Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Information Overload :I Cancelled my FFR Roadster Order!

Post Thanks / Like

Information Overload :I Cancelled my FFR Roadster Order!

Ok, I've been researching, reading, drooling, and otherwise absorbing all the information I can get my hands on to learn about the FFR Roadster. And I have to tell you, I'm extremely impressed with the forum and all the extremely valuable information... I'm very close to purchasing and am trying to narrow down the engine options. I really like the Blueprint options. I'm hoping to drive this car weekends and cruises... not planning to "race" it. Pull it behind a motor home and take it out to cruise new locations. My question, at least this time is about an engine I found on FB marketplace. Can someone please tell me if this would work. I have not seen anything about engines with the supercharger on them... The guy states it has about 3000 miles since it was rebuilt. Thanks for your help. I'm sure there are a thousand other questions just waiting to be asked... https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...4700237349970/
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the madness! We have all been where you are. We are all very good at helping you spend your money!! I can't say for sure if that would fit, but what a rat's nest!! According to FFR's website, the engine from a 2004 Mustang GT should fit. The supercharger may be the issue. Not sure about the six speed manual transmission. I don't remember hearing about that one, but I am not an expert on donor builds. That price doesn't look very appealing to me unless you could use both the engine and the tranny. Blueprint has some really good deals on new engines, and they come with a warranty! Tranny would be extra of course, but you would get a zero miles setup that you knew did not have issues.

One last suggestion: Don't hesitate! This project has been extremely personally fulfilling. You will have a ball doing it!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Without knowing your experience level, my first response is that's a relatively complex setup that's not new. Plus not a small amount. Might be a good deal for someone with a Mustang of that vintage that needs a change-out. Wouldn't be my first choice for one of these builds though. You can do a lot better IMO. And that's not raining on anyone's parade on here that has one like that. They're a fine engine. But there are other choices. Also I have to admit my response is tempered by a "too good to pass up" eBay deal I made on the engine in my first Roadster build. That one cost me a bunch.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-26-2018 at 08:27 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone... I'm really starting to lean heavily towards the Blueprint 347 and trans... I've been around racing and race cars for the better part of 40 years... Building this will be a very fun challenge that I'm 100% positive I can do.. and with all the AWESOME information here, how can you go wrong... (ok, I know of many ways!) any way thanks for getting back to me... you actually told me what I was already thinking and feeling in my heart... I just wonder where everyone gets the time to take all the photos and post all the build threads and still get the build completed..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carle67 View Post
    I've been around racing and race cars for the better part of 40 years...
    Then you will probably want to track it.
    Not to complicate your build plans, but they are a blast on the track, especially if you set it up that way from the beginning.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone know of anyone within 100 miles +/- the Charleston, SC area with a MkIV build either complete or still building? Or even in the eastern TN/western NC area for that matter.. I go there quite often. Would love to see one in person if at all possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carle67 View Post
    Thanks everyone... I'm really starting to lean heavily towards the Blueprint 347 and trans... I've been around racing and race cars for the better part of 40 years... Building this will be a very fun challenge that I'm 100% positive I can do.. and with all the AWESOME information here, how can you go wrong... (ok, I know of many ways!) any way thanks for getting back to me... you actually told me what I was already thinking and feeling in my heart... I just wonder where everyone gets the time to take all the photos and post all the build threads and still get the build completed..
    I went this route because I knew I didn't want to build my own and with Blueprint, it is about as plug and play as they come for these cars. The engine and trans come fully assembled and ready to install. As already mentioned, they also come with a pretty amazing warranty.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

8. Likes BadAsp427 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have this exact engine, but I do have a 2004 DOHC 32V 4.6L. Yes, it'll fit, maybe not with the supercharger though. I would NOT recommend going this route. A wiring nightmare, trust me. Go with the others advice, any small block, or even the Coyote. The options are endless with a smallblock and prices are decent, and like Papa mentioned, a good warranty to boot in some cases. Do NOT paint yourself into a corner like I did with a less than desirable engine that has less than 1% of market support. Mustang, yes. FFR MKIV, NO.
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like

Cool It's happening, and it can't happen fast enough...

