Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ol' 5369 has been down since HB :( - On the road again!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ol' 5369 has been down since HB :( - On the road again!

Yep, she died on the way home from HB and has been down ever since.

She died previously on several occasions, getting less intermittant each time. After losing power previously, the fuel pump would still have power but there would be no spark. After a period of time (5-10 minutes) it would start again like nothing happened. This last time she never recovered.

I thought maybe it was the ECU so I sent it out to a forum friend who gave it a once over. Nothing too unusual was found but he did replace a few wear-items on the board. He didn't want to test it on his own car b/c Mass-Flo uses a plug-in sub-board (presumably a flash memory tune deelio) so I called Mass-Flo to see if I could ship the ECU to them and found out that THEY DON'T SUPPORT THEIR SYSTEM ANYMORE They said I could upgrade to their current pro-m EFI for $2400 that uses am old v10 ECU from Ford. NO THANKS!!

Digging deeper into the issue I noticed I don't hear the fuel pump kick on anymore. I've since discovered that the whole engine harness is no longer getting power. I first checked the 5-amp cross-over from the master kill switch (keep-alive power for the ECU) but that is fine so now I believe the power lead that comes from the remote solenoid is the culprit.

So, what is the lifespan for a remote solenoid, and do you think this should be my next task to replace it? Should I still be able to crank the starter if the solenoid is bad?

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 07-20-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: clarity

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry For Your Trouble Super Dave!

Electrical Gremlins Stink!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Sorry For Your Trouble Super Dave!

Electrical Gremlins Stink!
    Thank you sir, and yes. Yes they do.

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar issue with my Mass Flo. My fuel pump stopped cycling with the ignition on. Spoke with Mass Flo and he walked me through some additional diagnostics. Had me take the chip out, turn the key on, check all the connections. The fuel pump cycled with the key turned on and chip out of the computer. Mass Flo believed that the chip was the problem (no guarantee but a good bet). Basically three probable failures:

1. Computer failure- not likely, but possible
    2. Computer losing communication with the chip- most likely
    3. Bad circuit board on the fuse box.

To test and correct the problem, he said to disconnect the battery, and remove the computer. On the back side of the computer, a chip is mounted underneath some vinyl tape. Remove the tape and pull the chip off. Use a brillo pad to scuff the connections on the chip. Then clean with denatured alcohol. Reconnect the chip and see if it the fuel pump behaves normally.

I took a gamble on replacing the chip. Paid $350 to have a new one tuned, which fixed the problem.

5. Thanks Itchief thanked for this post

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go carb’ed and ditch the EFI?

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

7. Thanks roadscholar thanked for this post
    Likes cnutting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    Go carb’ed and ditch the EFI?

Ray
    Plus One!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

9. Likes cnutting liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck if I had to replace the mass-flo I would consider one of the throttle body efi kits with a billet distributor

Rick
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    I ditched the mass flo when I built my car. I had thousands of dollars of mods to make 300 hp on the stock 5.0 block. With my first engine build, I sold all those parts to foxbody mustang guys and had enough money to buy a fitech, a vic jr intake manifold, and a new distributor. I can now tune it with my own skills and made 475 hp compared to the 430hp from mass flow on my 347 build.
    Last edited by TexasAviator; 07-20-2018 at 10:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be thinking about ditching the MassFlo system since it is no longer supported. Call Levy or Forte and ask them advise. I think there are aftermarket systems that would run your injectors so you wouldn't need to buy a new manifold etc. This seems to offer some good info;
    http://www.efisupply.com/efibuyersguide.pdf
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    people....... What about the electrical problem?

Is the remote solenoid the power relay from a factory wireing harness? Do you have a wireing schematic? Can you jump the wire and take the solenoid out of the picture as a test?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    people....... What about the electrical problem?

Is the remote solenoid the power relay from a factory wireing harness? Do you have a wireing schematic? Can you jump the wire and take the solenoid out of the picture as a test?
    Thank you. I purchased a new solinoid and will see if that’s the issue today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried isolating the issue? Don't need the key on to test the circuit.

