Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help needed-stupid move

Post Thanks / Like

Help needed-stupid move

Guys,
    I did a dumb *** move-I installed the steering control brackets up side down-the Conical hole is facing the wrong way-ahhhh
    Best part, I had the whole front suspension done-then I went to put the steering rack in.....and guess what, installing the conical ball joint from the steering rack would not fit in.

So, I took off the brakes, no biggie, undid the lower A arm ball joint cotter pin and nut, no biggie-thinking I would just slide the steering bracket off and flip it to the correct orientation-wrong!
    The bolt are just about 1/2 to long for that to happen-****

So, How do I loosen and get the lower ball joint out of the spindle??????

Is there a tool for that? Trick of the trade.....

Any input and help is much appreciated-
    Thanks
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like
    This should help:

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You can try a Ball Joint Press or Ball Joint Clamp if the Forks don't do the trick.
    Most can be rented at any National Chain Auto Parts Store.
    Shown below is an example of the tools in question:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Biltek-6p...ller/168757219

Good Luck!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 08-04-2018 at 05:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ball joints can be a pain to take apart once they've been seated. If you get rough with them, can damage parts including the boots. Why not go at it from a different direction? Leave the ball joints alone and unbolt the front wheel hub nuts and pull the hub out enough to clear the bolts. Then remove the steering arms and flip them around the other direction and to the opposite sides. So the taper is the right direction. This exact question came up a couple months ago in another post, with the same issue. Hard to remove the ball joints so removed the hubs.

Unfortunately, you're not the only what that's gotten tripped up on this. Easy to miss in the instructions: "The spindles are marked DSS (Driver Side Spindle) and PSS (Passenger Side Spindle). These refer to the way they are mounted on the FFR Hot Rod which is rear steer. The FFR Roadster uses these as front steer so they are mounted opposite. The DSS spindle is mounted on the right side and the PSS spindle is mounted on the left side."
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Martin - it's not a stupid move, it's more like a rite of passage. Congrats, and welcome to the club!
    Mk4 #8861 Complete kit. Delivered: 27 Apr 2016, currently a roller.
    Gen-2 Coyote, clutch, TKO600, midshift, and solid axle from Forte. Many pieces from Breeze and Replicarparts.

Post Thanks / Like
    THanks Edward
    Let me ask you a question:
    So I torqued the wheel assembly to 250 lf/ft as listed
    Are you telling me to remove the nut on the hub and the hub will come off? I thought it was also "pressed" onto the shaft
    Private message me, If I can call you on this
    Thanks
    M

Post Thanks / Like
    Ahhh, I know and I'm good with it. Just a pain in the ***......****.
    Any input and advise?
    M

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yep. I did it to. As have several others.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmarto View Post
    THanks Edward
    Let me ask you a question:
    So I torqued the wheel assembly to 250 lf/ft as listed
    Are you telling me to remove the nut on the hub and the hub will come off? I thought it was also "pressed" onto the shaft
    Private message me, If I can call you on this
    Thanks
    M
    I don't think there's any need for PM or call. Plus I won't be home all day today. Yes, remove the previously torqued hub nut and the hub should slide off as a complete assembly. Just how it went on. Sometimes they are a little tight on the spindle shaft. So depending on how hard it was to slide on, it may take a little persuasion to slide off. But it should come off. Assuming you assembled the front suspension in the order shown in the manual, the upper and lower ball joints were assembled, then the steering arm, then the hub. So reversing the assembly, take the hub off first. Just presenting as an alternative to trying to get the ball joints apart.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I am understanding your issue correctly, two hammers smacked together on each side will pop it out.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I did it too.
    JR
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    If I am understanding your issue correctly, two hammers smacked together on each side will pop it out.
    THIS is the best way to remove them. Most of the time, one hammer will work. Two from opposite sides if they are really stuck. You are squeezing the hole on the tapered shaft and they pop right out.

My only concern is that this counts on the tapered fit, which you don't really have with them in backwards. But, I would try this method first. Pickle forks damage the ball joint. Putting a nut on and whacking it also damages things most of the time. I have never used one of the spreaders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Agreed with Avalanch325. Since the ball joint has recently been installed, a couple of solid taps on the outside of the steering arms and it will fall out. No need for anything more elaborate. You realize how easy it is and be glad you didn't dismantle any more of the front end components.
    MkIV #7854, Kit picked up September 2012, Coyote/BOSS 302 intake tuned at 488HP, TKO600, Center Force, Moser 8.8, driveshaft safety hoop, Stainless Header 4x1x4 headers, Gas-N-sidepipes, rad shroud, Wilwoods, NO PS/PB, heater/defroster, heated seats, wipers, Herb door panels, Dynamat Extreme sound/heat dampening, premium Rodtop top, Fast Freddie lexan wind screen, Nitto 555R, drop trunk battery, drop trunk storage,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I don't think there's any need for PM or call. Plus I won't be home all day today. Yes, remove the previously torqued hub nut and the hub should slide off as a complete assembly. Just how it went on. Sometimes they are a little tight on the spindle shaft. So depending on how hard it was to slide on, it may take a little persuasion to slide off. But it should come off. Assuming you assembled the front suspension in the order shown in the manual, the upper and lower ball joints were assembled, then the steering arm, then the hub. So reversing the assembly, take the hub off first. Just presenting as an alternative to trying to get the ball joints apart.
    This is what I did ...and it worked like a charm. Ball joints came out easily.
    Last edited by RJD; 08-07-2018 at 06:14 PM.
    MKIV complete kit w/powder coating and cut outs, serial #9189 delivered 10/10/17, first start - 10/5/18, legal - 10/08/20. Blueprint 306 w/Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, power steering, Breeze fan shroud, trunk cubby, & engine compartment battery kit, CNC brake reservoirs, RT turn signal & gas pedal, mechanical throttle linkage, METCO safety loop, GASN side pipes, drop trunk, dual chrome roll bars, vintage gauges, glove box, custom center console, cup holders, and speakers.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also made this same mistake... and many more mistakes followed!

Somehow I got through it and you will too.
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    ditto to what cnutting said and I got out of it the way Avalanche325 describes. Good luck!
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I just went through the exact same thing, in the end I ended up taking off the hub nuts and hub. Wasn’t hard at all, just needed a breaker bar. Make sure you replace the hub nut, Breeze sells them ant there’s a dorman part too. I posted a thread on the other forum recently with more details. Good luck.