Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  111
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: CV2065 MKIV Build Thread - Graduated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Last thing I've to get done from a third party is my trans cover. I'm going to drop it off tomorrow or Friday, so test fitted the boot, trim ring, stereo remote and cup holders again as I bought the FFMetals heavy duty cover with thicker metal. Definitely worth the upgrade! Also put the trans through all gears to make sure I'm not interfering with anything. As an added bonus, I can turn the volume up or down with my pinky finger when cruising in third!

Plan is to duplicate the leather from the stick shift boot on the trans cover (very close looking to the dash) and have red stitching to match the boot stripes. I'll keep everything in place with a couple of strips of industrial velcro. I had originally planned to use screws but the velcro should be seamless and just as effective.

I'm currently carpeting the trunk and will start on the louvers and trimming the body a little more in the next day or so. Plan is to have the body just about ready to go on for a final time by the end of the weekend.
    Last edited by cv2065; 09-08-2019 at 10:10 PM.
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Man your work is looking really nice... Great job Chad...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Spent the weekend again focusing on a couple odds and ends. I needed to get some of my patch panels in, so did the one on the driver's side footbox as well as fabricating one for the end of the passenger side firewall. I have 1" wire tubing going through there and it was just kind of hanging as the hole is too large. I cut a piece with a semi-circle and then padded it with some trimming lace that I had laying around.

Also spent the bulk of the weekend finally getting to some carpeting. I needed to complete the trunk carpet so that I could complete my sound system hook up and wiring. Lots of additional work and time goes into a sound system, even though everything is easily accessible. I'm sure it will be worth it!

Trunk carpeting took much longer than I expected. I split the job into two sections (splitting both decks) and did the same for the sides. I bought some kraft paper from Lowes. They have large rolls that are 3' x 100' for $12, and its heavy duty. Made patterns out of that and then cut the carpet that I had purchased from FFR, which matches the cockpit carpeting. For the upper deck, I used the Tec indoor/outdoor trowel on style from Lowes. With all of the wiring that I had going on for the stereo, amp, sub, speakers, etc. in that section, I needed the extra working time to run the wires through the carpet and then place correctly. Worked as expected as there is PLENTY of time to move things around to get just right and it sticks great to the Thermo Tec. The only thing with this stuff is that it does have a 72 hour total cure time. I was able to remove any weight on the carpet to hold it down within 48 hours. Stuff dries great, but takes some time.

For the lower deck and sides, I used the 3M Super Trim Adhesive (#08090). This stuff is a nice medium between the 3M 77, which tacks up immediately with no moving time, and the Lowes stuff that takes too long. Although you don't have a tremendous time to move things around (maybe 30-60 seconds), its nice to have a little room there. Another oddity is that it sprays out like small spider webs, so have to clean any over spray up immediately. All in all, it came out great.

I was also able to get the amp/sub board that I had made installed with all wiring. I wanted all controls for both facing to the rear, so the wiring isn't as clean as I would like, but I think it looks pretty good.

Also ran my sub controller. I mounted it with 3M extreme duty tape and placed right in front of the inertia switch.

Getting closer to final body install. This week I hope to get the louvers installed, undercoating applied to the body, cockpit carpet started and get my tail lights back together and tested.
    Last edited by cv2065; 09-08-2019 at 10:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good chad. Question, on the Amp Deck, it looks like you don't have the carpet on the corner closed up. Is that something your still working on? Also, you said that you had bought some kind of carpet edging. would that look good on the two cover plates?

Oh, so you did not get the drop trunk option... :-0

Carl

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    Looks good chad. Question, on the Amp Deck, it looks like you don't have the carpet on the corner closed up. Is that something your still working on? Also, you said that you had bought some kind of carpet edging. would that look good on the two cover plates?

Oh, so you did not get the drop trunk option... :-0

Carl
    Good eye on the amp deck. Some of the carpet lifted on the bend when I installed it. That’s the 3M 77....I’ll hit it with the 3M Trim Adhesive that I found to be a better adhesive and it won’t be coming off again.

The carpet on the access pieces is folded over, so can’t trim them out. I could have used the amp deck carpet as it’s thinner, but wanted it to match the floor.

As far as the drop trunk, when I get done and we cruise, you can carry my stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow...Lots going on since I last posted. I'm still focused on detailed items to get the body on for the final time. I addressed a few areas on the body that were touching the last time it was on. A few minutes with a flap wheel and I took another 1/8" off of a 5" section close to the Speedo area, then a 1/16" trim on a 3" spot on the rear wall to even it out. Looks great!

I also got a chance to fit the louvers. This part was a lot of fun and very satisfying, at least in the beginning. I had originally thought that I would just clean the holes up, but then got a wild hair and thought I'd go for it.

