ReinCarNation

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 62 of 62

Thread: CV2065 MKIV Build Thread

  1. #41
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just heard back from FFR regarding my back ordered parts. Hopefully I get most of them shortly, but the manufacturer of the spring collars and hats had some kind of anodizing issue and those parts have been delayed another couple of weeks or more. Wonder if this is something I can get locally? Also, that is the company that makes the steering wheel bosses...which will push back the arrival of those...UGH!! Guess Russ will be back from vacation before I can even think of sending it to him. Brake pads are also on continued back order along with my front spindles and rod ends for the toe arms.

    I realize that each FFR Cobra parts list is long and complicated, but I'm still just a little perplexed around the FFR purchaser/supplier relationship and the overall communication to the end user after the sale. It's been 2.5 weeks since my kit was delivered, and almost 2 months since the kit was 'completed' for pickup. Hate to be a negative Nancy, but FFR needs to get this stuff dialed in.
    Last edited by cv2065; 08-09-2018 at 09:07 AM.
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  2. #42
    Senior Member Fixit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis 'Burbs
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered my kit in February, but specifically delayed delivery until May (when Ma Nature is back on her meds, and the white stuff is gone around here). I'm guessing that due to this elongated "order date to ship date" was to my benefit - my POL list is pretty short, and only had a few "mission critical" pieces on it - and these have all arrived.
    FFR is at the mercy of their 3rd party vendors... as is any other manufacturer that uses out-of-house suppliers for parts.

    You're not going to need the steering wheel for awhile, and the coil-over assemblies aren't really critical until you want to set the chassis down on it's own wheels. I'm also still in the early build stages, and trust me... there's PLENTY of other tasks & sub-assemblies to occupy your time!
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

    1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster - #9365 Build Thread

  3. #43
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    I ordered my kit in February, but specifically delayed delivery until May (when Ma Nature is back on her meds, and the white stuff is gone around here). I'm guessing that due to this elongated "order date to ship date" was to my benefit - my POL list is pretty short, and only had a few "mission critical" pieces on it - and these have all arrived.
    FFR is at the mercy of their 3rd party vendors... as is any other manufacturer that uses out-of-house suppliers for parts.

    You're not going to need the steering wheel for awhile, and the coil-over assemblies aren't really critical until you want to set the chassis down on it's own wheels. I'm also still in the early build stages, and trust me... there's PLENTY of other tasks & sub-assemblies to occupy your time!
    Agreed, and I've been keeping myself busy, but my OCD doesn't allow me to draw outside the lines very often... I'm in manufacturing as well, and understand the challenges of suppliers, but control and expectation have to be mastered, especially with such long lead times. Good news is that I have a box coming from FFR as we speak. May not have all my stuff, but they responded to my email, which is good!

    OK..enough of all that stuff! Good news is that all of my panels are ready for pick up today from the powder coaters and they look sweet! I'll post some pics later. Very pleased with the cost to get everything done.

    As many have done, I tried to get my Mev Tech ball joints into my upper control arms last night, and it was a no go from the launch pad. I see where the issue is, as the threads of the ball joint have some kind of bubbling and look to need a bit of scraping...

    IMG_1120.jpg

    So, took a look at the forum and many have tried the Moog K772 ball joints, so ordered them from Amazon last night ($16.99 each) and we'll see how they fit. Last resort is to go the Edwardb route and get the high performance ball joints, but hoping that Moog will do me right!
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  4. #44


    Not a waxer
    Jeff Kleiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    3,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post

    As many have done, I tried to get my Mev Tech ball joints into my upper control arms last night, and it was a no go from the launch pad. I see where the issue is, as the threads of the ball joint have some kind of bubbling and look to need a bit of scraping...
    My experience with multiple installations is that after you wire brush the protective "schmutz" of of them they'll go in without issue.

    Jeff

  5. #45
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    My experience with multiple installations is that after you wire brush the protective "schmutz" of of them they'll go in without issue.

    Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. I'll break out the wire brush on the drill and see where it gets me. Doesn't look like these were painted that great anyway, so might give it a fresh coat. If it doesn't work out, the Moogs will be here tomorrow anyway.
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  6. #46
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great news today. Got all of my panels back, and man do they look good. I had them done in Black Satin to match the frame. Although they are looking more Semi-Gloss than Satin, I'm still pleased. My powder coater laid the powder on thick. Might have to put the drill bit through a couple of holes to get the excess out. He said to bring back the wheels and he'd do them for $250. That Friends and Family discount is really saving me some dough! He did all 57 panels plus brackets in 3 days.

