BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Hello from Kansas City, planning a Mk4 build

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Kansas City, planning a Mk4 build

Hello all,

Like many on here, I've thought about building a Cobra replica for years. About two years ago My kids are showing interest in wanting to build a car, which got me thinking more seriously about building a car and thinking about what might be a good option for something to build with them. Then my wife said that Cobra replicas were her favorite, and that about sealed the decision process. Then I got to sit in a completed Cobra at Factory Five's display at EAA Airventure in Oshkosh (biggest aviation gathering of the year for those who have no idea what I'm talking about). I was really, really impressed with the quality feel of the cars and found I was able to fit quite comfortably. If they'd had a show discount, I would've written a check then and there to get the ball rolling.

Back in college I was a professional mechanic (mostly worked on Jaguars) and I've done almost all of my wrench turning since on my own vehicles. Most of what I deal with are pretty complex things, and so I'm looking forward to building a Cobra as just a simple fun car, which for me is something different. Most importantly will be the fun of doing it with the kids. Yeah, it'll take longer that way, but that's just fine. Not in a rush to finish it and getting to do something like this with my kids has been something I've wanted to do since before I had kids.

The end goal will be a fun street car that I might take to track nights from time to time, but we're going to stick with the 4-link, with a 302 and a T-5. Carburetor and distributor, just keep it basic. Drive it on nice days.

Right now I'm working on figuring out the donor car portion of things, I'll make a separate thread on that.

Looking forward to getting things started!

-Ted

Post Thanks / Like
    Ted
    Welcome to the asylum
    There are several "like minded lunatics" around KC including a father and son with MK4's and a vendor named
    Richard Oben< North Race Cars IIRC and my 33 Hemi hot rod still in process at this point. There's also a type
    65 Daytona in the area that is very nice. Enjoy the build.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Dale,

Thanks. Glad to hear there are some more of us around the KC area. We live in the southwest side of town - address is Paola but we're closer to Spring Hill.

-Ted

Post Thanks / Like
    Ted,

Welcome. There is an FFR Summer sale that goes until the end of August. Look at their site for details, but you can save some cash on options. Good Luck.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Gary,

Thanks. I actually just reserved my spot (completion date is mid-September). I picked about $2,300 options that gets me on that 20% discount point. I don't see getting to $4k in options from what I'm looking at, but I'm going to think about it more over the next month as I work on further planning and starting to acquire parts in preparation for its arrival.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you once own a miata?

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve never owned a Miata although I have come close a few times.

Do you fly? Asking based on your user name and Signature.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ask because I knew a guy named flyinmiata on another forum. I do fly. I have about 3000 hrs in the C130 (Air Force).

Post Thanks / Like
    I’ve used the “Flying[whatever]” username on other forums, but never with a Miata attached to it.

Awesome on the C-130. I’ve also got around 3k hours, mostly piston in Aztec/310/Navajo/414. Currently flying an MU-2.

10. Likes TexasAviator liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ted,
    Welcome! I'm in the finishing stages of our MKIV build. We're picking up the body tomorrow from a local painter, who has completed many of MKIV's over the last few years. Also dropping off a go-cart that is just a couple of blocks from our place in Olathe, to have that freshly painted body installed. There are a couple of other builds going on in the Olathe area at this time that are in different stages. There is also a very active Cobra Club, Mid America Cobra Club in KC, that I can recommend. I'm certain that any of us would be happy to have you stop by to check them out. Feel free to send me a PM.
    Vince

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Vince, I'll send you a PM!