Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 65 coupe dreamer

Post Thanks / Like

65 coupe dreamer

Hello all I am new here but recently saw a documentary about Caroll Shelby and when I saw the Daytona coupe again I realized that I could build one! I have been building cars for years mostly hot rods and never really considered a replica car before. So I have my fastback mustang up for sale to fund the project. My plan is to build the base coupe with a 351 Windsor with SC1 heads and a Richmond 4+1 transmission. I do have a couple of concerns about the set up but I’m sure the forum members here can steer me in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    My main concern is the oil pan size and shape. Is there enough room for a typical front sump pan or is a low profile wide pan a better choice. Then there is the Richmond transmission, has anyone used one in this format and does the transmission mount need modifications to work?

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless you're going to modify the frame there is a "X" cross member that sits under & in-font of the engine rear sump or dry sump is your only option.

See post here for my engine order specs, what oilman and pickup I used. My engine is a 351W based 427. https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post350827

Post Thanks / Like
    https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l=1#post349854

see above link for cross member/obstruction for front sump configuration

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for that reference that picture of the frame of the crossmember says it all. Yes rear sump absolutely necessary. The other thing I noticed from the pictures of the motor in the engine bay is the with of the aluminum panels somewhat close to the heads. Will I have clearance issues using the SC1 heads? Or is there more room than the picture shows?

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree there's an X-member in the front area of the engine compartment and a rear sump is the better choice. But more to the point, that X-member is at the very bottom of the chassis. I believe 1" tubing. You don't want anything hanging any lower. You definitely need a low profile pan. As for width, a Coyote fits into the Gen 3 Coupe with reasonable room to spare. Hard for me to imagine any 351 block even with oversize heads (if that's what yours are) won't fit. Haven't seen any builds of any type reference that transmission. So doubt you're going to get much feedback on that.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just checked a reference chart for motor dimensions the Windsor engine has a width of 24” and the coyote engine is 28” so with the extra width of the SC1 heads will be tight but may fit. Once I mock the motor up I will have a better idea of actual width measurement. Thanks for the advice as I am building this more in my head than anything just trying to foresee issues I will encounter.