BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MAF Cold Air Intake ?

Post Thanks / Like

MAF Cold Air Intake ?

I need some guidance on selecting a cold air intake tube and filter for the A50XS Coyote engine. The engine comes with the CJ intake and dual 65 mm oval TB.
    I prefer a 4", which might be my only option and no 3.5 mm reducers.
    If anyone has some experience, use or advise on this, bring it on. I have let time slip up on me and hopefully will need it soon for first start.
    I am doing some searches maybe I will be informed enough to use any info.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went with 123 MM mass air flow housing and air filter from ford racing, but it is hard to get the elbow five inch oval to round. SurfDog57 on the other form used a silicone hose with good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am hoping a silicone sleeve will conform to the oval TB and then to a 4 inch tube. I hate to start buying numerous items, not knowing if they will fit. Maybe Bear AvHistory will chime in. I cannot tell from his pictures if he has an oval TB or not. His tubing and filter look like a good fit. I am also open to recommendations for vendors. I will do some more digging on the Ford Racing site.
    Thanks,

I ran across this, but afraid it is too wide for the MkIV.
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M50CJ

Update, FFR's display car for their 20th Anniversary edition of the MKIV has an oval TB and cold air tube in the photo. Guess who will get a call Monday.
    Last edited by Railroad; 08-04-2018 at 07:34 PM.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I found the right part Steeda SDA-555-3130-B.
    Will NOT fit, oval end too small by 1"width.
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9603-M50CJ
    is way too large to fit in the engine bay of the MKIV.
    The cold air tube is tapered full length, so sectioning would be a nightmare. The MAF sensor boss is in the part that would be cut off.

Latest attempt is buying a 5 to 4" silicone reducer, 4" 90* alum tube, 4" silicone sleeve, Spectre 4" MAF housing and a hand full of hose clamps.
    Last edited by Railroad; 08-12-2018 at 07:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know it has been some time - but I am currently facing same issue with the A50XS.
    How did your conversion to 4" tubing work out ?

I have the A50XS in a 33 Hot Rod and I am considering a Oval to 4" round then an aluminum Y pipe with 4" legs to run dual filters / single MAF.
    I think I can work around the single MAF with K value settings ( and a tuner...).
    Any advice from your experience would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact Guy Smith at Spectre Performance and he can put together components that would fit and look the way you want them to. A note, Spectre Performance is a K&N company.
    [email protected]
    He worked with me to put together a solution using K&N and Spectre components for my Coyote powered 70 Mustang restomod. He is good to work with and can offer options on the components used and appearance.
    Here is a link to my build thread on the Vintage Mustang Forum.
    https://www.vintage-mustang.com/thre...#post-10516669
    Look at post 237 for pictures of what we made up for my car. It was not cheap, but I got the fit and the look I wanted.
    MK4 base kit, 2004 Mach 1 donor, 4.6L DOHC, TR-3650 5-speed, narrowed stock axle with 3.55 gears and TruTrac, PS, PB, ABS, 17" Halibrand replica wheels, started 12/2011, registered 9/2014, sold 3/1/2018.
    1970 Mustang Fastback Coyote powered Boss 302 tribute. Started 10/14/16.
    Gen 3 Coupe Base Kit non-donor build. Ordered 4/5/2024 to be received August 2024.

Post Thanks / Like
    The MAF sensor will need to be in the 4" tube and approx 10 or 11" from the throttle body. An alternative might be an air screen or straightener in a shorter tube.