Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Wrecked go cart

Post Thanks / Like

Wrecked go cart

Everybody needs that guy to point at and use as an example of what not to do. This week, it’s me. I have been go carting for a month or so and driving it pretty hard. Some would call it snake bit but I’ll just call it stupidity. I layed into the throttle in second and it came around on me faster than I could catch it. I went off the road and slid up a small hill and backed through a wire fence. The good news is, I didn’t get hurt other than my pride. The roadster survived better than I thought considering what happened. I bent up the panels on the back and the drivers foot box. The worst damage was the drivers side pipe got bent under the car and twisted the header into a pretzel. Both back tires have gravel in the bead so it was skidding hard. The scary part is the top strand of barbed wire was still intact. If I had gone through face first, it was about neck height. There are scratch marks up and over the roll bars. Here is the take away:

DON’T BE A ME!!

There are plenty of warnings on this forum about the power and driving characteristics of these roadsters. They are serious and they are talking to you!
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Happy to hear that you are OK. The car can always be fixed. Think very few of us if we are honest with ourselves has not had at least in OH S**T!!!!! moment.
    Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 07-24-2018 at 06:44 PM.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang man. Glad you're OK. Car can be fixed... you, not so much. That wire part... whew. Scary.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear that YOU came through OK Scott. The car can be fixed. We had another Indiana guy have a go cart incident a few years ago that put him into intensive care for weeks and subsequently didn't get medically cleared to drive for almost two years. It can happen so be careful out there.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    WOW. Glad you are ok and didnt get arrested. You are driving an unregister uninsured not road legal thing on the roads and you are pushing it that hard. Could have been a hell of a lot worse. Thanks for reminding us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you are safe. I also have been in gocart for a few months. I had a scare when I drop the clutch while rolling over a speed bump in the neigborhood and she got sidways real quick. That scared the s%$@ out of me. Im sure you learn a leason the wont be quickly forgot. Now that it happened to you in the gocart stage, maybe once you are in paint it will never happen. That would have been a costly repair.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, really sorry to hear about that. As others have said, glad you are OK. An expensive lesson for sure. Hopefully all of us will learn from it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear that you are OK! Cars are always secondary to your well being! Goes without saying that neck height barbed wire is certainly a wake up call any way you look at it!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sorry that you had this mishap, but you'll likely never have such an issue again.
    Good Luck & You'll Be Back Go-Karting Sooner Than You Think!

Post Thanks / Like
    Scott, Thank you for posting this. So glad that you are okay. I've got about 10 miles on our go cart, no seat, no belts, only my dumb *** sliding around on the metal floor, grinning like an idiot. However, I've been very tempted to lay into it, but have held myself back because the engine (4.6L4v with super charger) only has a base tune, which I've been upset about as the engine builder did not like running the gocart on the dyno at wide open throttle without more protection for the driver. I now realize that I could have and quite likely would have ended up in a similar situation were it not for this professional knowing about safety. Your story also reinforces how important it is to be fully prepared for the consequences of my right foot and the place with the least consequences is usually not the street.
    Cheers,
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like
    Pictures!!

Glad you're ok. Pretty chilling to think of what that barb wire could have done to you.

I vividly remember how quick these things can swap ends. IMO, if you are at all inclined to step on the go pedal hard, one of the first things you should do is take it to an autocross. You will spin, and you'll learn how fast it comes around. If you're not experienced, it's shocking. Short wheel base, solid axle, and no power steering is a great recipe for a fast, uncontrolled spin.

I vividly remember the first time I spun out. I was pulling out of a gas station at night, off-camber turn, went around before I knew it and stalled on the side of the road, literally right across from a police car I hadn't seen. He saw the whole thing - turned his lights on and pulled up behind me. I thought I was going to get handcuffed. Instead he comes up and asks what kind of car it is and just gawks all over it while I try to get it started. It fired up after a couple minutes of cranking. All seemed well, and he complimented the car, told me to be safe and have a good night. I drove very slowly all the rest of the way home. Ha! I'll never be able to make sense of how dumb and lucky I was at the same time that night.

Post Thanks / Like
    As other other have said, glad you’re okay. Also thanks for posting as many wouldn’t. This is a good reminder whether in go-cart stage or road worthy, these cars are fun to drive but can bite back quickly.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Count your blessings that the damage is fixable and you are okay. I had my O $hit moment on an Autocross course. Every time I think about playing road racer I remember my autocross moment and the urge subsides. These cars will swap ends faster than most of us can react.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Doug View Post
    These cars will swap ends faster than most of us can react.
    Amen Brother Doug, Amen!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to hear you’re ok...a good lesson that may help you in the future!
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad you are ok, it took guts to post this and I'm glad you did. We are all human.

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    very glad to hear you are ok.
    There are sooo many in the same boat as you but never say anything.
    Is the car aligned?
    if not they can be evil.
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    With the rest of the bunch, I'm glad your OK. And thanks for telling on yourself in the spirit of warning others.

If you have a Cobra and haven't done a few autocrosses, this is you....
    chimp.png

Heck, 3 yrs of autocross and two local class champion trophies (not as impressive as it sounds) and this is me on cold tires:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]89364[/ATTACH
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Avalanche325; 07-23-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Alignment and corner balancing really help keep these things pointed in the right direction when traction decides to go on a smoking break. Sticky tires also are a big help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, its too bad we couldn't all use a simulator to get used to the characteristics of these cars before we push them hard. Being a former dirt oval racer, I had to learn that the hard way too. no practice or training. When you think about it the, wheelbase, and power to weight ratio, along with a real soft right pedal, it can be a recipe for disaster. I'm building mine to the same specs as far as drivetrain is concerned, so its good to have this info. Thanks for posting. As mentioned above, it takes intestinal fortitude to admit mistakes. Have you been thinking about track days every now and then. I have, and the thought of topsiding, or hitting a tire barrier head on doesn't sound like a ton of fun in a roadster.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    If you have a Cobra and haven't done a few autocrosses, this is you....
    chimp.png
    Great Picture Of Me Avalanche, Great Picture!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-23-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Bobby Doug;333141These cars will swap ends faster than most of us can react.[/QUOTE]

Also happy to hear you are ok.

I had my first oh **** moment about a week after I got my car on the road. Tried to powerslide it while turning right onto a country road. Came around faster than any car I have driven. Quite a bit of time driving rear wheel drive cars, including a miata with a similar short wheelbase never had a problem sliding it around ever corner I ever met. Luckily there was a wide gravel shoulder to a shallow grass ditch and while I threw some stones I didn’t bang anything up.
    If it had been a curb I’m sure I would have bent the car up.
    Apparently these cars don’t like being slid around.
    I don’t try to slide it anymore, at least not till I can find a big skid pad to slide it around at.

Post Thanks / Like
    A good reminder to us all, thanks for swallowing your pride and sharing.
    I'll add to it...
    These high powered machines will also take on a very different set of characteristics in wet conditions. Be double careful - a fully traction controlled F-Type R (550hp 505 ftlb) taught me that the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Alignment and corner balancing really help keep these things pointed in the right direction when traction decides to go on a smoking break. Sticky tires also are a big help.
    I thought the same thing when I first heard about this. I wonder how many go karts are done with only limited setups, including unfinished alignment, ride height, tire pressure, etc. Not to mention may or may not have bolted down seats, safety belts, turns signals/brake lights, the list could probably go on. Add to that they're typically not titled, licensed, or have collision insurance. All a recipe for a bad outcome. Like others, I applaud the OP for swallowing his pride and posting. Not sure I would be that willing. The go kart is kind of a rite of passage for these builds, and I admit to putting around my neighborhood with each of my builds. But lets all learn from this.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-23-2018 at 10:48 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing and glad you're okay. This post and the youtube crash videos have convinced me to proceed with caution for my upcoming go-karting. Seriously considering some fuure track time too. Hope the repairs go well. Thanks again.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sbhunter:

It took some guts to post that...thanks for reminding all us that these things are a handfull, with or without the bodies on! Glad you weren't hurt! I still cringe when I read that post!
    FFR MK4 #8317, 393 Cleveland, Lunati VooDoo solid roller, CHI 3V heads and intake, TKO 600, Std roadster seats, 8.8 3.55 diff, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, Ford "Magnetic Metallic", silver ghost stripe. (Sold 10/16/21)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    Tried to powerslide it while turning right onto a country road. Came around faster than any car I have driven.
    Not trying to be the fun-nanny around here, but my request to everyone who owns one of these cars or is contemplating building / buying one is.... Please don't do this on the street - the object that stops your out-of-control slide could be another person. Bruised egos and bent chassis tubes will be the least of concerns if we hurt someone.

Let's keep the intentional over-driving of these cars to the track or autocross - heck, even then, sliding isn't the fast way around a corner anyway.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

28. Likes MisterAdam liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you are OK. That is some scary stuff
    After driving my car for some time, I am thinking about putting a stopper on my gas pedal. Some sort of blocker that would prevent me to go a full throttle.
    I got the power, but not really need it on my daily commuting to work...
    Life is short, so start living it.
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-in-the-garage!
    delivery date: 10/31/2017, first start 2/24/2018, title and registration passed 6/22/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the seats, roll bars and harnesses fully installed. The car has been aligned and corner balanced and ride height was set, tire pressures set, etc. it was a fully set up driver short body and lights. No it was not insured or registered. I live in the country and have only driven it on roads where there is no one around. That does not excuse my idiocy with my right foot but I wanted to answer some of the questions about other factors. I have extensive driving experience with off road vehicles and am used to going sideways. The rate of pivot of this car is far in excess of anything I have driven or was ready for. I appreciate the comments and only hope that this thread will save someone else the grief and cost that I have incurred.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    SB,

We all have Boo-Boos, do stupid things, but the best mistakes are those that make us think.
    If you want to see stupidity, check out my seats and non-existent seat belts during my go kart testing.

https://youtu.be/PCngiKoopkA

Only your pride is hurt and that pesky side pipe, but you'll be back in action and good as new in no time.
    Don't waste time Stinken Thinken and you'll be better before you know it.

Good Luck & God's Speed!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a wise man who learns from the mistakes of others. Thank you for being so honest. Your "educational experience" may have saved lives. Glad it saved yours! Now go forth and sin no more!! You know, one good outcome from this is you get to do all those panels and parts again, and you will do them even more expertly than the first time!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing for all our benefit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ouch. Thankfully, things usually work out for the best. This is especially timely, as I'm getting closer to this point myself. I just better remember your lesson! Glad you're OK. As others have said, the car can always be fixed.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    It takes a hell of a lot to own up to it and put the ego aside. Happy you are okay. Thank you for sharing.