Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: anyone successfully plated an 818R in Ontario?

Post Thanks / Like

anyone successfully plated an 818R in Ontario?

hey, i'm the new guy here! I am considering buying an 818R in the next couple of years (hopefully cheeto's trade war nonsense is settled by then and the exchange rate recovers!) as the next step up from my vw golf race car. one aspect I like about these is that there seems to be a bit of leeway regarding putting a plate on it. I have researched and think I understand the importation part of all of this but I am foggy on the registration for the road part of this equation. MTO must really hate home built cars because NOTHING shows up on their website. kinda like they just want the whole thing to go away...

so, I guess this is a 2 question thread;

1. what search terms on the MTO site will actually pull up the process for getting a car on the road? I mean, it CAN'T just be the same as a manufactured car can it?
    2. the 818R specifically, anyone plated one here yet? looking at the safety inspection checklist to get a plate on a normal car, it would seem not too terrible. except one thing. windshield, the R doesn't have one. so wipers and defrost don't exist... a problem? hopeful that it's not because you can get a Polaris slingshot registered for the road but I don't know if that's classified as a motorcycle...

the point about all of this is that if it's possible to register an R for the road, I can then simplify my life and get rid of the trailer and tow vehicle. could be worth the effort to do it.

if I can't then i'd look into the 818s due to the existence of the windshield but then revise to roll hoop to more like the R. or i'd scrap the whole plated part of the equation and stick with the trailer.... let's face it, insurance in this province may price me out of a plate anyways!

thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure. I’ve got a mk4 cobra I just got played 2 months ago. The only company that will insure them is called Zher, Kurtis there told me he had been successful getting all FFR models insured except the 818, not specifically the R. Might want to see if anyone has been able to insure an 818 to start.
    Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have an 818S insured thru Zehr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpyguy View Post
    I have an 818S insured thru Zehr.
    Lumpy, can you please PM me with your policy details, or give me a call to discuss insurance.

Ryan Valin
    Valin's Custom Cars
    (705) 207-4297
    Ryan Valin
    Valin's Custom Cars, Inc.

[email protected]
    (705) 207-4297