BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Six weeks from ordering. A few ???

Post Thanks / Like

Question Six weeks from ordering. A few ???

I am about a month away from placing my order for a Mk4 Complete Kit.
    I would appreciate any suggestions from the forum. I plan to use a BOSS 302 from Ford Performance with Tremec TKO 600 and IRS. I am on a pretty tight budget as I am retired.
    I plan to use the Russ Thompson turn signal setup and front battery (from someone).
    For the IRS, I am not sure yet. New or take out. Take out comes with brakes for about $800 vs new for about $2200.
    I am in St. Johns, Florida. Anyone out there near me?
    Anyone do their own body work?
    Anyone have a chassis dolly or body buck they want to get rid of?
    Ditto for engine hoist, two post lift, etc.
    I have to wait until my new house (read GARAGE) is finished, so I have about 6 weeks yet.
    Any help is appriciated.
    Hope everyone is having a great day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's First FFR View Post
    I am about a month away from placing my order for a Mk4 Complete Kit.
    I would appreciate any suggestions from the forum. I plan to use a BOSS 302 from Ford Performance with Tremec TKO 600 and IRS. I am on a pretty tight budget as I am retired.
    I plan to use the Russ Thompson turn signal setup and front battery (from someone).
    For the IRS, I am not sure yet. New or take out. Take out comes with brakes for about $800 vs new for about $2200.
    I am in St. Johns, Florida. Anyone out there near me?
    Anyone do their own body work?
    Anyone have a chassis dolly or body buck they want to get rid of?
    Ditto for engine hoist, two post lift, etc.
    I have to wait until my new house (read GARAGE) is finished, so I have about 6 weeks yet.
    Any help is appriciated.
    Hope everyone is having a great day.

I ordered my stage 2 for the hot rod back at the first of May and it is just being completed this weekend. You might want to give them a call and see how far out they are on orders right now. You might be able to order now and have it show up right when your garage is clean and ready for it.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    If you’re on a budget as you say, I would question the IRS. It’s a nice option but a luxury IMHO as these are not DD’s but if you plan long drives a lot then it has value.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll LOVE the BOSS Engine. I went the same route.

2nd the ordering... they showed up 6 weeks late (Stewart Shipping), on top of a 10 week lead time. So don't be afraid to click order. They can also hold the kit a few weeks. So should be no issue.

I'm on the opposite coast, so can't help with dolleys. Good luck and HAVE FUN!
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jeff,

You must be getting really excited getting close to pull the trigger day. New house and an FFR.....NICE!

You have several FFRs in your area. I am in Jax Beach. There is one in Green Cove Springs, one in Nocatee, one in Jacksonville, and one coming soon to Orange Park. We get together at times and do cruises, meet for lunch, etc. Two of us are avid autocrossers.

I did my own body and paint. It is a lot of work, but is very rewarding. If you want to do it, there is a huge amount of support and knowledge from our two forum paint / body gurus. You can get great results. You are welcome to come and have a look at mine.

Let us know how you plan to use the car. That will help with suggestions. Just general thoughts from me:
    1. Power steering. I would put that in the want to have column for a cruiser. 110% MUST have if you autocross. Not an expensive upgrade.
    2. Brakes are something that if budget allows, I would upgrade to Wilwoods. That one is pricey though.
    3. I am not a fan of a front battery for a few reasons. The big one is weight distribution. You want the weight in the back of this car ("50/50 perfect" is automotive journalist B/S). Heat is not good for a battery. Once you install it, you won't have to touch it for years. Install larger cables and you will never have an issue.
    4. The TKO. Great transmission, but you have a 50% chance that it will leak. If I had to do it over again I would reseal the case before installation. Guess which 50% I fell into.
    5. Trunk mod. There is room between the trunk floor and the fuel tank that you can make use of. It is well worth it. Easy to make it up yourself, or there is even a kit out there. I didn't bother until I discovered that my helmet didn't fit in the trunk.
    6. The IRS is a new design and supposed to be very good. None of us around your area have that version. We have either the 3-link or the old IRS. I am sure we could get you a ride in each if that would help.

Which engine exactly? A Boss block can do 302, 347, or 363. Now is the time to do the stroker if there is any possibility of wanting a little more.
    I am a maybe on an engine hoist. I also have a Hobby-Air system if you decide to do your own paint. Modern paint is evil stuff that you don't want to breath.

Other stuff to think about. We are here to wreck your budget.
    Glove box
    Heater - I use it a lot. Especially when heading out early to an event.
    heated seats - I use these too.
    Russ Thompson gas pedal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    I ordered my stage 2 for the hot rod back at the first of May and it is just being completed this weekend. You might want to give them a call and see how far out they are on orders right now. You might be able to order now and have it show up right when your garage is clean and ready for it.
    You are absolutely right. Order now especially because of the sale.
    Thanks a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    Hi Jeff,

You must be getting really excited getting close to pull the trigger day. New house and an FFR.....NICE!

You have several FFRs in your area. I am in Jax Beach. There is one in Green Cove Springs, one in Nocatee, one in Jacksonville, and one coming soon to Orange Park. We get together at times and do cruises, meet for lunch, etc. Two of us are avid autocrossers.

I did my own body and paint. It is a lot of work, but is very rewarding. If you want to do it, there is a huge amount of support and knowledge from our two forum paint / body gurus. You can get great results. You are welcome to come and have a look at mine.

Let us know how you plan to use the car. That will help with suggestions. Just general thoughts from me:
    1. Power steering. I would put that in the want to have column for a cruiser. 110% MUST have if you autocross. Not an expensive upgrade.
    2. Brakes are something that if budget allows, I would upgrade to Wilwoods. That one is pricey though.
    3. I am not a fan of a front battery for a few reasons. The big one is weight distribution. You want the weight in the back of this car ("50/50 perfect" is automotive journalist B/S). Heat is not good for a battery. Once you install it, you won't have to touch it for years. Install larger cables and you will never have an issue.
    4. The TKO. Great transmission, but you have a 50% chance that it will leak. If I had to do it over again I would reseal the case before installation. Guess which 50% I fell into.
    5. Trunk mod. There is room between the trunk floor and the fuel tank that you can make use of. It is well worth it. Easy to make it up yourself, or there is even a kit out there. I didn't bother until I discovered that my helmet didn't fit in the trunk.
    6. The IRS is a new design and supposed to be very good. None of us around your area have that version. We have either the 3-link or the old IRS. I am sure we could get you a ride in each if that would help.

Which engine exactly? A Boss block can do 302, 347, or 363. Now is the time to do the stroker if there is any possibility of wanting a little more.
    I am a maybe on an engine hoist. I also have a Hobby-Air system if you decide to do your own paint. Modern paint is evil stuff that you don't want to breath.

Other stuff to think about. We are here to wreck your budget.
    Glove box
    Heater - I use it a lot. Especially when heading out early to an event.
    heated seats - I use these too.
    Russ Thompson gas pedal.

Wow thanks! A lot of good suggestions. I would like to get together with FFR guys. Right now im in a RV at Clay County Fair Grounds in Green Cove springs. PM me with phone number please.
    The car will be street driven leisure drives.
    1. I will order Power Steering
    2.I think I'll stick with Mustang brakes for now.
    3. Your right about the battery.
    4.Re-seal the tranny? I will have to after doing mid-shift location, I guess.
    5. I'll think about the trunk mod...sounds like a great idea.
    6.The IRS: yeah a bit complicated, but I have been reading a lot about it, and after adding up the cost, seems to be a wash. Alignment worries me 'tho.

Engine: Pushrod 302 with a carb. I want a lot of lope (probably stupid, but fun) I hate computers. Maybe go the stroker. I need to do more trade studies.

Paint: also have been reading. A lot of work to do myself, but looks like guys have been spending $10K to $15K for pro job. Lot of time to think that one.

Maybe "competition" dash like edwardb; I'm not so good at metalwork. We'll see.

I really appreciate all the help. It's good to know you guys are out there.
    Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple of comments for the comments:

- You'll get the opposite advice from me regarding the battery. The Breeze front mount battery setup is clean and easy to do. The cable routing is simple and short. I haven't taken any measurements, but it's down low in front of the engine (e.g. long way from the headers...) and while it's probably warmer than ambient up there, I don't think it's terribly hot. An Optima group 51 battery (what a lot of us use) is 26 lbs. Not that big a deal IMO. The bigger points are maybe 1) Don't put it in the stock trunk location. You have very limited and valuable truck space as it is, and 2) If you do IRS there isn't an under trunk rear battery setup now that fits. You have to get more creative. The pluses for the front outweigh the negatives. But that's just my opinion, and you get what you paid for.

- By all means, look at the expanded trunk mod. It's free space and really easy to add. Would be possible after the build, but much more difficult.

- I've had both solid axle and the new IRS. I'm amazed at the difference. The ride is remarkably better. Everyone who rides in the car comments about it. Other than tipping in the diff, the assembly isn't hard. I don't think it's any more difficult than solid axle. Alignment isn't a big deal either. The new version has adjustable links and it's quick and easy to do. Only camber and toe. Don't let the alignment sway your decision. There's setup in a solid axle too, although it's different.

- Your estimates for paint are on the high side. It's possible to do it for less than what you list and still have a very nice job.

- I'm a huge supporter of power steering in these cars. Really improves the driving experience. I've had both and won't be without power again.

Good luck!
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-26-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    You can borrow my engine hoist when the time comes. I am in Fleming Island.

Dennis