Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Coyote Engine Oil and First Start Question

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Coyote Engine Oil and First Start Question

Guys

Starting the coyote is getting closer and closer on my build. As part of swapping out the oil pan, and a couple other tasks, I've drained the oil from the engine and put it in a clean container. Question is, when I put the oil back in ( existing oil, or perhaps new oil ), is there anything else I need to do before turning the key on this brand new engine ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    mark
    Build 1: Mk4 Complete Kit #9312 Ordered 1/27/18, Delivered 3/24/18, CA SB100 Registered 9/11/19 - Gen 2 Coyote TKO600, IRS, Power Steering, Wilwood Brakes, 17" Halibrand.
    Build 2: Gen3 Coupe Complete Kit #309 Ordered 1/25/21, Delivered 6/9/21 - BluePrint GM 427 LS T56, IRS, AC, Power Steering. Album Here

Post Thanks / Like
    A simple task, you may have already addressed, fill the oil filter.
    I am not ready for first start, but am running ideas through my head prior to the time.
    I will push the car outside, have a fire extinguisher on hand.
    The more eyes the better, watch for leaks, issues, etc.
    I think the coyotes are going to be, it cranks and starts, or it does not.
    I am sure I have not thought of everything, but others should come on soon.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    My engine had been not ran for a long time so i got a tank sprayer and primed the engine with a gallon of same oil as will be used.

Post Thanks / Like
    You'll probably need another quart of two of oil added from what was drained. The Moroso pan holds a little more, plus probably some loss in the drain, re-fill, etc. If you drained the oil from the engine into a clean container, as you said, I wouldn't hesitate to re-use it. Never a bad practice to replace the oil in a new engine after a few hundred miles. But for these production built engines, you'd be pretty safe not to IMO. Agree 100% about filling the oil filter before spinning it on. Unless the engine has been sitting for a real long time, it's safe to start as is IMO. I don't think they actually run them with fuel at the factory. But they're static tested so have oil already distributed throughout. Obviously, all the other fluids need to be filled as well. Coolant, power steering, trans, diff.

If wired and plumbed properly, you'll be amazed how quickly the Coyote will start the first time. With the key on, the fuel pump should start and you should see pressure at the regulator. The 2015+ Coyote only runs the fuel pump briefly with the key on, but you should still be able to check and make sure no fuel leaks. May have to cycle it a couple times because the pressure does drop back down pretty quickly. Also the first time the key is on, you should hear the throttle body initialize. Brief sound of the stepper motor. Agree, have it outside, have a helper or two to watch, a fire extinguisher, and go for it. Hopefully you have the gauges wired up. I wouldn't start without them. You should see the oil pressure spike up almost instantly. The Coyotes have very high pressure, especially when cold. You should see 14+ voltage (runs high too) and 1000+ RPM at first then drop down to 800 or so. Takes a little while for anything to show in the water temp gauge. Watch closely for any leaks.

Good luck!
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-01-2018 at 06:44 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Additional thoughts: check the gauge on the fuel pressure regulator. From the factory, mine was set at 20 lbs. The coyote wants 55. all you have to do is tighten the hex bolt on the top of the regulator. Also, if you're using vintage gauges and senders, make certain that the oil pressure sender is actually connected to the oil pressure gauge and not the water temp gauge. The connection points are interchangeable. Ask me how I know...
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mark

Lots of builders have done the same as you. Drained the oil that came with the engine, replaced the pan and sump pickup, then put the original oil back in, You shouldn't need any thing else. Top up the oil with a quality 5-20 weight synthetic. Some guys like to pre-prime the engine oiling system on new engines. This is generally for brand new from the engine builder engines. Your Coyote is a mass produced production model....Same thing that's in the GT Mustang. They are pre-primed at the factory as part of the QC checks. All you need to do to charge up the battery in your camera so we can see the ear to ear grin on your face, put beer on ice for the celebration and turn the key. Vroom. If you followed all the instructions from FFR and Ford Racing, it'll fire up and you can go-cart. Others have covered the safety stuff.