    IMG_1124.jpg

    Was able to get my new rivnuts into the top cover of the foot box. They fit really well and I've entered the no spin zone, as these puppies grab and are easy to install. I don't really like the yellow chromate color, but they'll be covered up anyway. I'll probably change out these SS button head screws for some taller ones. Here's the ones I used: https://www.mcmaster.com/#95105A135

    IMG_1122.jpgIMG_1125.jpg

    Also picked up my hubs from the machine shop. Rob the owner pressed my wheel studs in for $20. I thought it was money well spent to make sure that I didn't run into any issues pulling them through with my impact wrench. He did a great job and had them back in 2 hours.

    IMG_1123.jpg

    Exchanged out my rivet gun today at Harbor Freight. Got home, hooked it up, and the same thing was happening as the last, where the gun was not pulling the shanks off. I think I figured out my problem. It's not the gun at all but my pancake compressor. Volume is plenty, but I think I'm lacking in pressure as it only puts out 2.6 SCFM @90psi. My rivet gun is calling for 3 SCFM. So, tomorrow I'll pick one up at HF and see if that solves my problem. I'm pretty sure that it will.
    Last edited by cv2065; 08-10-2018 at 11:33 PM.
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  7. Likes JoeAIII liked this post
  8. #47


    Not a waxer
    Jeff Kleiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    3,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    ...I had them done in Black Satin to match the frame. Although they are looking more Semi-Gloss than Satin, I'm still pleased....
    I have a matte finish on my roadster body--- trust me when I say that you'll be glad those panels have some sheen. Matte will show every spot of oil, grease or finger smudges and unlike a surface with a sheen if you go to wipe it off it just gets bigger and you have to chase it all the way to the edge. Really disappointed that FFR has switched to matte PC for chassis components; enough so that I'm seriously thinking of ordering the chassis for an upcoming Coupe uncoated and having it done locally...don't want to but they may force my hand

    Jeff

  9. #48
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I have a matte finish on my roadster body--- trust me when I say that you'll be glad those panels have some sheen. Matte will show every spot of oil, grease or finger smudges and unlike a surface with a sheen if you go to wipe it off it just gets bigger and you have to chase it all the way to the edge. Really disappointed that FFR has switched to matte PC for chassis components; enough so that I'm seriously thinking of ordering the chassis for an upcoming Coupe uncoated and having it done locally...don't want to but they may force my hand

    Jeff
    I was also surprised when it didn't come gloss black, not only for durability, but for the touch up factor with something like POR15. I wouldn't say that the finish on my frame is matte though, it is more like a satin finish, as it has somewhat of a sheen, like maybe 20-25% reflectency? Big difference between my panels and the frame though...that is for sure. I was trying to get them to match, but as you said Jeff, the clean up should be much easier!
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  10. #49
    Senior Member Fixit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis 'Burbs
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think I figured out my problem. It's not the gun at all but my pancake compressor.
    You've found yourself in perfect position for a great new tool acquisition... "Honey, I need to get a new air compressor. The one I have just isn't big enough to run (my $30) the air tools I'll need for the Roadster build... OK?"

    Go Large!
    compressor000.jpg wink4.gif
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

    1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster - #9365 Build Thread

  11. #50
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    You've found yourself in perfect position for a great new tool acquisition... "Honey, I need to get a new air compressor. The one I have just isn't big enough to run (my $30) the air tools I'll need for the Roadster build... OK?"

    Go Large!
    compressor000.jpg wink4.gif
    LOL...I’m with ya John! The real tragedy is that I just sold my big one about a year ago thinking that I would downsize the garage a bit. Of course, the Cobra was not in the picture at that time. Learned my lesson that projects of some kind will always play a part as long as I have a garage to do them in....So big air compressor purchase...Round 2!
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  12. #51


    Not a waxer
    Jeff Kleiner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Posts
    3,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or...





    Cheers,
    Jeff

  13. #52
    edwardb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Posts
    4,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Exchanged out my rivet gun today at Harbor Freight. Got home, hooked it up, and the same thing was happening as the last, where the gun was not pulling the shanks off. I think I figured out my problem. It's not the gun at all but my pancake compressor. Volume is plenty, but I think I'm lacking in pressure as it only puts out 2.6 SCFM @90psi. My rivet gun is calling for 3 SCFM. So, tomorrow I'll pick one up at HF and see if that solves my problem. I'm pretty sure that it will.
    I use my Campbell Hausfeld air rivet gun in the basement with the little Porter-Cable 6-gallon pancake compressor I have there. Works fine. Runs more than the much bigger Quincy I have in the garage shop. But still pulls rivets fine. Far be it from me standing between someone and new tools. But I don't think you need a bigger compressor for this reason alone. I still think your riveter may need to be adjusted. I looked on H-F's website and theirs adjust exactly like mine does. Look in the instructions under the section near the end titled Jaw Cleaning and Replacement. With the whole outer cylinder nose piece off, there's a lock nut and the jaws that grip the rivet. Loosen the nut and adjust. They show using the wrench as a measuring device. If their adjustment doesn't make it better, you can adjust it a little more on your own. Mine was also slipping sometimes, and a slight adjustment in this area made it work perfectly every time.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-12-2018 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Typos
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
    Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. #7750 Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. #8674 Build Thread
    Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Delivered 12/2/2017. #59 Coupe Build Thread

  14. #53
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Or...





    Cheers,
    Jeff
    LOL...Got one of those and the handshake to prove it....
    Last edited by cv2065; 08-12-2018 at 03:35 PM.
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  15. #54
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I use my Campbell Hausfeld air rivet gun in the basement with the little Porter-Cable 6-gallon pancake compressor I have there. Works fine. Runs more than the much bigger Quincy I have in the garage shop. But still pulls rivets fine. Far be it from me standing between someone and new tools. But I don't think you need a bigger compressor for this reason alone. I still think your riveter just need to be adjusted. I looked on H-F's website and theirs adjust exactly like mine does. Look in the instructions under the section near the end titled Jaw Cleaning and Replacement. With the whole outer cylinder nose piece off, there's a lock nut and the jaws that grip the rivet. Loosen the nut and adjust. They show using the wrench as a measuring device. If their adjustment does make it better, you can adjust it a little more on your own. Mine was also slipping sometimes, and a slight adjustment in this area made it work perfect every time.
    Soooo, I took mine apart to adjust and not sure what happened there but when the jaws went back in, they would no longer accept the entire rivet shank. Would only go in about 2/3rds of the way. I'm sure that I probalby jacked something up, but not sure how, as its a pretty simple assembly. Unfortunately, the wrench they now include in the box is not the same that's in the adjustment picture, so it doesn't have the any markers for adjustment purposes. I'll take a look at it again, but I'm thinking you are correct, its just a matter of getting it right.

    I did take a look at the CH rivet gun that you have Paul and noticed that it says it only needs 1.1 SCFM where mine needs 3 SCFM @90psi. Even if those numbers for the CH were at 40psi, double it and its still under the capacity of my pancake compressor. Harbor Freight has a blue and black rivet gun, with the black being the more expensive model, just like the CH that you have. Not sure what the differences are there....

    That being said, I do like having a larger air compressor again....
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  16. #55
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Today was all about painting parts. I'm waiting on some key suspension parts so I can complete the front and back so thought I'd paint some of those.

    First up was the calipers. My wheels will be powder coated a black chrome color, so I thought red calipers would not only contrast nicely, but somewhat match the Ruby Red color of the car. I used the POR15 caliper paint and as I've used their products before, very impressed. I used a chip brush to apply and it levels out very nicely. I had one drip that I missed, but other than that, they are coming along great so far.

    IMG_1126.jpgIMG_1127.jpgIMG_1135.jpg

    Next up was the knuckles. I was going to use the Duplicolor clear like Edwardb, BUT for some reason my knuckles looked a little dirty and banged up in certain places. Some of that was me, the dirty part, but I bought them new through Summit and don't think they were used or anything. Instead of the clear, I used the Duplicolor Silver Caliper paint and they came out great. Look brand new....Taping them off was a bit of a chore, but worth the time.

    IMG_1131.jpg

    Next up was the control arm adjustment cylinders. Mine came from FFR with a few scratches in the black powdercoat. I was just going to run with those until one of them froze up on the threads. It moves easily now, so not sure if someone went crazy with some thread locker or what, but used my adjustable wrench to 'unfreeze' it and scratched the crapola out of it. So, I decided to paint the same POR15 caliper red. Ironically enough, I used a self etching primer from Rustoleum and it only came in a green color. Couple of coats of red on top of that, and it came out similar to a Ruby Red, same as the body paint. They came out great and almost look 'dipped' in color. The POR15 product is outstanding.