Use 12v direct from the battery source to the pump side wire (87). If it runs, pump circuit good. Next check the relay battery wire (30), good? If so, you have power to the relay. Hard to test the ignition side (86) of the relay on a Ford (Mass Flos) system because it gets the signal through the ECU. But, it should work for about 5sec when key on. If you have a test light to check the ignition side of relay and key on and you get light, that's good? Then check the ground side (85).

If the ignition key on won't fire the pump but you've done all the tests, put a 12v wire direct to the 86 terminal (key on) and see if the pump runs. If so, the relay is good and problem is between ECU and relay. All you need to do is touch the terminal to see if pump will activate.

Next, ditch the MF and get a Holley EFI.

One more thing: the Ford pump circuit runs THROUGH the inertia switch so if that's not working, by-pass it and try.
    Last edited by weendoggy; 07-23-2018 at 09:07 AM. Reason: update
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    thanks for the suggestions. I'll try my best to perform the rite tests, but remember, this is a mass-flo system in conjunction with a I-Squared wiring harness.

I think long term both need to go. But I'm still going to try and get this setup working again...

I tried changing out the remote solenoid this weekend to no effect. I did trace the power leads and there is power to this module, produced by dunne-rite performance:

The problem is non of the components on this board light up so it's next on the list to be replaced. They make a next-gen of the unit but the pin setup is different. Hopefully they still have a gen-1 or wiring translation table so I can change out the plug I have to match the newer configuration...

I'll post updates again ASAP.

Last edited by David Hodgkins; 07-23-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    just for grins, unplug the throttle position sensor and try starting it.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also try replacing distributor with a known working unit. TFI modules are notorious for heat induced failure. Solution is remote TFI module. http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/

Also PIP inside distributor are more rare but have failed.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post

Also try replacing distributor with a known working unit. TFI modules are notorious for heat induced failure. Solution is remote TFI module. http://www.mccullyracingmotors.com/

Also PIP inside distributor are more rare but have failed.
    Hi Mark,

The engine harness is dead. And I've replaced the TFI:
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...us-gauge-issue

Post Thanks / Like
    What exactly are you trying to do? Find spark or find fuel or find something else? You need to start with basics. Power to "control unit" whatever that may be and go from there. All the additional circuits can be tested independently. How does that board you're going to replace get it's power? That's a place to start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    What exactly are you trying to do? Find spark or find fuel or find something else? You need to start with basics. Power to "control unit" whatever that may be and go from there. All the additional circuits can be tested independently. How does that board you're going to replace get it's power? That's a place to start.
    I'm trying to determine why I'm not getting power from the control unit. That little board powers the EEC and fuel pump. The power lead coming in to this board is hot but the associated items aren't receiving power.

I've been searching online and google-mapped Dunne-Rite Performance to a tiny business outside Detroit. Looks like they may be out of business. No response from my website inquiry and the phone voicemail box is full.

I'm getting a very bad feeling that I have to change out my EFI...

fudge.

Post Thanks / Like
    The solution is simple and being overlooked by most everyone. Very surprised no one figured this out yet...

Replace engine with new 427. Never give up an opportunity to add more horse power

Post Thanks / Like
    Duke, that was mean...but funny

DH,
    If that board just powers the EEC and pump, why can't you by-pass it (just to test) to see if you can get the EEC to work. Does the EEC still have it's dedicated relay? If so, jump it with power and do the same with the pump if needed. I'm guessing the CB controls fan, eec, a/c and pump from what the board says. Does power come in or out of the big terminal? Why is this control panel in the harness anyway? Part of I-Squared? This is getting fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by weendoggy View Post
    Duke, that was mean...but funny

DH,
    If that board just powers the EEC and pump, why can't you by-pass it (just to test) to see if you can get the EEC to work. Does the EEC still have it's dedicated relay? If so, jump it with power and do the same with the pump if needed. I'm guessing the CB controls fan, eec, a/c and pump from what the board says. Does power come in or out of the big terminal? Why is this control panel in the harness anyway? Part of I-Squared? This is getting fun!
    The module is part of the mass-flo harness. 12v power is supplied via the terminal in the upper right corner marked BATT.

I'm seriously considering a Holley sniper at this point.

Post Thanks / Like
    David

Have you checked the 5 amp fuse closest to the plug it looks like it provides power to the board

Are the relays removable or are they soldered to the board it looks like a burnt spot beside of the eec relay

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 07-23-2018 at 09:05 PM.
    #8475 Complete Kit Delivered Nov 2014, started Nov 2015, Street Legal Apr 2016, Paint and Interior Completed Aug 2017, 390 BBF, March accessory kit, MSD Atomic EFI and Ready to run, TKO 500 with MidShift kit, hooker headers, 3 link, track lock with 3.55, sway bars, power steering, wipers, heater

Post Thanks / Like
    Good eye Rick, I was thinking the same.

This is what i would do...
    Check for 12v on the plug. In the pic on the top left, is says batt, this goes to one side of all the fuses. You should have 12v there when plugged in and power is on.

Pull the board out of its cover, After checking the batt side of the fuses, check the other side.Then follow the traces to see where the 12v goes, check for 12v there. Follow the traces from the fuses and check for 12v at the relays or resistors, pulgs or where ever they go. The four relays probably are wired the same so you should find a signal wire from the plug to turn them on. Look for 12v at the same locations on all the relays. Then check for the fused 12v going through the relays. All 4 will probably be the same. I think you may have a bad relay (the eec one) and may have a burnt trace on the board. If so, try running a new wire to replace the burnt one. If the ac relay is not being used, you could use it by moving a couple of wires at the plug and swapping the fuse or could replace the relay and probably will be good to go. The relay going out may have given you the intermitent problems you were having untill it finally pucked!!! Good luck
    Last edited by Just puttering; 07-24-2018 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    The module is part of the mass-flo harness. 12v power is supplied via the terminal in the upper right corner marked BATT.

I'm seriously considering a Holley sniper at this point.

12v power in or out? If in, my suggestion is to by-pass the control panel and go directly to the EEC relay (provided they left that in like Ford had). If not, you have to do some further diagnostics.

If the control panel "supplies" power to the EEC, my suggestion is to power the EEC direct from battery and eliminate that panel to see if it functions. It doesn't have to run, you're just testing to see if it works, and you can do the same thing to the pump circuit as I described above. Not seeing a wiring diagram or being there makes this type of problem a challenge, but not difficult.

I checked the Dumb-Rite site and can't get any info other than pictures and descriptions, but from what I see, if I'm on the right track, is they use the stock EEC from Ford and wire their own control panel in (which would need wiring from the Ford EEC).

Post Thanks / Like
    It does look like the relay has a bad contact in it and has burned up. Good thing is it looks like they are using off the shelf relays on it.

Pull the board from the case and take a picture of the back. It does look like the relay is soldered to the board and not in a socket. Get a close up photo of the relay so we can see the numbers and we may be able to find a replacement. Then swap out the relay and give it another try.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi David,

I still have Mass-Flo EFI on my car and powered by an I-Squared electronics (relay based) system to boot! I wouldn't let anyone get too worked up about how it ties into the EFI harness, they are largely independent, other than the control you employ by turning the key. My Mass-Flo EFI harness has a similar grouping of the same four relays but they are not mounted on a circuit board, just sockets that are directly wired into the EFI harness. Not sure if yours is older or newer than mine but I bought it from Chris at Mass-Flo EFI back in 2006 and its never caused me grief. Have you checked the small ring terminal under the rear intake manifold bolt (EFI ground)? If it has broken loose it might be why your board isn't lighting up!

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, I² electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)

Post Thanks / Like
    David,

My setup was exactly like Sean's, purchased in 2006 and powered by I-Squared. Never had an issue with the setup but last year I ended up going to stack injection with an AEM ECU. If you need the Mass-Flo ECU
    or distributor to try, let me know. Your more than welcome to it.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck1 View Post
    Hi David,

I still have Mass-Flo EFI on my car and powered by an I-Squared electronics (relay based) system to boot! I wouldn't let anyone get too worked up about how it ties into the EFI harness, they are largely independent, other than the control you employ by turning the key. My Mass-Flo EFI harness has a similar grouping of the same four relays but they are not mounted on a circuit board, just sockets that are directly wired into the EFI harness. Not sure if yours is older or newer than mine but I bought it from Chris at Mass-Flo EFI back in 2006 and its never caused me grief. Have you checked the small ring terminal under the rear intake manifold bolt (EFI ground)? If it has broken loose it might be why your board isn't lighting up!

Sean
    I don't remember this little detail!! Wouldn't it be AWESOME if that's the culprit?!? I'll check it when I get home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snakedoc View Post
    David,

My setup was exactly like Sean's, purchased in 2006 and powered by I-Squared. Never had an issue with the setup but last year I ended up going to stack injection with an AEM ECU. If you need the Mass-Flo ECU
    or distributor to try, let me know. Your more than welcome to it.

Danny
    Danny, thanks for the offer! If the ground isn't the issue I'm definitely interested. Do you have the module pictured above?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Houston, we have a problem. Looks like the EEC relay is blown. Looks like they are soldered on?

Where can I get a replacement, and could the board be bad? How do I clean that carbon(?) off the board?

Post Thanks / Like
    David

I would talk to Danny and see if you can work out a deal to purchase his entire mass-flow to replace yours we don’t know what caused the board to fail and replacing the board without locating the fault may cause the replacement to fail also

Better to replace the entire system if possible

I tried to find a replacement relay using the numbers on the top of the relay the closest part number match is the CM1-D-P-12V but I cannot find a vendor

Just my 2 cents worth

Rick
    Last edited by Itchief; 07-24-2018 at 10:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hate to say it but I'm still using the complete Mass-Flo harness with that relay block. Just modified it to work with the new AEM ECU. I wonder if Chris from Mass-Flo can at least tell you where to get one
    or if he has anything similar that will work.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like
    If you cannot find a replacement relay and you are not using the AC connection you could move the AC relay to the ECC location on the board

Post Thanks / Like
    David,
    Get in touch with "Videodude" Allan. He loves doing this kind of circuit board stuff (is he the friend who checked out your ECU?)

Good luck,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont worry, for an electronics person, that should be an easy fix.

The best part is it is no longer a ghost haunting you

Rub the black stuff off you wont hurt it!

I assume the relay was going bad, gets hot the heat went there, you get a burnt spot.
    Last edited by Just puttering; 07-25-2018 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Typo

Post Thanks / Like
    This is a CM1-D-P-12V made by Panasonic Industrial and it looks like it was discontinued in 2014. You can find a spec sheet for it here.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/3...14-1075658.pdf

I am looking to see if there is a replacement relay from Panasonic.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Might try this guy, he has a 100% ebay rating.

https://www.ebay.com/i/142407957227?chn=ps
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    Might try this guy, he has a 100% ebay rating.

https://www.ebay.com/i/142407957227?chn=ps
    $6 is a lot cheaper than changing out the whole thing...

I spoke to Allen (videodude) and it seems to be an easy fix but as a few have mentioned, I wonder if there is an underlying cause? Allen seems to think possibly a ground short?

In his words: "I know you changed your TFI, but what about the PIP sensor in the distributor? Do you have another distributor that you could swap? Whatever took out that relay was a dead short to ground."

??

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears that the module you have there does the same things as the Ford CCRM. They are readily available and I believe it could be wired it into your harness. Just another option.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-12577A/must...SABEgJ_G_D_BwE

And sometimes parts just fail.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    $6 is a lot cheaper than changing out the whole thing...

I spoke to Allen (videodude) and it seems to be an easy fix but as a few have mentioned, I wonder if there is an underlying cause? Allen seems to think possibly a ground short?

In his words: "I know you changed your TFI, but what about the PIP sensor in the distributor? Do you have another distributor that you could swap? Whatever took out that relay was a dead short to ground."

??
    Swap the distributor out with my mustang, just return it by wednesday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast