Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: TKO speed sender

Post Thanks / Like

TKO speed sender

I have a tko 500 and the Ron Francis harness and I am trying to figure out how to hook up the speedometer wiring. I assume I need to hook into the electric tko sender and not the mechanical because I have the electric gauges, but the plug in the harness doesn't fit the plug on the transmission. Am I supposed to get a new plug for the tko and put it in place of the other one?
    Ryan
    33 Hot Rod
    350 SBC with TKO 500, 3 link rear

2. Likes Derald Rice liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Read through this thread. You need the pigtail and also a plug. Fortesparts.com sells both. While you are at it you may also look into getting transmission spacers for the rear if needed.

You need to call Mike. I have no idea how to find specific parts on his website but he does have what you need.

https://www.ffcars.com/forums/17-fac...html#post87982
    Last edited by CDXXVII; 07-27-2018 at 12:19 AM.
    F5R #7841: Anniversary Edition MK4, Ford Racing 427, Edelbrock EFI, Gas-N Pipes, Stainless Headers, TKO600, 3.31 Moser 3-Link, 17" Halibrands

Post Thanks / Like
    Either sensor can be used for your electric gauges. Both output the needed signal for your speedo. The external sensor on the right side has the added option for an actual physical rotating cable (like the good old days) which obviously you don't need. There are two external sensor versions. One with the rotating cable connection, the other with it closed off. Keep it simple and just put the blocking plate on that side (not the shipping plug the transmission comes with) and use the internal sensor on the left side. I'm surprised your RF harness doesn't plug into the internal sensor connector. My last two Roadster builds plugged in without any changes. But as already stated, a pigtail with the proper connection is available and easily added to your harness.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-27-2018 at 07:09 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    We ran into a similar issue based on the way it sounds with our TKO600, take a peak at my build page post #111 & 113: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...3-Hot-Rod-1028
    As well I posted a query on the FF 33 Hot Rod Builders FB page, look around the April 28th, May 3rd posts for Andreas Tanzer. I will be trying to attach a quick video my son made post corrections, hope this may help as the solution turned out to be quite simple. , this is how to connect your harness into the speed controller which has an effect as well.