So I'll post it here for now and start a build thread in the future. I have ordered my Mk4 Complete kit and a 347 Carb motor/trans from Blueprint. Both have an estimated ship date of Sep 15, 2018. Until then, it's all about getting the garage/shop ready. I'll be putting in a new Epoxy two tone floor to match the vision I have for my new toy as well as lighting and general organization for all the parts and pieces as they come in. I actually hung the new LED shop lights tonight. Here are before and after photos. (and this allows me to learn how to do photos for the future.
    Garage Lights Before.JPGGarage Lights After.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice lights! Having those will help a bunch when you drop that but for the 1000th time. . Good choice on the 347, that will be real nice in a roadster.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like

It's Like I'm Going to Be a New Father, Getting the Nursery Ready!!!

So I have a pretty good sized garage to work in, the problem is that it's been more of a storage area. I bet you have never heard that before? But, I could not imagine building a beautiful Factory Five MK4 in my garage in it's current condition... So, the first thing I did was get some fantastic "Daylight" LED shop lights. (see Summit Racing) but I actually purchased them from the manufacturer for only $33 ea vs $50. Before and after photos below of the lights. Then the next thing, give myself a great clean floor, not the bare concrete floor that I currently have. This has been accomplished by first grinding the floor, coating it with an epoxy sealer/primer, then by adding 2 full coats of Gray, Sprinkles and the Red line.... FYI, I'm planning to have a Red MK4 with either Gray / Silver stripes so this will be a complimentary home for my new baby!!!! Tomorrow I will pull up the Blue Tape and put the final Clear Polyurethane coating... Here are some photos...

Garage Lighting Before
    Garage Lights Before.JPG

Garage Lighting After
    Garage Lights After.jpg

Concrete Grinding Completed
    Grind Complete.JPG

Epoxy Sealer / Primer Down
    Sealer-Primer.jpg

First Gray Coat Epoxy Down
    Completed 1st Gray Coat.jpg

Layout for Red MK4 Reserved Parking Area
    I'll will actually not paint a 2nd coat of gray
    where the Red will be so there will be little edge
    between the two colors under the final clear coat.
    I put down the Sprinkles as I put down the
    2nd coat of Gray epoxy.
    Preparing to paint 2nd gray coat.JPG

The Sprinkles
    The Sprinkles.jpg

Now to make it POP - The Red Paint....
    Red Line Complete.jpg

I kind of liked the Blue boarder, but that is just the tape
    and I'm not going to paint another color... the tape is gone...
    The floor is finished except for the final clear coat.
    Final before Clear Coat.jpg
    Blue Tape Removed - 2.jpg

The plan will be to complete the remaining two thirds of the floor at a later date.
    But until then, my new baby will have a nice crib to grow in.

Now it's just time to get the rest of the nursery organized and ready for the new baby
    to come home from the hospital... errrrrr. from Factory 5....

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks Great!
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    The new floor looks good!
    I'd highly suggest you get the other parts done sooner rather than later based on my own experience. Once you get the car in there, it'll feel like a lot less space, there will be parts everywhere, and the additional grinding will put a new layer of dust over your new parts and engine. Not having the extra work in the back of your mind will also be a great feeling.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    03-04 Cobra engines are a great factory engine. All forged internals, alum head, fuel injected, super charged, 4 valve, 4 cams, intercooled, low compression. Can easily make 600-700hp with just a super charger change. But if you don't modify it correctly and have it tuned correctly, bam it melts down. Why is the engine you are looking at rebuilt? My thought is if you want old school engine go with a crate small block push rod engine, if you want new style go with a crate coyote.
    MK4 Roadster # 8548, Ford Performance X427, TKO 600, 8.8 3 Link, Paint by Jeff Miller, Suspension setup by Frank Maslowski I.E.427

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the insight Kobra, that is the same question I asked the guy when I was first looking at that motor.... FYI, I've purchased a 347 from Blueprint... should be here in about 30 days... same time as the kit is expected...

Post Thanks / Like
    The floor looks great, do as q4stix suggested and finish the rest before ALL the boxes and car arrive.
    I epoxied the floors (3 bays), painted the walls, and added lots of LED lighting this last Jan. My '33 arrived the end of Feb, so glad I finished everything before the car arrived.
    The floor is so much easier to sweep up now than before.

Post Thanks / Like

The Nursery is Nearly Complete, The New Baby Will Be Coming Home Soon!!!

Ok, so I have taken your advice and have completed the entire floor (actually have one more coat of clear on the last section to do today), the Nursery (garage) is a complete mess at the moment but the floor looks great. So now I just have to find a place to hang this sign, proud to have a Factory Five Roadster:
    IMG_1150.jpeg

I also have a large 42" poster that will be a part of my inspiration that I will hang in the garage soon. This is what I hope my new baby will grow up to be, the color and strip that I'm hoping to go with on my build. It's getting very real, plan to pick up my new baby (kit) this weekend... There is an exciting twist that I will announce later... stay tuned.
    CobraPoster.JPG
    Last edited by BadAsp427; 09-12-2018 at 07:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    So I'll post it here for now and start a build thread in the future. I have ordered my Mk4 Complete kit and a 347 Carb motor/trans from Blueprint. Both have an estimated ship date of Sep 15, 2018. Until then, it's all about getting the garage/shop ready. I'll be putting in a new Epoxy two tone floor to match the vision I have for my new toy as well as lighting and general organization for all the parts and pieces as they come in. I actually hung the new LED shop lights tonight. Here are before and after photos. (and this allows me to learn how to do photos for the future.
    Garage Lights Before.JPGGarage Lights After.jpg
    I had an epoxy floor installed as well. Just one thing to be aware of. If you cut or grind any metal over the floor the tiny pieces of metal that fall on the floor will rapidly turn to rust stains. Either put down a tarp or vacuum immediately. Kind of a pain in retrospect.
    Last edited by miller7448; 08-14-2018 at 08:53 AM.
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the Heads Up!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm jealous. I had wanted to do the floor and really get things cleaned up but ended up helping out my family and never got a lot of work done in my garage before my kit showed up. Now, my garage is a half finished mess with a beautiful kit car and tons of parts in it. You will be glad you got this all taken car of before your kit arrives. It is looking great in my opinion and I hope you enjoy your build and car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Clover.... I'm glad that others on this forum persuaded me to complete it. I just today put the final clear coat on the final 3rd of the garage and the small entrance way to my garage. I also just installed a 18,500 BTU AC/16,000 BTU Heat unit and got all the 230v wiring in place, weather should never be an excuse for me. I'm getting my kit this weekend, the garage is not ready so the baby will have to stay in the trailer for a very short time until I can get everything relocated to the final planed layout.
    garage layout.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Surprise!!! I sent an email to cancel my FFR roadster order!

So over the past month, I've been getting to know FFR and many of the members of this forum through hours upon hours of reading. I'v shared the beginning of my journey to build a Roadster. The preparation of the garage, a couple of my plans for Power Steering, Engine/Trans from Blueprint, etc. I even ordered my kit from FFR to include everything I could upgrade with the 50% off sale. And today, I sent an email to my rep at FFR to cancel my order and request my deposit back (minus the fee) WHAT? you may say... WHY? you may say... that is because, I found what I believe will be even a better build.... Let me introduce you to FFR Roadster #8690. I picked him up today and after a 11+ hour round trip. I'm happy to report that he is now at his new home in South Carolina. FFR #8690 is a 20th Anniversary kit (#8 of 20) that was originally ordered exactly 3 years ago this week and never started. Everything is just as it was when Stewart transport delivered it to it's first owner. Now, he is going to grow; grow into the Hissing, Slithering, Powerful Snake that it was originally destined to be. I'm looking forward to starting my official build thread in the next few day. I've learned so much from just about all of you on here and look forward to learning even more and sharing my build for those that follow. I'm also lucky enough that #8690 was actually the 2nd build the previous owner was going to complete so I even scored a Body Buck and many other odds and ends and cool parts from his first build.

Here is #8690, Still a little shy, But I was able to catch a quick selfie photo of him as he slithered into his current hiding spot in the trailer with the rest of his parts, not dressed for public appearance just yet... Let's Do This Thing!!!

IMG_1174.JPG IMG_1182.JPG IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1186.JPG
    And if anyone can explain how to rotate these photos, I would be grateful. I tried several different things with no luck!

25. Likes carlewms liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good score, well done!
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you! No waiting times for shipping is defintiely a plus! Have fun!!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BadAsp427 View Post
    So over the past month, I've been getting to know FFR and many of the members of this forum through hours upon hours of reading. I'v shared the beginning of my journey to build a Roadster. The preparation of the garage, a couple of my plans for Power Steering, Engine/Trans from Blueprint, etc. I even ordered my kit from FFR to include everything I could upgrade with the 50% off sale. And today, I sent an email to my rep at FFR to cancel my order and request my deposit back (minus the fee) WHAT? you may say... WHY? you may say... that is because, I found what I believe will be even a better build.... Let me introduce you to FFR Roadster #8690. I picked him up today and after a 11+ hour round trip. I'm happy to report that he is now at his new home in South Carolina. FFR #8690 is a 20th Anniversary kit (#8 of 20) that was originally ordered exactly 3 years ago this week and never started. Everything is just as it was when Stewart transport delivered it to it's first owner. Now, he is going to grow; grow into the Hissing, Slithering, Powerful Snake that it was originally destined to be. I'm looking forward to starting my official build thread in the next few day. I've learned so much from just about all of you on here and look forward to learning even more and sharing my build for those that follow. I'm also lucky enough that #8690 was actually the 2nd build the previous owner was going to complete so I even scored a Body Buck and many other odds and ends and cool parts from his first build.

Here is #8690, Still a little shy, But I was able to catch a quick selfie photo of him as he slithered into his current hiding spot in the trailer with the rest of his parts, not dressed for public appearance just yet... Let's Do This Thing!!!

IMG_1174.JPG IMG_1182.JPG IMG_1185.JPG IMG_1186.JPG
    And if anyone can explain how to rotate these photos, I would be grateful. I tried several different things with no luck!

I know we haven't met, but I am SO THRILLED for you!!

That is EXACTLY how I obtained my build, and it is a Fantastic Scenario! Mine was an unStarted build and Nothing was done by the owner except the inventory. Everything was still in the box as a new kit and the tag was still on the body. Our situations are similar even down the fact that it was the seller's second build so I too gained the body buck and odds and ends. My Photos are very similar to the ones you posted. This is so great for you!

I am in the Savannah, so I'll be happy to come up when you need help, or you can come on by anytime.

Congratulations!
    Dave

IMG_0929 by D. R., on Flickr

IMG_0898 by D. R., on Flickr

IMG_0963 by D. R., on Flickr
    Last edited by DadofThree; 08-19-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    Dave
    Mk 3.1 - #6882 - 5.0L 302 - FiTech EFI - 3-Link - 3.08 Ratio - 15" Wheels
    Greenhorn and doing the best I can
    My photos are at: My Flickr acct
    Videos are at: YouTube Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Picture editing on a computer (PC) - use irfanview, a very capable free image editing program!

Double check posts about the certificate of orgin when it comes time to title the car, you dont want to have to try to find the original purchaser for paper work Later on?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Just Puttering, Thanks for the info. We actually created a very specific "bill of sale" with all the appropriate numbers, notary, etc in hopes of heading off any problems with that. The Bill of Sale even includes a clause that the original owner will assist with that process should the need arise. Fingers crossed, we have it covered.

DadofThree: Dave, very cool, I would love to have your assistance as well you may have mine if needed. the previous owner and I just completed the first inventory, 90% of the boxes had never been opened, had received all of the POL items and my inventory revealed only three items missing and the previous owner is calling FF today to get those items. Hopefully FF will not have any problems with sending them out. Kinda big ones... and all but one are 20th Anv related. Chrome Roll Bar and the pre assembled louvers, oh, and the go peddle assembly...

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice! Now get building!
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations On Joining The Family & Saving #8,690 From Never Coming To Life!

Many Folks Buy One On A Whim & Keep These Unfinished Cars From Becoming What They Were Intended To Be!

From This Point Going Forward All You Need Is Intestinal Fortitude & The Perseverance To Get-R-Done!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-20-2018 at 07:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great score! When I saw the revised title I got a little sad thinking you decided not to build one or delayed because of unforeseen reasons.
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear the cancellation is because of good news!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well i better stop in to say congratulations, and thanks for supporting BluePrint Engines. Be sure to contact me with any questions! happy to help!

[email protected]
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263

Post Thanks / Like

Blueprint Engines

Quote Originally Posted by BluePrintEngines View Post
    Well i better stop in to say congratulations, and thanks for supporting BluePrint Engines. Be sure to contact me with any questions! happy to help!

[email protected]
    Hey everyone, if you are trying to decide the right motor for your roadster, give Johnny a call. He has been an amazing help to me. And I'm not always easy to work with, as he found out... LOL.... Seriously, thank you Johnny for all your patience and help. Learn More Here:
    BluePrint-347.jpg

Mk4 20th Anniversary #8690 (#8 of 20) Purchased 8/18/18----Build Started 8/19/18
    Build Thread Click Here / Registry Entry Click Here / BluePrint Engines 347ci / TKO600
    Carb/Heater/Heated Seats/Cruise Control/Drop Trunk & Battery/Custom Cubby

Post Thanks / Like
    Always happy to help and answer questions!
    Check out our crate engine offerings at www.factoryfiveengines.com
    Give us a call at 1.800.483.4263