Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trunk Pieces Fitment

Post Thanks / Like

Trunk Pieces Fitment

Hey all. The two larger pieces that make up the trunk floor overlap each other about mid-way in the trunk. Do these two pieces join there together with rivets to make one piece, or is the upper piece riveted by itself and just overlaps the lower piece? The lower piece does not have any steel to attach to at that point, so wanted to be sure. Here's a picture...Thanks!

IMG_1080.jpg
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    They get drilled and riveted together.

Post Thanks / Like
    To expand on what Murd said -- Two rows of rivets in the upper trunk piece. One along the edge between the two pieces. A second through the upper trunk floor into the steel frame rail a couple inches in front. Seen in the picture below. Also, in case you haven't seen in other build threads or been told directly, you need to rivet the upper trunk floor before the cockpit rear wall. This picture also shows why. The rivets along the front would be tough to reach with the cockpit wall in place.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the clarification and picture!
    Last edited by cv2065; 07-24-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Also, make sure you run the rear wiring harness, fuel and brake lines before securing the floor.
    It's a pain in the "You Pick The Body Part" to deal with those items while lying on your back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoDadGo View Post
    Also, make sure you run the rear wiring harness, fuel and brake lines before securing the floor.
    It's a pain in the "You Pick The Body Part" to deal with those items while lying on your back.
    Thanks GDG! Tips like that will keep me young! Powder coating time will be soon, so should give me about a week or so to work on that layout and the suspension...if I can ever get my spindles off of backorder.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    To expand on what Murd said -- Two rows of rivets in the upper trunk piece. One along the edge between the two pieces. A second through the upper trunk floor into the steel frame rail a couple inches in front. Seen in the picture below. Also, in case you haven't seen in other build threads or been told directly, you need to rivet the upper trunk floor before the cockpit rear wall. This picture also shows why. The rivets along the front would be tough to reach with the cockpit wall in place.

Here is a question I've been wanting to ask for a while. I didn't rivet the bottom of the small side triangle piece in your picture that isn't painted because first I installed the large side piece, the one that gets weather stripping which blocks access for rivets at the bottom on the small piece. So I just used silicon at the bottom of the small piece, that's good right? I think the manual sequence is backwards on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    Here is a question I've been wanting to ask for a while. I didn't rivet the bottom of the small side triangle piece in your picture that isn't painted because first I installed the large side piece, the one that gets weather stripping which blocks access for rivets at the bottom on the small piece. So I just used silicon at the bottom of the small piece, that's good right? I think the manual sequence is backwards on this.
    I think you'll be fine. That piece isn't going anywhere. I agree the sequence of the panels in the manual could be better. That's why I mock up things repeatedly with cleco's before permanently mounting anything.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you'll be fine. That piece isn't going anywhere. I agree the sequence of the panels in the manual could be better. That's why I mock up things repeatedly with cleco's before permanently mounting anything.
    Paul - What color is the powder coat in your picture? You powder coated every panel correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cv2065 View Post
    Paul - What color is the powder coat in your picture? You powder coated every panel correct?
    My powder coater calls that color "IG 90 satin glimmer." Sorry, I don't know any more details or brand. It's a stock color they use. It closely matched the Tiger Drylac DB 703 Glimmer, 49/84340 Factory Five had on the frame of my #8674 Anniversary Roadster, so used it for the aluminum panels pictured. Like the color so much I also used it for all the panels on my current Gen 3 Coupe build.

How many panels to coat is an often discussed topic. I'm in the "all" category unless they're completely buried. Four are visible in this picture. The lower inside covers and the upper inside trunk covers, which aren't standard kit pieces BTW. I also don't do the cockpit sill pieces or the dash. Some say they only want to coat pieces visible from the engine compartment. That's fine if that's what you want. I find many are visible inside the wheel wells. In fact coating them pretty much makes the inside of the wheel wells disappear. I also want the underside coated. Just my personal preference. With that in mind, leaves only the few mentioned as uncoated. Some also think they can save money by only having visible sides coated. I've worked with two different powder coaters and both said this didn't save any money. In fact would probably be more expensive for the added handling and effort. Powder is cheap and the oven time is the same either way. Several others have reported the same response from their powder coaters.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-26-2018 at 07:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My powder coater calls that color "IG 90 satin glimmer." Sorry, I don't know any more details or brand. It's a stock color they use. It closely matched the Tiger Drylac DB 703 Glimmer, 49/84340 Factory Five had on the frame of my #8674 Anniversary Roadster, so used it for the aluminum panels pictured. Like the color so much I also used it for all the panels on my current Gen 3 Coupe build.

How many panels to coat is an often discussed topic. I'm in the "all" category unless they're completely buried. Four are visible in this picture. The lower inside covers and the upper inside trunk covers, which aren't standard kit pieces BTW. I also don't do the cockpit sill pieces or the dash. Some say they only want to coat pieces visible from the engine compartment. That's fine if that's what you want. I find many are visible inside the wheel wells. In fact coating them pretty much makes the inside of the wheel wells disappear. I also want the underside coated. Just my personal preference. With that in mind, leaves only the few mentioned as uncoated. Some also think they can save money by only having visible sides coated. I've worked with two different powder coaters and both said this didn't save any money. In fact would probably be more expensive for the added handling and effort. Powder is cheap and the oven time is the same either way. Several others have reported the same response from their powder coaters.
    Thanks for the info. I thought the color looked great.. I plan to coat just about everything. One thing you said caught my attention, which was about the upper inside trunk covers not being standard kit pieces? Funny you mention that as I was looking at this last night while mocking up the trunk, and installed the lower pieces but could not find the upper pieces as I was looking at your picture. I even sent FFR a note with pictures that I was missing those panels. If they are not standard, did you custom make them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. I thought the color looked great.. I plan to coat just about everything. One thing you said caught my attention, which was about the upper inside trunk covers not being standard kit pieces? Funny you mention that as I was looking at this last night while mocking up the trunk, and installed the lower pieces but could not find the upper pieces as I was looking at your picture. I even sent FFR a note with pictures that I was missing those panels. If they are not standard, did you custom make them?
    I made them. Like so many things on these builds, not mandatory or maybe even required. I just prefer the cleaner look and easier to carpet flat panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    I made them. Like so many things on these builds, not mandatory or maybe even required. I just prefer the cleaner look and easier to carpet flat panel.
    Looks great and finished. FFR should include those if they are going to include the lower panels. Well, I ordered the heavier weight firewall, so the spare panel might be the perfect size to cut a couple panels out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great and finished. FFR should include those if they are going to include the lower panels. Well, I ordered the heavier weight firewall, so the spare panel might be the perfect size to cut a couple panels out.
    In all fairness, that part of the trunk is barely visible once the body is on. Mk3's (and perhaps earlier models but those were before my time) had 2-piece trunk sides. The front half was on the inside. The back half on the outside. I seem to recall early Mk4's did as well and then were changed to the 1-piece. But don't quote me on that. Anyway, that's where the idea came from. I'm not the only one who's added the fill panels. It's a nice touch, but a pretty small detail in the big picture.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-26-2018 at 07:34 PM.