Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: MKIV footbox mod question

Post Thanks / Like

MKIV footbox mod question

I have a newer MKIV Roadster (delivered March 2018). I am working on the footboxes at the moment. Are there any must do mods to the footbox (either one). In reading on here I seem to find mixed opinions. I know FFR updated the design to give more room but should I do even more?

This is a coyote car btw.

Post Thanks / Like
    How tall are you?
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably you see mixed opinions because (1) There's some variation in which vintage Mk4. There have been several running changes since they were introduced. (2) Variation in what engine is used, which makes a difference. (3) Variation in height and shoe size of builders. With a Coyote and the latest sheet metal, you don't have many options on the driver's side. There are some relatively simple mods that allow some bumping out to the right and above the accelerator pedal. But the difference isn't a lot and makes the already tight header access on that side even tighter. Go for it if you need to I guess. But I wouldn't if you don't. There's a little to be gained forward and on the inside of the passenger footbox. But again, will cut into tight header space. Although that side isn't nearly as tight as the driver's. Modifying and changing out sheet metal isn't hard. I've done it on a couple builds. But I would do it only if you need to and have the necessary skills and tools. Also be aware, FWIW, that the standard carpet kit will not fit in the areas you change.

The post asking for your height is very much a part of this discussion. Also you have other options for height other than the footboxes, e.g. seats, pedals, etc.
    Last edited by edwardb; 07-30-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    With the running changes FFR has made to the driver's side it's just about as good as it gets unless you're fighting for that last millimeter. Passenger side depends; 4 into 4 headers or shorties and J pipes? I have both in the shop presently and just shot these looking down at the PS inside front corner.

SHORTIES:

4 INTO 4

That's about 1 finger between the header and footbox corner with the 4 into 4s. Not much ground to gain there in my opinion, at least for the effort it would require. There is room to go forward with the shorties but doing so would kind of paint you into a box if you ever had thoughts of upgrading to the full length headers.

Remember Michael, right out of the box the Mk4 passenger side is significantly larger than what you've experienced from the right hand seats in Sten, Dan and Craig's earlier cars.

Cheers,
    Jeff

CoyotePSwithshorties.jpgCoyotePSwith4into4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    How tall are you?
    I am 5' 10"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Probably you see mixed opinions because (1) There's some variation in which vintage Mk4. There have been several running changes since they were introduced. (2) Variation in what engine is used, which makes a difference. (3) Variation in height and shoe size of builders. With a Coyote and the latest sheet metal, you don't have many options on the driver's side. There are some relatively simple mods that allow some bumping out to the right and above the accelerator pedal. But the difference isn't a lot and makes the already tight header access on that side even tighter. Go for it if you need to I guess. But I wouldn't if you don't. There's a little to be gained forward and on the inside of the passenger footbox. But again, will cut into tight header space. Although that side isn't nearly as tight as the driver's. Modifying and changing out sheet metal isn't hard. I've done it on a couple builds. But I would do it only if you need to and have the necessary skills and tools. Also be aware, FWIW, that the standard carpet kit will not fit in the areas you change.

The post asking for your height is very much a part of this discussion. Also you have other options for height other than the footboxes, e.g. seats, pedals, etc.
    Thanks Paul, that is kinda what I gathered. Your experience/insight is always helpful.

5-10, shoe size 12, willwood pedals, and I have not figured out my seats yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    With the running changes FFR has made to the driver's side it's just about as good as it gets unless you're fighting for that last millimeter. Passenger side depends; 4 into 4 headers or shorties and J pipes? I have both in the shop presently and just shot these looking down at the PS inside front corner.

That's about 1 finger between the header and footbox corner with the 4 into 4s. Not much ground to gain there in my opinion, at least for the effort it would require. There is room to go forward with the shorties but doing so would kind of paint you into a box if you ever had thoughts of upgrading to the full length headers.

Remember Michael, right out of the box the Mk4 passenger side is significantly larger than what you've experienced from the right hand seats in Sten, Dan and Craig's earlier cars.

Cheers,
    Jeff

CoyotePSwithshorties.jpgCoyotePSwith4into4.jpg
    Thanks Jeff and for the pics. I have the FFR 4 into 4 headers.

I had come to the conclusion that it was not needed but then Jazzman told me this was his #1 regret... so I started to question the conclusion I came to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 6' and shoe size 12 and that's mine with the shorty headers in Jeff's pic above (also using the FFR seats). While it certainly isn't comfortable or roomy, I've had no problems with the footbox area. You might be able to squeeze a bit here or there, but it would need to be mocked up with the engine in place because there is so little room for error. And as others have said, I dont think it is worth the effort unless absolutely necessary.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hacksaw84 View Post
    I am 5' 10"
    You should be fine with the current foot box design. I modified mine but I'm 6'6" and willing to do a lot for what amounts to minimal gains.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    I'm 6' and shoe size 12 and that's mine with the shorty headers in Jeff's pic above (also using the FFR seats). While it certainly isn't comfortable or roomy, I've had no problems with the footbox area. You might be able to squeeze a bit here or there, but it would need to be mocked up with the engine in place because there is so little room for error. And as others have said, I dont think it is worth the effort unless absolutely necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Straversi View Post
    You should be fine with the current foot box design. I modified mine but I'm 6'6" and willing to do a lot for what amounts to minimal gains.
    -Steve
    Awesome thanks guys. Although I do enjoy the modifying, I am ready to install something just as is.

Post Thanks / Like
    I removed the 45 degree bend in the supplied DS sheetmetal. Found it uncomfortable against my leg just above the ankle, before the change

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post314120
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 07-30-2018 at 04:26 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

12. Likes BlueMud liked this post