Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Canadian import tariff and other fees... OMG!

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Canadian import tariff and other fees... OMG!

Just a quick observation on what's going on North of the border. I've ordered parts from various US vendors over the last couple of months because it's stuff simply not available in Canada. With all the political BS going on our Liberal gov't decided that counter-tariffs would be a great way to raise revenue and the various transport companies are gouging more margin on their own too.

I got a $190 USD aluminum radiator which came in from California with normal exchange and shipping with taxes comes in @$320 CDN. 3 days later FedEx sends me a bill for $230 CDN for a list of fees I've never heard of or agreed to. I've asked for clarification. I know we are now paying 28% tariff now on top of everything else until this but, this looks like opportunistic gouging from the courier company.

I was going to order a $8.55 dipstick tube assembly for a front sump oil pan from Summit. $16.54 is extra for taxes and import fees! plus shipping !

Hope this trade war gets settled soon.

cheers!

Post Thanks / Like
    FedEx charges a customs brokerage fee. I believe all the shipping companies do but check before ordering. US parcel post with Canada post completing the delivery does not charge a brokerage fee. Still have to pay customs and applicable taxes but that is a very small portion of the fees you paid FedEx.
    I have heard of a method to avoid the brokerage fee but, that involves refusing to accept the delivery and taking the paperwork to customs yourself. Google FedEx brokerage fee for all the details.

HTH

Norm

Post Thanks / Like
    A sample paint from a UK company was about 13 euros, but DHL wanted $292 for delivery. Go figure.

Edit: No I did not buy it :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CNIdog View Post
    Just a quick observation on what's going on North of the border. I've ordered parts from various US vendors over the last couple of months because it's stuff simply not available in Canada. With all the political BS going on our Liberal gov't decided that counter-tariffs would be a great way to raise revenue and the various transport companies are gouging more margin on their own too.

I got a $190 USD aluminum radiator which came in from California with normal exchange and shipping with taxes comes in @$320 CDN. 3 days later FedEx sends me a bill for $230 CDN for a list of fees I've never heard of or agreed to. I've asked for clarification. I know we are now paying 28% tariff now on top of everything else until this but, this looks like opportunistic gouging from the courier company.

I was going to order a $8.55 dipstick tube assembly for a front sump oil pan from Summit. $16.54 is extra for taxes and import fees! plus shipping !

Hope this trade war gets settled soon.

cheers!
    Where are you located?! I'm fortunate I live just outside of Windsor, On and have a shipping address in Detroit. I order everything there, then pick it up, declare it on the way back home. If its large like $250-300 I might have to pay the Ontario tax on it but that's it. I know there are other cities along the borders that do the same thing. Worth looking into if your anywhere close to one.
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit ordered, promised date 04/13/24
    MK4 #10616 picked up 4/10/23!!!
    302w, 4 link, 17's, dual roll bar SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars SOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HiggyMK4#???? View Post
    Where are you located?! I'm fortunate I live just outside of Windsor, On and have a shipping address in Detroit. I order everything there, then pick it up, declare it on the way back home. If its large like $250-300 I might have to pay the Ontario tax on it but that's it. I know there are other cities along the borders that do the same thing. Worth looking into if your anywhere close to one.
    Higgy
    You’re lucky. The threshold for taxes for me in Niagara Falls is about $100.