Getting a few ideas from Paul's thread, I used the HSRF with the round stud fasteners from McMaster Carr. I had already assembled the louvers with the aluminum brackets and had them powder coated black. Really nice. Mixing up the HSRF was easy after a couple of videos, and I got a nice greenish/aqua color. I prefitted the louvers on the backside of the hole and followed Badasp's lead by leveling the louver off to the hole and marking where the fasteners contacted the body. I used nuts on the backside of the louver to stand it off from the HSRF while mounting. Decided on placement, put HSRF mixture on each stud, and mounted. The HSRF sets up so fast in the Florida heat, so I literally stood there for 5 minutes then secured with a paint stick and zip tie. I'm used to smelling solvents and paint at work, but this HSRF is potent stuff, so have good ventilation.

Once these were secured, I pulled the louver off and used a flap wheel to clean up and smooth out the HSRF. So now the fun part began. I started by mounting the louver again, and going to the outside and measuring 1.5" between each louver, then transferred that measurement on the body with a pen as I've seen in other threads. As a mistake on my part this is where one of the issues began. I then used a Dremel with drum sander for the larger areas and then 80 grit sandpaper by hand for finishing.

I started with the driver's side and I think aside from being a little oversized in one corner by about 1/32", I thought it came out great. Now of course, I'm no expert, so be gentle.

It was the passenger side that got a little fudged up as the hole itself was 3/16" off kilter right from FFR. I didn't realize that until I had already cut the hole to match the louver, which was aligned with the hole. In hindsight, a level would have identified it off the bat, so lesson learned...measure everything! So the end result was a hole that's a little oversized and crooked by 3/16", so not much room to adjust. I thought I had taken a picture of it, but can't find it, so I'll add later.

Jeff Kleiner will be doing my body work/painting, so reached out to him and he said "I've had to fix worse". So, I'll leave it up to his mastery to correct my mistake and reshape the holes. BUT, I will say...I had fun doing it!!
    Last edited by cv2065; 10-01-2019 at 12:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the help of a couple of family members, I turtled the body and started on the bed liner. I used the Herculiner as it was on sale at Lowes, and it worked well. As others have said, this stuff gets on everything and Xylene is really the only thing that will remove it. You'll need to shelf the paint sticks to stir and get a paint paddle for your drill. I got one at Ace Hardware for $5. Pretty thick stuff.

I taped out a couple of inches from the wheel wells as Jeff has requested in other threads, as well as the exhaust pipe cutout in the event that I need to adjust those. Did the same for the louver holes since they have to be adjusted as well. All in all, very uneventful, but arduous, especially when cutting in with a brush. The rollers that came with the Herculiner kit are good enough, but have a cheap screw to keep the roller frame from flopping around that doesn't really work.

Two full coats with both roller and brush, then hit the wheel wells one more time. Took an hour of prep (blowing out and wiping down with Xylene) couple of hours to apply, not counting 1.5 hours of dry time in-between coats. I actually taped off much more than what you see in the first picture to ensure none of the bedliner bled over to the outside. The coating took to the raw fiberglass very well...no need for sanding. All in all, an uneventful project that came out great. I have about a pint of product left over.
    Last edited by cv2065; 09-30-2019 at 11:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Back to some carpeting. I think I mentioned it before, but I'm using the 3M Trim Adhesive that is pretty amazing. Allows for 'some' adjustment if you need it. I'm really happy with the panel cutouts from FFR. Not a lot of trimming needed at all.

Following another tip from Jeff, I spray painted all of my seams with black spray paint in the event something didn't align right. I don't want to be seeing any shiny foil sticking through.

I'm pretty amazed at how accurate these carpet pieces are cut. Really not much trimming, if any, needed at all. I was able to get the rear cockpit panels completed. The two side pieces I put in at one time, but the larger cockpit piece I sprayed half then the other half. This thing lined up perfectly, right down to the slits cut for the seat belts! Put the speakers back in and very happy with the outcome.

I fitted my console side pieces and am awaiting to get my console cover back from the upholsters to complete. Not sure what's up with my selection of 3rd party outfits, but my upholstery guy didn't cover my panel correctly, as he stretched the material all the way over the rear duck tail of the panel, leaving a 2" void underneath. He's fixing it now, so we'll see.

I want to put some heel pads in both the carpet and floor mats. I thought about sewing these in myself, but a local furniture upholster said he can do it for just a couple of bucks, so I'll take over this week. In the interim, my Cobra floor mats just came in. ********** just got a new batch in if you are looking for them. I'll use them just for events. I plan to trace these mats onto the carpet I have left from the trunk and make some everyday mats.

Last edited by cv2065; 10-01-2019 at 12:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always liked the seatbelts that WarEagleScott had in his build from Cipher, so I ordered some. You can get them at a better discount on ebay from a couple of dealers vs. from the manufacturer site. Very nice belts and also come with a bolt for each securing location for ease of installation. As with all of these belts, including Simpson, fading seems to be a common problem so I bought some UV spray online for fabric. I'll treat the belts before install. We'll see if it works or not.

I drilled the submarine belt hole right behind where the floor mat ends, which is a couple of inches under the seat through the steel panel of the frame.

Next up is to get the body back on the buck, fit the headlights and tail lights, wrap up the carpeting and get the body on for the final time.
    Last edited by cv2065; 10-01-2019 at 12:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's been a while since an update, but I've been getting some things done!

I wasn't really happy with the honeycomb radiator protector. Yeah, I know its not really seen unless you have your head stuck up the front of the car, but it was a little frayed on the edges from cutting (my fault) and when I spray painted it, there was an uneven color to it, so was looking for an alternative. So what did I do? I let Shark spend some of my money for me after looking at his build thread. The gloss black honeycomb car grill that he used was looking sweet, so had to have it. A little expensive, but I might be able to build some mesh guards out of what is left. Anyway, looks like this after install:

I used some 1/2" nylon spacers at the top drilled into the 3/4" tube. This gets the screen flush with the raised lip on both sides of the radiator. I have Everson's Roadster Radiator Panel, so it should hold the mesh down at the bottom once installed, so I've just let it hang for now.

Got my completed center console back from the upholsterers. The guy went down the wrong path initially, but I think he made it right in the end. The console cover has the french stitched materials on the side with red stitching. The red is subtle enough so that you know its there and should lightly compliment the other red in the cockpit. I cut out the holes for the cup holders, stereo remote and stick shift.

I used rubber rings to keep the cup holders in place from the bottom. No flying cup holders for this kid!

Last edited by cv2065; 10-23-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    On to finishing up the carpet. This took a little longer than I thought. The rest of the carpet fit well with minor trimming. I did show the carpet to my upholsterer, and he mentioned that it was pretty good grade of carpet to have come with the kit. Not much of a carpet connoisseur, but nice to know it will last for a bit.

I followed Edwardb's lead and had some edging sewn into edges of the console carpet as well as the sides where the speakers are. Makes it look nice and finished!

I did have a heel pad sewn into the carpet as well as a side pad on the right side of the accelerator pedal. A local marine shop did it for me for $20. With the new footbox expanded out, the side pad looks a little funky, but serves its purpose. I have about an inch of clearance between the pad and pedal, but may shave off another 1/16" or so off of the pedal just to be sure in case the carpet settles a bit, which is why its missing in the picture.

Speaking of carpet, I had enough left of my trunk carpet from FFR to make two sets of spare floor mats. I traced the pattern off of the Cobra mats I bought from Finish Line, then had the same place sew in a binding. I tried my hand at the DIY binding and it doesn't work out that great for tight corners. Even the marine shop had to cut into the corners a bit to get around them then sew them back. I'll be sending the second set to BadASP!

Finally, put my door speakers in and they look/sound great. I bought the 6" grills do match off of ebay (Lucky find) but had to cut about 1/4" off of the side of the cover for it to sit flush as the 2" tube was a little tight.

E-brake boot is one of the last things to go on before the seats go in for the final time. I forgot to put in rivnuts before I carpeted, so I think I'm going to rivet the boot. I found some large headed black rivets that will fit the bill. Either that or I'll use finishing washers with normal sized black rivets for more of a custom look. Either way, If I need to remove the boot, its just a few rivets to drill.

Now I just have to finish up the seat belt trim rings, seat belts and final footbox side panel with carpet...and the body can go on!
    Last edited by cv2065; 10-23-2019 at 10:10 PM.

12. Likes Straversi, GTBradley, Boydster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That side pad next to the accelerator pedal is a good idea. I need to figure out how to get this into my nearly finished roadster. The problem for me is, pedal application is not as accurate as it could be because the carpet is so close and it resists foot movement.
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

The distance between "finished" and finished is literally infinite.

Post Thanks / Like
    Work got in the way this week and didn't accomplish much until today. During the week I did get a chance to secure the e-brake boot and add the Polk audio badging to the speakers. I found some very large headed 3/16" rivets on Amazon, and used those for the e-brake boot. They look great and just need to drill out if I need to access in the future. Not much, but hey, how do you eat an elephant?

I did get some stuff done today though. I did a final round of greasing, hitting all of the nipples front to back. The Royal Purple Ultra Performance grease has always been a favorite of mine, as well as other Royal Purple products. The color makes it easy to determine what is what if I'm getting a leak somewhere. I also bought some new nipple caps, as throughout the build, seems like I'm missing a few.

I modified my foot pedals. Because I had less clearance than I thought once the carpet and side pad was in, I cut the gas pedal to a scallop shape. This not only looks great to me, but gives me plenty of clearance to the side. I also modified my brake and clutch pedal, by shaving 1/8" off each side, giving me an additional 1/4" of space between the two pedals which makes a world of difference.

Guess what also came last week. I was debating on whether getting the Finish Line door panels or Herb's. After speaking to Finish Line, I guess there was a batch that wasn't covered all the way to the corners, and they were not sure when a next batch would come in, so I ordered Herb's. Man, these things are heavy duty quality and very nicely done. Pictures do not do them justice. I'm sure the Finish Line ones are nice but glad I picked up these. Thanks Herb!

Last edited by cv2065; 11-02-2019 at 10:26 PM.

15. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now that I've got just about all of the loose ends in the cockpit done, I added the console cover. I attached with the 3M dual lock velcro in 6 places under the cover. Very secure. I'm actually hoping it comes off easy if needed. Only issue I have here is that I must have mis-cut my console cover hole about an inch or two too far to the rear, as the shifter just makes contact with the cover in first and third gears, and this is without the trim ring in place. I didn't factor in the plush of the carpet or the thickness of the material wrap. I'm not about to unravel all of that and have to re-cut and re-upholster, so I decided to upgrade my shifter. Back to Finish Line where they have a 427 shifter that goes up about an inch or two from where it attaches, which should give me the clearance I need, as the FFR shifter breaks north right after the attachment point. I did want to upgrade earlier, so this just gave me the excuse. It should be here on Monday and I'll report back. Now have to get it powder coated as well.

So while I'm waiting, I treated my seat belts with Scotchguard Sun Shield. Not sure how or if it will work, but I drenched them pretty good and set aside to dry overnight.

After they dried, I installed my seat belt trim rings, seats bolted in for the final time, and seat belts secured. The red Cipher seat belts are nice and have some eye catching contrast to the seats, as the car is going to be Torch Red as well. Seat belt attachment points were easy to access, even with the seats in, as the Cipher belts have clips, although the attachment points in the trunk might be a challenge if I ever need to remove them. Just not user friendly when it comes to detaching off of the eyelet, as you need two hands and space is tight. The fastening mechanism is miles ahead of the Simpsons. Very nice and user friendly for passengers, as they are similar to a modern style.

I have a ton of extra fabric that needs to be trimmed off then I'll singe the ends to keep from unraveling.

Tomorrow I'm going to install a bracket to secure the lower radiator Boig tube to the frame, double check my wiring and lights, and drill for my elephant ears.
    Last edited by cv2065; 11-02-2019 at 10:27 PM.

17. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man Chad, those belts pop..... Where did you find the Scotchgaurd? Your car looks sooooo different than the last time I saw it...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Work got in the way this week and didn't accomplish much until today. During the week I did get a chance to secure the e-brake boot and add the Polk audio badging to the speakers. I found some very large headed 3/16" rivets on Amazon, and used those for the e-brake boot. They look great and just need to drill out if I need to access in the future. Not much, but hey, how do you eat an elephant?

I did get some stuff done today though. I did a final round of greasing, hitting all of the nipples front to back. The Royal Purple Ultra Performance grease has always been a favorite of mine, as well as other Royal Purple products. The color makes it easy to determine what is what if I'm getting a leak somewhere. I also bought some new nipple caps, as throughout the build, seems like I'm missing a few.

I modified my foot pedals. Because I had less clearance than I thought once the carpet and side pad was in, I cut the gas pedal to a scallop shape. This not only looks great to me, but gives me plenty of clearance to the side. I also modified my brake and clutch pedal, by shaving 1/8" off each side, giving me an additional 1/4" of space between the two pedals which makes a world of difference.

Guess what also came last week. I was debating on whether getting the Finish Line door panels or Herb's. After speaking to Finish Line, I guess there was a batch that wasn't covered all the way to the corners, and they were not sure when a next batch would come in, so I ordered Herb's. Man, these things are heavy duty quality and very nicely done. Pictures do not do them justice. I'm sure the Finish Line ones are nice but glad I picked up these. Thanks Herb!

Hey Chad,

Saw your post on the e-brake boot. I wanted to share a picture of what I did with mine; snaps!

Your car is looking great!

Dave
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

20. Likes speedfreak1211 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    What's up guys. Those snaps look great Dave. I didn't mind putting something a little more permanent as I don't ever plan to take it off. I may not even really use the E-Brake too much. Seems like the design could be better overall.

Scotchguard came from Amazon. We'll see if it passes muster. Thanks for the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, had to pull my headers again. The ceramic coating started to powder in a couple of areas. Figured I needed to put this to bed once and for all. This time I took them to the only true ceramic coater in town. Couldn't believe that there is only one. He took one look and couldn't believe that they were given back to me like that. Lesson learned. Ceramic coating is not an easy process and you need to be sure the shop you choose is not just a glamorized powder coater looking to moonlight. Never works out. I should have them back by Thursday and will post some pics.

Also, my Speedhut Tach started acting wonky again, so I pulled it and sent it back to Speedhut. They are replacing it and should have it back by next week. Again, better to get this stuff squared away now than when I put the body on. I'm so close and this little stuff is just getting in the way.

In the meantime, I did get my fire extinguisher installed. I know this is another one of those debatable topics where size does matter, but I'd rather have something in the cockpit than nothing at all. I picked up the Drake bracket and a 1.4lb H3R HalGuard Fire Extinguisher from Summit. Came out pretty nice, although might be a little bit of a tight squeeze in the harness if I need it.

One thing I wanted to button up before I put the car back on the ground was to secure the lower radiator pipe. Coming from the Chevy world I have always thought that it was odd the way Ford designed that lower radiator tube and how it just kind of wiggled around down there without support. Sooo....I ordered McMaster Carr #11355T73 Vibration Dampening Clamp. Here's what it looks like:

304 Stainless steel with TPE rubber so it can take the heat. Tapped 1/4-20 bolts with a couple of hardened spacers and installed. Very secure!

Last edited by cv2065; 11-19-2019 at 08:19 PM.

23. Likes MSumners liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    3rd time was the charm on my headers. Got them back and they are legit this time. One thing I did change this time around was adding locking header bolts. I had ARP Stainless bolts with garden variety washers and had to tighten them up after what seemed to be every run. Anyhow, not cheap, but worth not having the headache. I bought the Totally Stainless version with the locking conical washers, 1" length and 5/16" head. Xtra long 8mm wrench gets on just about every bolt. Nice product. http://shop.totallystainless.com/pro...eaderbolts.php

Headers came out great and got them reinstalled. Used Remflex 3028 gaskets and anti seize on the SS bolts. Took 20 minutes and they were in. Ceramic coater told me that Matte black really is the only sheen that they will give a warranty on. Seems like they gave Gloss a go and it didn't work out in the long run. I would have preferred Satin, but these almost have a little sheen when the light hits them. We'll see if these bad boys work.

I had some mirrors show up today. Wanted some that would attach to the windshield frame instead of the body. And of course, they came powder coated gloss black. Look great. I'll set these aside for later down the road.

A friend reminded me of the little switch that you use to toggle through the Speedo and set the clock with. I had not given it a home, so used an available hole in the support bracket, right behind the dimmer. Worked like a champ.

Last edited by cv2065; 11-23-2019 at 11:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picked up my new 427 shifter from the powder coaters, as well as the e-Brake handle. Should be the last items that need to be powder coated. Man these look great. The shifter setup and color is just how I had imagined it. Nice when a plan comes together!

I will say that the new shifter is leaps over the stock FFR shifter. Not only does it look nicer, but because of the way that it is angled with a little extra height, it is much easier to run through the gears. Definitely worth the upgrade.

Tomorrow I plan to do a final recheck test on my lights, button up the front splash panels, test fit a couple of things on the body and one more go kart run. After that, the body will go on...Finally!!
    Last edited by cv2065; 11-24-2019 at 12:03 AM.

26. Likes Straversi liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice! That is one good looking shifter!
    Bradley

Build thread - Mk4, Coyote, IRS, Wilwood brakes, old-style soft top and accessories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good!

A test drive to Merritt Island around Christmas?
    Sigurd
    Type 65 Gen 3, 347 Fi, Tremec, IRS, Wilwood, AC, PS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    Nice! That is one good looking shifter!
    Agreed. The 427 shifter from ********** looks great. I think that's the only place you can buy one just like it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigurd View Post
    Looks good!

A test drive to Merritt Island around Christmas?
    That would be great Sigurd! I need to stop by and see your 65 Coupe. Are you back from yet? Just tying up some of the small stuff and hopefully get the body on within the next day or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Completed fitting of the elephant ears with nutserts and stainless black screws. I have 8 on each side. Probably too much, but hey, that's been the story of this entire build! I'll be coating both sides of the splash panels with Herculiner. Wasn't aware that they had an aerosol, so should make things easier. By the way, if anyone needs any, the only place that I can find stainless black screws is Albany County Fasteners. They also have black chrome. Even my coveted local Ace that has virtually everything only has the kind that rust after a bit.

I blew everything off with the compressor and pulled the front off of the jack stands. Had to take a moment to appreciate my work...

Forgot to mention on the last update that my Speedhut tachometer came back to me. Man those guys are fast. I sent it off on a Tuesday and had it back in my hands by the following Wednesday. Said the circuit board was fried and had to replace it. Great service from Speed Hut!

