, check under it closely for more burnt traces
    Also, get some solder wick to pull the solder off the board if you don't have a better option.
    I didn't run a new trace wire.

Should I add it? Might as well as long as I'm pulling the board again to add some solder.

I haven't driven her yet. I'm jamming through a bunch of hunny-do's and will get back to it later this afternoon.

Thanks again to everyone!

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 07-29-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Adding an additional wire on that other trace wouldn't hurt, but probably isn't necessary. I'd re-flow the solder on the relay pins, as that board is double sided and you don't want a repeat performance. The adaptive portion of the A9L will need to re-learn everything, as it would have defaulted to "factory" values, which although not perfect are good enough to drive the car.

I'm glad the relay swap "fixed" the problem for you. Good Job!

Allan

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh its a happy day when you finally kill a grimlin that has been plaguing you!!!
    Congrats

Also, i would use phone wire or lan wire (that size) for the small trace
    Last edited by Just puttering; 07-29-2018 at 01:14 PM.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Great to here ! You deserve a good drive in her .

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by videodude View Post
    Dave,

Adding an additional wire on that other trace wouldn't hurt, but probably isn't necessary. I'd re-flow the solder on the relay pins, as that board is double sided and you don't want a repeat performance. The adaptive portion of the A9L will need to re-learn everything, as it would have defaulted to "factory" values, which although not perfect are good enough to drive the car.

I'm glad the relay swap "fixed" the problem for you. Good Job!

Allan
    Allan Thank you for teaching me so much about the electronics that go into this EFI system. And for volunteering to maintain my 9L. I know a TON more about my car overall with this deep dive.

I hate to say it but it was kinda fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave, Ol Buddy, Good to hear you are back up-n-running . . . Allen, thank you for taking care of my old friend "Wookie". I figured if anyone could steer David in the right direction, it would be Allen. He's the best and I owe him and his wife a drink or two for helping you out on this issue. Allen, if you're listening, stop by C & C Saturday and the "Einstein's" is on me.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear that you are back on the road again

Since mass-flo no longer supports your setup you may want to check with Danny, ebay and craig’s list to build yourself a stock of low cost repair parts

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I took the time to add more solder to the board. Here's a close-up of the final repair:

I cleaned up the board a bit and you can see from the pic that the trace looks to be intact. I special shout out to just puttering for calling that out.

And here's a final pic of the board with the relay moved:

I was so busy around the house today I didn't get a chance to button up the dash so I guess first drive will have to wait again until tomorrow.

I'm so stoked I made it through this without a major investment. You guys are the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post

I guess first drive will have to wait again until tomorrow.

I'm so stoked I made it through this without a major investment. You guys are the best.

Does this mean you will be joining us for breakfast in August?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by i.e.427 View Post
    Does this mean you will be joining us for breakfast in August?
    What's the date? I plan to be there! I have some driving to do first, so the computer learns again and I feel confident about venturing further away from home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dave,

Take the car for a drive around the immediate area for an hour or two. That should update the A9L.

Video
    Last edited by videodude; 07-30-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great news David!
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can you believe it? All of this anticipation and I was too lazy after work to go to the shop to pick up the rivets, silicone and rivet gun so I reassemble the glove box.

I'm such an idiot! gosh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there going to be a first restart video?
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    Is there going to be a first restart video?
    Nope, no restart video but she fired right up!

I have a small grounding issue with a few gauges but this little sidetrack is complete.

THANK YOU to everyone who helped me get through this little hiccup! I drove here around this weekend and got to enjoy her for the first time in a LONG time, and even made a new trans cover for her this weekend.

Woop woop!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12