    IMG_1134.jpg

    I'm sure that my son is looking for his shark towel. I was by myself today and had run of the kitchen. Things got a little busy and this is what the kitchen island looked like before the wife got home. PLENTY of time to clean up and move to the garage, but man its hot out there, even with my shop fan.

    IMG_1129.jpg

    I did paint the lower caliper pieces with the Duplicolor Caliper paint in Black. Those seem to have come out a little 'powdery'. Maybe they just need more time to cure but hopefully I'm not seeing a future stripping of those parts due to poor adhesion.
    Edit: Looks like the paint didn't really take to these pieces. Not sure if its the paint or the glossy finish to the metal, but I stripped these and we are back to the silver. Will still look great.

    Tomorrow I'll be tackling the pedal box!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cv2065; 08-13-2018 at 06:36 AM.
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  17. #56
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Almost forgot to mention that I received my MOOG K772 ball joint replacements. Happy to report that after a couple of drops of Loctite, they dropped right in and screwed down with little effort. I will say that they didn't actually 'drop in'. At first, you put them in and looks almost like they don't fit. I had to fiddle around with each one a little, twisting lightly back and forth until the ball joint settled into the control arm up to the threads. Once in position, they screwed down easily. Not sure what is lining up there, but takes a little patience.
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  18. #57
    Senior Member HiggyMK4#????'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Southern Ontario
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see your hydrating properly! Bottle of water AND a bottle of Michelob Ultra! Good job.
    Higgy
    'Collecting knowledge and parts for a future build'

  19. #58
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    I see your hydrating properly! Bottle of water AND a bottle of Michelob Ultra! Good job.
    Higgy
    You got that right Higgy! Painting goes a bit sideways after a few beers if I don’t introduce some hydration!
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  20. #59
    Senior Member Fixit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Minneapolis 'Burbs
    Posts
    206
    Post Thanks / Like
    A tidbit of advise on the adjuster sleeves for the control arms... now that you've got them all purdy - but not on the car yet.

    I've got the same style arms on my '65 El Camino, and neglected to lube the crap out of the internal threads of the sleeves on installation. Once I got it back on it's wheels and weight on the suspension, it was VERY difficult to turn the adjuster sleeves... Wound up pulling stuff off and lubing them up.

    Use some chassis grease or anti-seize on the internal threads. Slather 'em up good, then thread the arms back in.
    005.jpg

    Word of warning with anti-seize.... antiseize.png
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

    1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster - #9365 Build Thread

  21. #60
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the reminder there John. I remember you mentioning this in your build thread and forgot to do it. First thing I’ll do tonight as I see exactly what you are saying, as one of mine was seized up a bit right out of the box
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

  22. #61
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Agreed, and I've been keeping myself busy, but my OCD doesn't allow me to draw outside the lines very often... I'm in manufacturing as well, and understand the challenges of suppliers, but control and expectation have to be mastered, especially with such long lead times. Good news is that I have a box coming from FFR as we speak. May not have all my stuff, but they responded to my email, which is good!

    OK..enough of all that stuff! Good news is that all of my panels are ready for pick up today from the powder coaters and they look sweet! I'll post some pics later. Very pleased with the cost to get everything done.

    As many have done, I tried to get my Mev Tech ball joints into my upper control arms last night, and it was a no go from the launch pad. I see where the issue is, as the threads of the ball joint have some kind of bubbling and look to need a bit of scraping...

    IMG_1120.jpg

    So, took a look at the forum and many have tried the Moog K772 ball joints, so ordered them from Amazon last night ($16.99 each) and we'll see how they fit. Last resort is to go the Edwardb route and get the high performance ball joints, but hoping that Moog will do me right!

    CV - did you powder coat ALL of the panels? Will you add any other coatings? Thx

  23. #62
    Senior Member cv2065's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    346
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wineguy View Post
    CV - did you powder coat ALL of the panels? Will you add any other coatings? Thx
    Yep. I powder coated everything. I still have some odds and ends to bring, but I'll just do that when I have my wheels, gas tank cap and windshield frame done in a couple of months.
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Replica Parts

Visit our community sponsor