32. Likes Boydster, Higgybulin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I installed the side pipes back on today and needed to get one final run in before the body goes on. I needed to test my new tach, heat cycle my new ceramic pipes and of course, because its just plain fun. I have a whopping 16 miles on my ride and all seems very good. I was able to get to third gear through the neighborhood and was trying to bed my brake pads in a little. Lot of starting and stopping, but the manual brakes are feeling better than ever. Might still upgrade the pads down the road, but things are looking/feeling good at this point. Can't emphasize how much better that new shifter is.

One other note while driving this morning. I set off my first car alarm...

Kind of weird with nothing left to do but get the body on and moving on to that stage.
    Last edited by cv2065; 11-26-2019 at 12:11 PM.

34. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great! Like the blacked out look. We are essentially at the same point. Hoping to leverage some family help over the holiday to put the body on. : )
    MKIV #9542 Complete Kit, Coyote, IRS - Delivered - 2/19/19, First start - 9/8/19, Go Cart - 9/14/19
    1965 Mustang Convertible 4v 289
    Build Thread HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzz View Post
    Looks great! Like the blacked out look. We are essentially at the same point. Hoping to leverage some family help over the holiday to put the body on. : )
    Good to hear Cruzzz! Your build is looking great as well. Like you, I’ll be employing some reluctant family members to assist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blacked out definitely looks good. Did you go powder coat or ceramic on the headers/wheels/side pipes?

And are you also doing the fuel cap, windshield frame, etc.?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyFactoryFive View Post
    Blacked out definitely looks good. Did you go powder coat or ceramic on the headers/wheels/side pipes?

And are you also doing the fuel cap, windshield frame, etc.?
    Most everything is gloss black powder coated...Frame, all panels, wheels, windshield frame, fuel cap...pretty much everything that can be. The turn signal/tail light bezels, windshield frame and the hood latches were the only challenging areas. Bezels because those lighting parts are very delicate when you take them apart, and can be an issue going back together. The windshield frame because it can get warped during the heating process. I'm going with Optic Armor, so can adjust for that if needed. And the chrome hood latches have some plastic pieces inside, so they can't be Powder coated. I'll be using a 2K epoxy primer and paint for those from Eastwood.

The only area where powder coating won't hold up due to heat is the headers and exhaust. I have the headers ceramic coated and will get the pipes done after paint.

39. Thanks FlyFactoryFive thanked for this post
    Likes FlyFactoryFive liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven’t already, you might consider getting another push button for the clock. The gauge kit only comes with one.

Nice work on the seatbelts. I got in in a hurry and made the mistake of not thinking of the floor mat when I put my anti-submarine belt in on the driver’s side. Unexpected benefit of that mistake was when I cut a slot in the floor mat for the belt was the mat stays in place now.
    Bradley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTBradley View Post
    If you haven’t already, you might consider getting another push button for the clock. The gauge kit only comes with one.

Nice work on the seatbelts. I got in in a hurry and made the mistake of not thinking of the floor mat when I put my anti-submarine belt in on the driver’s side. Unexpected benefit of that mistake was when I cut a slot in the floor mat for the belt was the mat stays in place now.
    Thanks for the reminder for another push button cable. Badasp reminded me of that last week and I forgot to order, so just put an order in with Speedhut. Good deal on the floor mats. Mine have been bunching up so ordered a piece of diamond plate that I’ll cut to fit.

42. Likes GTBradley liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've been really busy wrapping up the year at work, and have my eyes set on getting the body on this week. I keep saying that and was going to make a valiant attempt this weekend, but ran out of black large head rivets so had to order another box of those to complete buttoning up the driver's side footbox. Things seem to be fitting a little tighter than they did way back when during fitment...Hmmm.

Anyhow, I think I left off my last post with wanting to get another push button cable from Speedhut for my clock. I did that. $8 for the cable, but $12 for shipping? It came quickly anyway. I installed it on the inside wall of my glovebox. Looks great and is functional.

I also ordered a piece of 1/4" Diamond Plate for my driver's side floor board. Thought it would of course hold up better than a floor mat, clean up easier, and it just looks down right industrial...and I'm digging it. My cut off wheel was screaming for mercy cutting this stuff, but it came out perfect. I dog eared one side so that it can easily be pulled out as its a definite custom, tight fit. Might get it PC'd black sometime down the road, but happy with it now. Whenever I go to events or shows I'll just put the Cobra floor mats right over it

If anyone is looking to get a piece, there is a seller on ebay that sells remnants for a great price. I bought a 1' x 2' piece for $30.

Another area that ate up some time was my stereo sub and amp plywood deck. I cut it backwards my first time around and just noticed it. The idea was to be able to pull the entire deck out towards the back of the trunk if I needed to, and wasn't able to do it. So, I cut another piece of plywood and made it right. I was able to slide it back some and that also resolved the trunk brackets from hitting my sub.

