Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Blew up T5

Post Thanks / Like

Blew up T5

I also posted in the other forum.

Went for a quick 20 min drive yesterday evening before dinner, on the way back, luckily only about 3 km away I toasted my T5.
    Was cruising in 4th about 70 or 80 kmh down a country road, I’m up north at our family cottage for the summer, once I got past a few homes I dropped it down into 3rd, got hard on the gas. Accelerated hard as normal for a second or two then engine reved like I had spun the tires, I let off but the revs didn’t come back down the way they normally would, I also have never broken traction in 3rd, I then started hearing some very bad clanging and crashing from under the car and transmission tunnel.
    I pulled over quick as I could, clutch in and it was very jerky like something was binding.
    First thought was driveshaft but it’s fine, Car rolls in neutral smoothly. Engine starts and runs fine, tried to drive in 1st and 2nd but Car moves forward a foot then something binds and stops dead.
    Bad mechanical noises coming from tranny.
    Luckily my brother is up for the week, he drove over in my truck with a pull strap and we towed it back to the cottage. I tried putting it I 1st to roll down my driveway, with the clutch in and engine off it again rolled a foot then stopped dead. I didn’t think I would get it back out of gear.
    FYI I’m aware you arnt supposed to tow T5s, I’m sure it’s lunched anyway.

Anyhow, where to go from here? I bought it for 700 Canadian cash from a guy on a handshake that it had been rebuilt. Who knows?

I’ve got a 302 that’s probably about 300hp.

This was a budget build and I really don’t have any money to spend on it at the moment, but not going to let it sit, and also don’t want to cheap out and waste more money on something that’s going to blow up.
    Being in Canada it makes shipping/everything more expensive to get one from the usa too.
    Stock rebuilt T5? T5Z? Beefed up custom T5? Not really interested in a TKO as I think I need to change too much other stuff.
    Doubt I will be putting in more power anytime soon.

Advice?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there are a lot of claims about something being "rebuilt" that aren't true. Right now I'm looking at a '95 Mustang GT that claims to have a rebuilt engine and transmission (with the engine supposedly having a cam in it and who knows what else). But the guy who's selling it bought it from someone else with those claims, and I'm basically assuming they're all false or at least questionable and pricing my offer accordingly. Generally I think "buyer beware" unless you can verify.

What are you looking to spend? If you could pick up a used T5 that bolts up you could get going again while you save up for a different solution. T5Z would be the way I'd go if you want something tougher. At ~300 HP really a stock T5 should be fine, makes me think there was something wrong/worn with yours, or it had received enough prior abuse that it blew up.

I'm going back and forth on T5 vs. TKO... the TKO I know I won't blow up, but of course comes with a cost penalty.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like
    Where did you hear about not flat towing a car with a t5?

What is odd is that you said the car would roll while the trans was in 1st gear but the clutch depressed. There is a small chance the trans isn't the problem and this can be clutch related. Pull the trans and pressure plate and see if your clutch disc is still in one piece.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's ****ty news Andrew. The driving season up here is short enough as is, and now to be laid up with a break down simply sucks. If you start having Cobra withdrawals I'll scoot down from North Bay with my MkIV so you can have a fix.
    Seriously, sounds like you need to get the tranny out on the bench and do a full inspection on the rest of the drive train. Good point made by other on the clutch and pressure plate assembly. I've seen a couple of broken spring fingers ruin a guys day. If the tranny is toast you need to decide the path forward. Having a reliable ride comes at a cost.

Post Thanks / Like
    I broke 2nd gear in mine years ago when I was first driving the car. I think it was damaged when the donor was crashed. Anyway i took it to a transmission shop and they fixed in 2 days it for a few hundred bucks and cost of parts. This is likely your cheapest and fastest option. Over 34,000 miles now and no problem with 300 hp.
    David W
    Mkll 4874 built in 2004
    Gen 3 coupe #16 registered 2018 painted 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottiec View Post
    Where did you hear about not flat towing a car with a t5?
    I don't know where he heard it, but what he heard is correct. When a T5 is being towed in neutral with the engine off the output is spinning but the input shaft and cluster gear are stationary which means that no lube is being moved. The result is that the bearings between the stationary input and turning output are running dry and will ultimately fail. Twenty miles at low speeds MIGHT be OK, or might not...

Jeff

8. Likes Ducky2009 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Do NOT flat tow a T5!! Call Tremec, they will tell you the same thing, Jeff Kleiner is right. With a lack of lubrication, you will fry the bearings. I suspect the OP has seized bearings from the original owner, assuming the trans was full of fluid. Only way to determine the extent of the damage is to pull it apart. As long as the case isn't cracked, it can be rebuilt.

Video

Post Thanks / Like
    What Jeff and video dude said about towing was also my understanding. Went maybe 2 miles, wasn’t going to leave it there and pretty far out in the middle of nowhere to wait for a flatbed.

I said I would not roll in first with the clutch in. The engine will run though, clutch in in gear or clutch out in neutral. I thought about the clutch but the bag of bolts sounds from the transmission make me think it’s not.

Not sure when I will get it home to pull it but will advise.

I’m aware of fortes and levy, again being across the border makes it pretty spendy to get up here. I bought a ton of stuff from mike so obviously thought of him and will contact him.

My local transmission shop quoted me 1500 to rebuild my original donor T5 and replace the chipped 2nd gear. I think the price on a rebuilt one here is 800-1000 so doubt I would take to them.
    Last edited by Murd; 08-02-2018 at 07:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    I don't know where he heard it, but what he heard is correct. When a T5 is being towed in neutral with the engine off the output is spinning but the input shaft and cluster gear are stationary which means that no lube is being moved. The result is that the bearings between the stationary input and turning output are running dry and will ultimately fail. Twenty miles at low speeds MIGHT be OK, or might not...

Jeff
    Ahhhhh that makes sense. Didn't realize! I should know considering I rebuilt mine lol. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you may be at a crossroad here. The T5 box is ok for motors generating up to 275-300 ft/lb for the world class box with variable reliability (some blow up before the 275 ft/lb mark with hard shifting). For a more solid reliable box that you won’t break you can go promotion T5 ($$$) or I know you don’t want to hear it but you may want to do a TKO series transmission. You may even look for a used TKO 500/600 to so save some money. If it still not in the budget and you have to get the car out then I would say get a used T5 from a junk yard for cheep and use that while saving for a good box. Then sell the T5 when you get a better gear box. Just remember to be careful with the T5 (no clutch dumps or hard downshifts) or you’ll break it.
    Mk4, Moser M88 rear end, Eaton truetrak, Craft Racing 461 Windsor, MMR pro trans, Glenn’s 1,000 hp cobra fuel system and lots of other parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    OP stated he was on a budget and didn't want a tko. Sorry to hear you're broke down. You can rebuild it yourself with little knowledge or build it stronger with better alloy gear sets.

Here is thread that gives you a couple options. Rebuild it well for 500 or rebuild it with t5z, carbon fiber syncros, and alloy gears for 1000.

https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...ebuilding-a-T5

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice. Right now I’m leaning towards getting one local from a guy that builds them from stock spec to big hp g force components.
    I would like the project of doing a rebuild myself but the timing is wrong. As a winter project yes but I don’t have the time right now and I’d like to get back on the road.
    I’ll just have to spend a bit more and put something in that is strong and won’t break.
    Thanks again

Post Thanks / Like
    Just went yesterday and picked up my new T5 I had built. Basically built to T5z spec with 2.95 1st gear, moly hardened gears, new syncrotech carbon syncros, billet countershaft bearing support, steel bearing retainer. All new parts except output shaft, cases and 5th gear.
    Just got the engine pulled to put it back in.
    Had a good experience with the guy that built it, price was reasonable and he got it done pretty quick. Not sure I’m allowed to put the name here as he’s not a supporting vendor? I’m in Ontario Canada, so went with someone local, not very economical to get one from across the border.
    Will report how I make out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats MURD. If someone wants a t5z this is the way to go. Super strong, super affordable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck Andrew. There's still a couple of months left in this driving season.

Quebec City on Sunday
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, got it back in and 90% put back together then had to go away on business for a week. Flying home now, can’t wait to get it done and back on the road!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished putting her back together tues night, back on the road yesterday.
    Great to be back driving and the taller 2.95 first gear is a huge improvement in driveablity
    Had a good experience with Rick at T5 specialties, I know a few local guys with FFRs have used him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Murd View Post
    Finished putting her back together tues night, back on the road yesterday.
    Great to be back driving and the taller 2.95 first gear is a huge improvement in driveablity
    Had a good experience with Rick at T5 specialties, I know a few local guys with FFRs have used him.
    Is this the guy that advertises on Kijiji?
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that is him, spoke to a couple other guys that used him too, good guy.

22. Likes Higgybulin liked this post