Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5

Thread: Narrowing the front end of a mk4 to accept a 289 street slabside body?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Narrowing the front end of a mk4 to accept a 289 street slabside body?

I would really like to build a Factory Five mk4 and put a slabside 289 street body on it. So being an engineer I want to plan it all out ahead of time. My concern is I don't want to mess up the front end suspension geometry as driving a good performing car is a very important part of the objective.

So, Mr Bruce indicates the 289 street body is 61-62 inches wide in front. The mk4 is 67 1/8 according to a drawing I found. So I need to figure out how to remove 6.125" if the above information is correct.

Pindrive lower control arms are 1.625" narrower than standard. Once again I read this on this site somewhere. That would be 3.25" closer to the goal. 2.875" still to reduce.

Standard 15" Hildebrand are 15 X 8 on the front with 5" backspacing leaving 3" from brake rotor face to the outside of rim. Dayton bolt on wire wheels look like they are available in a beadlace in 15x6 with 4 backspace leaving 2" from brake rotor face to outer wheel edge. 1" narrower per side so 2" closer to the goal with only 0.875" remaining. The Dayton catalog is not very clear so I'm not positive I got that right and even less sure the wire wheels would look 60'so British sports car.

I would greatly appreciate any input pointing out errors in the numbers, logic, wheel selection, where to find the last 0.875"..

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by Jimtmich; 07-23-2018 at 08:54 PM.