I installed brackets for my hydraulic trunk support kit from Mike Everson.

I had read a couple of threads that said when the trunk was closed, the brackets and struts were putting unnecessary strain on the hinges and possibly bowing the trunk lid, so I sent FFR a note and asked if they could send me the same brackets that they send out with their trunk support kit. I had them within a few days. Here is a comparison between the two. You can see the additional hole and extension for the new brackets that take off that stress. I'll use the rest of Everson's kit.

Last detail I focused on today was the Forte mechanical linkage. I've had no problems with it and the action is nice and smooth. Highly recommended. One thing though are the actuator brackets that come with the kits. It is adjustable so has a large U in the middle of the bracket. The way mine is setup, the pivoting point is at the top of the bracket. Although I have a lock nut on it, I've always thought that if it somehow came loose that I'd be without an accelerator as the entire rod assembly would fall to the bottom and lose its leverage. Would have been a better design if it had graduating holes instead of a giant opening.

So I forged up a small piece out of aluminum that fits right on the bracket itself and should safeguard if something came loose. The rod could only fall maybe 1/8". That would still give me the ability to get home and address. Probably not necessary, but just a safe guard. I did it for the bracket on the inside of the footbox as well.

I also used some 3/32" roll pins to pin each arm of the mechanical linkage. Added some Locktite and let's hope these arms never want to flop around loose.

Well, renewed some of the torn bulb seal from the first body fitting and awaiting my rivets so I can finish up the footbox. Nothing left to do but get the body on.
    Last edited by cv2065; 12-31-2019 at 11:42 PM.

44. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Happy New Year to everyone!! I was finally able to get my body on for the last time today. Buttoned up the driver's side footbox, which is an odd experience. Kept procrastinating, ensuring that I didn't forget anything. Very 'permanent' part of the build for me and came together nicely.

Recruited the wife and son to get the body on. Process went smoothly...well, at least for the most part. The first fitting was odd, as the dash was not aligning like it did on my initial fitting a year ago. Can't believe its been that long. Anyhow, the lip of the body over the dash was 3/16" too high, where I could see the 3/4" tube towards the middle area. I lowered the dash with some aluminum brackets on initial fit so that I could access the screws and remove the dash if necessary. I spent a lot of time on this part, as there are no do overs, and thought I had it perfect. So after pulling and pushing the body back and forth for a couple of hours, it just was not coming together at the dash hoop. White flag went up and pulled the body to see what in the heck was going on....

I was thinking...was the body a bit warped from the time on the body buck and just needed to settle? Had I measured wrong the first time? The only thing different was adding the expansion foam and completing the driver's side footbox with the top two panels. Body was resting perfectly on the firewall bulb seal. It was not touching the driver's footbox or dash, so thought it had to be the expansion foam only compressing to 1/4"...raising it up a bit.

So I took off the foam and reinstalled the body. Wife and son are just thrilled at this point. Low and behold, body lip over the dash was exactly like it was before...3/16" too high. So after staring at things again for another hour or so, I ended up pulling the passenger side of the body at a diagonal by the windshield mount in order to even it out at the 3/4" radiator tube side to side. Took at step back at the rear of the car and the dash was suddenly in the right spot. Installed the rear and front QJ bolts, which I think helped things as well once the front grommets were in place and the nose lifted. Moral of the story is that there are so many things going on with the fitment of these cars, one just has to have the patience to keep moving things around if the alignment is not there. A quick text to Jeff Kleiner to get some ideas doesn't hurt either...

I bought the larger sleeves from ********** to take up all of the slack in the grommet. They are powdercoated black as well, so these in the picture will be replaced.

I then measured shock tower to wheel well lip front and back and measurements were equal. I also measured floor to wheel well lip, which was roughly 3/16" off but I think this is more due to the shock adjustments and will address later. Overall, looks really good. Front wheels are centered in the wheel wells, with the rears slightly off towards the back, but I've read that is 'normal' for these cars.

Last edited by cv2065; 01-01-2020 at 01:55 AM.

46. Likes Aircontroller liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Happy New Year!

Great idea on that diamond plate. Can you pls share a link from that ebay seller? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    I've been really busy wrapping up the year at work, and have my eyes set on getting the body on this week. I keep saying that and was going to make a valiant attempt this weekend, but ran out of black large head rivets so had to order another box of those to complete buttoning up the driver's side footbox. Things seem to be fitting a little tighter than they did way back when during fitment...Hmmm.

Anyhow, I think I left off my last post with wanting to get another push button cable from Speedhut for my clock. I did that. $8 for the cable, but $12 for shipping? It came quickly anyway. I installed it on the inside wall of my glovebox. Looks great and is functional.

I also ordered a piece of 1/4" Diamond Plate for my driver's side floor board. Thought it would of course hold up better than a floor mat, clean up easier, and it just looks down right industrial...and I'm digging it. My cut off wheel was screaming for mercy cutting this stuff, but it came out perfect. I dog eared one side so that it can easily be pulled out as its a definite custom, tight fit. Might get it PC'd black sometime down the road, but happy with it now. Whenever I go to events or shows I'll just put the Cobra floor mats right over it

If anyone is looking to get a piece, there is a seller on ebay that sells remnants for a great price. I bought a 1' x 2' piece for $30.

Another area that ate up some time was my stereo sub and amp plywood deck. I cut it backwards my first time around and just noticed it. The idea was to be able to pull the entire deck out towards the back of the trunk if I needed to, and wasn't able to do it. So, I cut another piece of plywood and made it right. I was able to slide it back some and that also resolved the trunk brackets from hitting my sub.

I installed brackets for my hydraulic trunk support kit from Mike Everson.

I had read a couple of threads that said when the trunk was closed, the brackets and struts were putting unnecessary strain on the hinges and possibly bowing the trunk lid, so I sent FFR a note and asked if they could send me the same brackets that they send out with their trunk support kit. I had them within a few days. Here is a comparison between the two. You can see the additional hole and extension for the new brackets that take off that stress. I'll use the rest of Everson's kit.

Last detail I focused on today was the Forte mechanical linkage. I've had no problems with it and the action is nice and smooth. Highly recommended. One thing though are the actuator brackets that come with the kits. It is adjustable so has a large U in the middle of the bracket. The way mine is setup, the pivoting point is at the top of the bracket. Although I have a lock nut on it, I've always thought that if it somehow came loose that I'd be without an accelerator as the entire rod assembly would fall to the bottom and lose its leverage. Would have been a better design if it had graduating holes instead of a giant opening.

So I forged up a small piece out of aluminum that fits right on the bracket itself and should safeguard if something came loose. The rod could only fall maybe 1/8". That would still give me the ability to get home and address. Probably not necessary, but just a safe guard. I did it for the bracket on the inside of the footbox as well.

I also used some 3/32" roll pins to pin each arm of the mechanical linkage. Added some Locktite and let's hope these arms never want to flop around loose.

Well, renewed some of the torn bulb seal from the first body fitting and awaiting my rivets so I can finish up the footbox. Nothing left to do but get the body on.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted to join the Lexan club for my windshield. Figured now would be as good a time as any to get it done. So I ordered a 24" x 72" sheet from Optic Armor. So, it's essentially a piece of 3/16" polycarbonate that has a special anti scratch coating. Probably similar to a few other brands out there.

Optic Armor came in a heavy plastic clear protective sheeting that is sealed. I made a template out of cardboard for the old windshield. Simple enough, just laid the cardboard flat and set the windshield on top of it. Created a center line on the windshield and cardboard so that I could tell if it moved as I rotated it from side to side while tracing the pattern.

Once completed, I eyeballed the size of the template on the Optic Armor and used 2" blue painters tape to create an outline that I could draw the pattern on. Also served as additional protection to the polycarbonate. Traced the cardboard and I'm in business. Then used a 6tpi wood jigsaw blade which made easy work of the Optic Armor. Just have to take it very slow so that it doesn't heat up while cutting.

Finished product. Now just need to fit into the frame and trim as needed, but it should be close.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another small project that I need to complete this week is the painting of my hood and trunk handles. These could not be Powdercoated, so using a 2K primer and Black Gloss paint from Eastwood. Started sanding by hand with 320 grit sandpaper with the goal of removing anything and everything shiny. Took about 5 minutes per piece. Look how easy it was to get through the chrome finish. I'll update with the final product.

Next up is to fit my doors and lights. I will try to get those done tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your build is looking great! I have had the Lexan windshield upgrade on my mind, maybe this will inspire me now rather than wait until mine cracks. You just ordered the "Cobra Shelby 1962-67" replacement window from Optic Armor?

Thanks

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Eaton View Post
    Your build is looking great! I have had the Lexan windshield upgrade on my mind, maybe this will inspire me now rather than wait until mine cracks. You just ordered the "Cobra Shelby 1962-67" replacement window from Optic Armor?

Thanks

Mark
    Hey Mark. Thanks for the kudos. The OA piece I ordered was just a straight 24" x 72" 3/16" piece. Lead time is about a week as they cut to order. I think you can order pre-formed products from OA, but its virtually twice the price. I paid $250 plus shipping. Not sure about the Shelby replacement piece, but I'd be wary that it might not fit 100% on an FFR and you may or may not be able to trim to fit. I did ask and they don't have a template for FFR windshields. HTH

Post Thanks / Like
    Did it come with a gasket?
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast