Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: The Beater

Post Thanks / Like

The Beater

Guess I found a name for the build thread. (I can change that later right?!).

First 2 questions already:

1) Did not receive a spacing tool and it's not on the inventory list. Is this a real thing? Guess I'll just make one.

2) Engine bay F panels don't line up with the frame. Not sweating the small stuff just wondering if I should assume where they are screwed is the best location or should I move the DS back to match the frame more.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    Guess I found a name for the build thread. (I can change that later right?!).

First 2 questions already:

1) Did not receive a spacing tool and it's not on the inventory list. Is this a real thing? Guess I'll just make one.

2) Engine bay F panels don't line up with the frame. Not sweating the small stuff just wondering if I should assume where they are screwed is the best location or should I move the DS back to match the frame more.

Thanks
    Mr. Miller,

No, don't assume that the screws place the panels in the perfect, 100% spot on location.
    Remove one panel and attempt to lay them up against the frame to see exactly where it fits best.
    You can see how they should fit in my walk around update video that I did a long, long time ago.

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

Just slow down or stop the video and you can get a good look at each panel and how they come together.

Good Luck & Have A Great Build!

Steve

PS: Just ignore the driveline!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-31-2018 at 08:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You should have the spacing tool in one of the boxes. If not call FFR for one they make rivet placement much easier and faster.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glennís 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aircraft Tool Supply Rivet Fan Spacer (Mini)

I think the adjustable spacing might work better.

Post Thanks / Like
    1. Agree the location of the aluminum panels for shipping may/may not be perfect and should be checked as you go. But if they are off, typically not much. Those guys have done just a few of these. But for those F panel pieces, I'd be more concerned about where they fit around the front suspension mounting points than that specific location by the radiator cross tube. That piece is known to be sometimes mounted at an angle. Hard to see in your pics, but looks like the gaps down by the suspension look pretty similar. But look there, not at what's in your pictures.

2. The rivet spacer tool looks like a ruler. 17 inches long x 1-1/2 inches wide with a row of 2-inch spaced holes along one edge and 3-inch spaced holes along the other edge. It should be in the same box as all the other loose aluminum pieces. It would be easy to miss. Handy to have if you didn't receive it.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014.
    Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. #7750 Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. #8674 Build Thread
    Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Delivered 12/2/2017. #59 Coupe Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    1. Agree the location of the aluminum panels for shipping may/may not be perfect and should be checked as you go. But if they are off, typically not much. Those guys have done just a few of these. But for those F panel pieces, I'd be more concerned about where they fit around the front suspension mounting points than that specific location by the radiator cross tube. That piece is known to be sometimes mounted at an angle. Hard to see in your pics, but looks like the gaps down by the suspension look pretty similar. But look there, not at what's in your pictures.

Thanks Ed, just wondering what I should optimize. Makes perfect sense, suspension mounting points it is.

2. The rivet spacer tool looks like a ruler. 17 inches long x 1-1/2 inches wide with a row of 2-inch spaced holes along one edge and 3-inch spaced holes along the other edge. It should be in the same box as all the other loose aluminum pieces. It would be easy to miss. Handy to have if you didn't receive it.
    Will check that box again.

Post Thanks / Like
    The good - Got the body off and onto the buck

body.jpgbody on buck.jpg

The bad - One of the two lower control arms has a bad fitting hole. Don't see anyway it could have been damaged in shipment. I think it was bad from the manufactuer

lower control arm.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a grease zerk got snapped off in transit... but they're usually not pre-installed... wierd.
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster - #9365 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Looks like a grease zerk got snapped off in transit... but they're usually not pre-installed... wierd.
    zerk was not installed. Was loose in packaging as instructions indicate. Part looks like it was either dropped really hard or mis-formed in factory.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm sure FF will make it right, just have to contact them.
    Higgy
    'Collecting knowledge and parts for a future build'

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question about the upper control arms. Assembled the first one exactly per both the photo and diagram shown in the manual. Attempting the other side and I don't understand how I can reverse the parts to put the solid side of the balljoint plate in the front. Is there a left and right balljoint mount. Mine are identical hence no way to reverse. IE the ball joint would point in when the control arm is horizontal not out as shown in the photos.

