Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Gen 1 Coyote Starter Wiring

Post Thanks / Like

Gen 1 Coyote Starter Wiring

I have a 11-14 Coyote with starter included. I have a hot from the battery to the outside large terminal on the starter. I have 3 red wires in one harness and from reading, it seems they go on the same terminal as the battery feed.
    I have a light blue wire that can go to the small terminal or I have a tan w green tracer labeled starter solenoid run with a black wire labeled ground that I can use.

Using the FFR wiring schematic, Rev N, it shows the light blue going to the small terminal and a black unlabled on the inside large terminal.

If the blue is the right solenoid activation wire, where does the tan w green tracer go?
    Do I need to attach the black running with tan w green tracer to a ground or the larger terminal on the starter.

Do I need to run a ground from the inside large lug on starter to the grounded engine, grounded frame, or battery ground.

For information, I have the positive battery run through a disconnect switch then to the outside larger starter terminal.
    I have the battery ground run to the bell housing bolt and then to the frame.

Thanks,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are two ways to wire the starter. The way that I think is better is to allow the PCM to control the start function. For this one, attach the tan/green wire to the starting post (small terminal) on the starter solenoid. Cut the blue wire flush with its exit from the harness and tape it, it's not used. The black wire goes to ground either on the chassis or engine. There is a red/light-blue blunt lead from the controls harness labeled "Starter Motor Request" that is attached to the start terminal of the ignition switch

The other way is for the ignition switch to control the starter via a wire from it to the starter. For this method attach the blue wire to the start post on the solenoid and cut off the tan/green wire and tape its exit from the harness. The black wire goes to ground either on the chassis or engine. Attach the Ron Francis start wire (possibly the other end of the blue wire) to the start terminal of the ignition switch.

My instructions don't mention attaching any wires to the second large terminal on the starter solenoid.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Ditto the king. I wired Roadster #7854 with a 2012 Gen 1 Coyote the same way. First turn of the key....VROOM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the clear instructions. I like your method and will copy it. I will leave the starter inside large lug void of wires. I will need to find the red/lt blue wire and get it on the switch. Moving On !
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the 3 red wires in the RF harness to a breaker mounted on the passenger footbox. I also ran the tan w green down to the small solenoid lug on the starter and the black to the starter bolt. Here are some pics. I ran a 10 gauge wire down to the battery lug on the starter. I am rethinking this and may go to a 8 or 6 gauge. The 3 red feed wires are one 10 gauge and two 12 gauge wires. I doubt all 3 would be under max load at once. Any advise on this wire size.
    Here are a few pics. 20180802_132743.jpg

Post Thanks / Like