Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel Pump relay question

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel Pump relay question

Just finished up the wiring to the rear of the car and wanted to check the fuel pump operation before I put in the truck aluminum. I'm running a carbureted 347 with a regular Holley pump. All my starter wiring is hooked up except the battery hot feed to the starter. Key switch is hooked up per manual. I ran a jumper from the battery to the solenoid side of the starter to check the pump operation. Went to check the key and found the fuel pump is off on accessory position, runs on off position, and runs on the on position. Is there something that needs to change with the fuel pump relay for a carbureted engine versus a fuel injected engine. I know the computer turns the ground on and off but I don't have that. Any body have any ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sitting here thinking about this I'm pretty sure it has to be the wiring on the back of the key switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    After I thought about it it could only be the wiring on the switch. So I relooked at it and the red and the black wires were crossed. Swapped them and and life is good.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are wired up, why are you jumping to the solenoid ? Shouldnt your power work with the key? Does the pump turn on without the jumper wire? I am thinking you are giving the pump power through your jumper, key on or off?
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going through the key. I only ran a jumper from the battery to the starter solenoid because I haven't made up the positive cable yet, to ,1. check to see that the key worked the system, and 2. to make sure the pump works with the key. which now it does after I swapped the two wires on the back of the switch I had wrong.