Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ride heigh dilema

Post Thanks / Like

Ride heigh dilema

So working on building my 818r and I’m having a few debates about suspension. It seems F5 has a few design issues with the track height suspension mounting locations.......that being said, why shouldn’t I just go with street height?

I am also debating mounting the sway bar. I don’t plan on wheel to wheel with the car, but may get into some time trial stuff in the future.

School me!

Post Thanks / Like
    I can offer no schooling, as I'm a rank amateur with this stuff. But I can offer my own plan.

I have the new nose, which apparently offers a lot more clearance for the front wheels. So hopefully that's what you have, too.

I'm doing the build somewhat in reverse - mounting the body first. Once that's done I'll test both ride height settings with whatever wheels I end up deciding on to see what works best for suspension travel and interference. From my experience with the roadster I built years ago, I would put good steering geometry and an appropriate amount of suspension travel ahead of CG height, although I feel like roll center should probably be paid some attention, if for no other reason than to understand where it is and what effect it might have on handling.

I do plan on having adjustable sway bars, front and rear - they made an enormous difference on my roadster.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an 'R' and originally went with the track ride height. With the long nose on the car and front splitter, it was impossible to get the car on my trailer, even with long race ramps to extend my trailer ramps AND backing the rear wheels on my truck on ramps to try to reduce the trailer angle. The headache just wasn't worth the result so I switched to street ride height. I still have to use the race ramps and truck ramps but I can get it in the trailer now. Others with super low trailers may not have this problem. For me, that extra inch and a half of ground clearance made a huge difference.

Skip

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess it depends on the trailer, trailer ride height is an issue. Using RaceRamps it isn't much of an issue (2.75 ride height at the splitter) getting the car in either of our trailers.
    The little bit of Aero the cars have is more efficient at a lower ride height if that is a concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    With my 818R I ended up using the R mounting points in the front and the S mounting points in the rear. Using the S mounting points was the only way I was able to get the rear ride height high enough ~3.25 in.

I guess what I'm saying is each case is a bit different and you should use the mounting points that get you the ride height your going for.
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

Post Thanks / Like
    My R is at S height but I'm also running much larger tires than most. If I every go back to something skinny like a 245 I'll most likely drop it back down to R mode and just deal with the splitter smashing into everything
    Owner/builder - AEM Intakes 818R #85

Post Thanks / Like
    Raceramps are your friend.
    Thanks- Chad
    818R-SOLD!!!- Go Karted 7/20/14/ Officially raced NASA ST2- 2/28/15
    2016 Elan NP01 Prototype Racecar Chassis #20
    1969 Porsche 911ST Vintage Race Car
    1972 Porsche 911T (#'s matching undergoing nut & bolt resto in my garage)