FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What features should I look for a Cobra Trailer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What features should I look for a Cobra Trailer?

My roadster has been built and licensed for 5+ years and I enjoy the heck out of DRIVING it. I have about 26k miles on it and it's been cruised in MO, IL, KS, AR, OH, IN, TN, TX, and SD. I've driven it to the London Cobra Show twice, AR twice, and TN (Tail of the Dragon!).
    Last year I trailered it to Texas (U-Haul rental trailer) and South Dakota (borrowed a trailer and rented a Super Duty).
    This year I decided to upgrade my Daily Driver to an SUV capable of pulling 5K lbs and purchase a trailer.

Looking for desirable features for my new trailer and asking for input from Trailer Owners for what to get and avoid.
    I’ve decided I want a Serpent Express style of trailer:
    • 14 + 2 Steel Trailer w/treated wood deck and 5’ ramps
    • 2 axles w/electronic brakes (I’m adding an Electronic Brake Control to my SUV (Tekonsha 90195 P3)
    • Steel wheels / Radial tires
    • Spare tire

I’ll be adding:
    • e-track
    • tie downs
    • LED lights

Any other suggestions?
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mag deep dish wheels, racing strips on the cover, hand painted mural of your car on the sides, chrome plated jacks, electric of course. Ditch the steel, go all out for the aluminum. Let me think on it some more my friend.

Oh OH a leather padded cover for the spare. Let me call Tim an Ian, we'll fix you up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Aluminum (incl. deck) and make sure the ramps come out the back (no need to lift and move them from the sides). The weight savings is a LOT!
    I'm just a victim of a thousand physic wars!
    www.weendoggy.com/cobra.htm

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Check out this company:
    http://www.lightningtrailers.com/index

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make it easy on yourself, buy one of these.....http://www.serpentexpress.com/home.html

Their trailer and our FFR weighed 4000-lbs. Towed behind our '09 Tacoma/TRD just fine.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Add a winch - I put one in my Serpent Express and have used it quite a few times... just easier to hook it up and pull it in rather than driving it up.

Also, consider a set of composite Race Ramps to ease the angle for loading to avoid catching the side pipes or other low parts on the break-over point.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Rich, you're just trying to get even with me for talking you into your 331 w/EFI Stacks! haha

wait! Knock-off Halibrands! That would be cool! Racing stripes, hmmmm
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    "A Guy That Would Paint His Truck Like This Would Go To A Minister's Funeral Dressed In Feathers"

It was good enough for Burt.

Just a suggestion, lol...

vlcsnap-67751.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Best trailer I have ever seen for this purpose is a Kwikload Trailer. Then get a Serpent express retrofit kit to go with it. Now that Larry has custom designed mine, I am sure he can make one for you. The trailer loads easily, pulls great. On my 800 mile round trip to Huntington Beach in April I averaged 15mpg in my F150. I love this trailer!!

Already has an all steel deck, dual axels, brakes, LED lights in the deck, chrome wheels, twin lockable storage boxes built right into the deck, and four very heavy duty tie down points. No need for ramps, the deck is the ramp! You don’t hit your doors on the wheel fenders because when you are loading, the doors are rearward of the trailer wheels. This trailer is so good that a friend of mine sold his trailer just buy one of these!!
    Last edited by Jazzman; 07-28-2018 at 12:57 AM.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    If it's an enclosed trailer, get one with a side door, on the left, so you can get in & out easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Gumball about adding a winch.

Olli

Post Thanks / Like
    plain color, white perhaps for heat reflection. No funny murels as you might attract unwanted quests while in a hotel room late at night. Keep it simple, no identifying specifics to what may be contained within

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If its an open trailer.... I recently sold a Hot Rod and the buyer picked it up in a U Haul rental ( CA ).... Loaded and gone in less than 10 min. One nice feature was the fold down fender on driver side ( both? ) Car door opened easy peasy to get in and out.