Thanks
    Last edited by miller7448; 08-08-2018 at 06:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick question about the upper control arms. Assembled the first one exactly per both the photo and diagram shown in the manual. Attempting the other side and I don't understand how I can reverse the parts to put the solid side of the balljoint plate in the front. Is there a left and right balljoint mount. Mine are identical hence no way to reverse. IE the ball joint would point in when the control arm is horizontal not out as shown in the photos.

Thanks
    UCA's will have the solid connection in the front on one side and the back on the other side. No problem and totally normal. In both cases, the ball joint must be pointed out at the bottom. Like this:

Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. 03 of 20. 2015 crate Coyote, 2015 IRS. Legal 04/18/2017. #8674 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ed, just seems like this will make alignment difficult since the geometry is so different. Will proceed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ed, just seems like this will make alignment difficult since the geometry is so different. Will proceed.
    Maybe seems that way, but it's not. Works out just fine. Whole bunch of 'em built this way and the alignment adjusts dead on. You're not the first to question it though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at going with an EFI 427 with a TKO-600 6 speed. I understand this might require cutting a cross member. Could not find anything searching here. Anyone familiar with this combination and required modification or other thoughts on this choice. Thanks.

Not a waxer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm looking at going with an EFI 427 with a TKO-600 6 speed. I understand this might require cutting a cross member. Could not find anything searching here. Anyone familiar with this combination and required modification or other thoughts on this choice. Thanks.
    TKO 600 is a 5 speed. T56 is 6 speed. Which is it? What rear end are you using? Be aware that the T56 is not recommended with a live axle due to driveshaft length.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    TKO's only come in 5-speed. I suspect you're asking about the 6-speed T-56? It's bigger, longer, and heavier than the TKO's. Yes, it will fit in the Roadster and a number have been done. But with several caveats: Generally the recommendation is only with IRS. The longer T-56 makes an already short driveshaft even shorter, and the solid axle is going to move too much. The fixed diff in an IRS setup can handle the shorter driveshaft. Having said that, guys have put a T-56 in a solid axle with a mod motor or a Coyote, because they put the bell housing/trans an inch or more forward compared to a SBF, so that's a more workable setup. I know that doesn't apply in your situation, but just giving a complete answer. Of course anything's possible if you're going to start cutting and welding, e.g. moving the motor mounts forward. But that gets into other issues, like headers, side pipe location, etc.

You don't say what rear suspension you have, and couldn't find it in your other posts. I'd recommend adding a sig line to your profile with your kit specifications. Lots of examples with other forum members.

Also, yes a change is required to the transmission A-frame. This thread describes and has some pics: https://www.ffcars.com/forums/45-for...m-fit-mk4.html
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-10-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes T56 MAG 2.66/63. Yes running IRS. I would love to add sign line and photo but don't know if I have reached enough posts but can't for the life of me find a place to edit it. And thanks for the link to the other forum!

It's always in the last place you look - under settings, found it.
    Last edited by miller7448; 08-10-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple questions.

1) I'm trying to avoid asking questions already answered here. When I query I just get a long list of threads, including build threads with no clue where the actual post containing relevant information exists within each thread. Is there a better way?

2) The hub studs to replace the originals do not have the same flat area to avoid interfering with the rubber piece between the two sections of the hub. Do people normally grind a flat for clearance?

3) Can't find a through hole lug nut listed on the inventory. Did I miss it, is one provided or do I just buy one?

Thanks
    Last edited by miller7448; 08-12-2018 at 11:16 AM. Reason: correction
    Mk4, IRS, 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG