BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Advice needed: Most reliable hydraulic clutch setup? SBF, T5

Post Thanks / Like

Question Advice needed: Most reliable hydraulic clutch setup? SBF, T5

Replacing the clutch plates at the moment and I have the engine, SBF 302 apart from the T5 at the moment and was wondering what the best hydraulic clutch slave/pedal setup is?

What is your experience? What would you do differently?

I have MKIII and a '87 'stang pedal box, not adverse to replacing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want to buy a complete kit, I would contact Mike Forte and buy one of his products. To my knowledge, no one has ever been dissatisfied by them.

I can't comment on the various hydraulic throwout bearings on the market, other than to say I've never read any complaints about them. It sure seems like a simple way to install a hydraulic clutch, and avoid the little problems I mention below, if you don't mind the cost.

I built my own to save about $300 over those options, but my setup required welding up a bracket to mount the slave cylinder, and another bracket to make the rod end on the slave cylinder attach to the clutch fork. The problem I have is that even with a 1 1/8" master cylinder in the Wilwood pedal box, the clutch pedal needs to move more than I'd like to disengage the clutch (with a 7/8" bore Speedway slave cylinder). I may end up switching to a 5/8" or so slave cylinder. So, if you want to make your own setup, use the smallest-bore slave cylinder you can find, and tuck it in against the transmission case as much as possible to get the most actual travel out of the slave cylinder.

Cheap Hydro Clutch 1.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a setup from these guys. Pretty simple setup. Mine was for a TKO with a Wilwood pedal box.

Your setup will be a bit different as shown in the link below.

http://www.dazecars.com/dazed/TestT5kit.html

Fortes Parts is also a great resource
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands