FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Al's Coyote: First Start

Post Thanks / Like

Al's Coyote: First Start

The idea was to get to have a first start on June 30. That was the second “birthday” of the Coyote. It was delivered to my garage on 6/30/16. (June 30 also happens to be MY birthday…) I had a few folks over, but the celebration was rather subdued by the fact that nothing happened. We had two relatively fundamental issues: no power and numerous fuel leaks. Minor details!

It took a week to fix the electrical problem. It took longer to fix the fuel leaks. Let’s count them: first, the quick connect plug on the fuel pump connection let go, spewing gas all over the driveway. Secured that one. Then, moving up the line, the flexible line out of the in-line filter leaked at the connection to the hard line. Hmmm – not tight enough. Fixed. Next – hard line union. Somebody didn’t do a very good job of tightening that, either. Hard line to braided line in the engine bay. Same issue. Do you see a trend here?

The larger issue was the fuel pressure regulator. As it turned out, I needed to get all new Aeromotive fittings. The fittings that came with the fuel pressure regulator (in the box from Ford), were not Aeromotive parts. The Aeromotive tech pointed that out after he saw a photo of my parts. In this case, it apparently does make a difference! It took a while to isolate the problem areas, but some paper towel and twist ties helped in that department. Once I got all three fuel pressure regulator connections re-done, the leaks were solved. Except for the line coming out of the in-line filter. That reared its ugly head yet again. A bigger wrench prevailed. And… IT’S ALIVE!

I hope you enjoy this short little video as much as I did making it! Here's the video link:

Now that I have this behind me, I can get things buttoned up a little better and then we can do a more extensive “live” test.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! See, that wasn't so hard. Big milestone for your build. Sounds healthy.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Exciting time in the build for sure. My “first” start had a few rehearsals too.
    Thanks for the video.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Al. Lookin good. Sounds great!
    Mk4 Roadster #8855, 351W, TKO 600, EFI, IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, a big milestone and proof all the connections are correct. I restarted mine almost daily for a week just because.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I always watch these videos at least twice. Once for the car and once for the grin on the builders face. Sounds great! Well done.
    MkIV complete kit #9259, Coyote, TKO600, IRS, Wilwoods x 4, many parts from Breeze, Forte, Russ's Garage and North Racecars
    17" Bullit style wheels, custom Kirkey seats, mid shift conversion, drop trunk, KRC power steering, Forte Hyd. clutch and slave, manual brakes
    overall build plan: build it to drive, not polish and black it out wherever possible, paint will be some shade of dark cherry

Post Thanks / Like
    Big, BIG congrats Al

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Love those videos!
    Congrats AL. Great to see it alive. Also nice to see you in the video. Funny how much we communicate with some people own the forum without ever really seeing them. Always nice to put a face with the internet persona. haha
    Looking forward to some go cart videos!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great! Congratulations - what a gratifying sound!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations Al! The look on your face makes everyone thats been there feel it with ya...
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your comments and encouragement! I still have a long way to go...

Aside from the fuel leaks, I found that the power steering pump is a bit out of alignment. Even after just a few starts (less than a minute each), the belt was working itself off. I think the pump pulley needs to go forward a little (1/32nd will get the shaft flush with the pulley face). I also decided to re-work the entire fuel plumbing. I spent a lot of time (and aggravation) installing 5/16 and 1/4 hard lines. I'm going to replace it all with 3/8 braided line on feed and return sides. The idea is to have one connection at each end rather than the current multiple connections.

I need to re-think a lot of the dash wiring as well. I don't want any poor connections popping up later down the road, so I may re-do a lot of the spade connections I already did.

In any event, knowing that it's alive takes a lot of self-induced stress away! King's comment is a classic: "I restarted mine almost daily for a week just because". It hasn't run since Sunday. (It's now Tuesday.) I think it's time for it to run again this evening.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds great! Good job working through all the issues.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035