BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 6 Hour Utah Race Recap

Post Thanks / Like

6 Hour Utah Race Recap

We ran a nice little 6 hour race this weekend with the FFR PDG Mendeola GTM with driving duties being handled by myself, Carl Rydquist, and Beau Borders.

We were the overall fast qualifier, won our class, and finished 4th overall, but that is just part of the story...

First off is that the competition in Utah is VERY high. Add to that the fact that the Continnetal Tire series is racing there this weekend coming up and we had quite a few professional teams there to practice and get track time before this weekends event, which made the competition doubly difficult.

To out qualify two Lamborghini Huracans, an Audi R8, and a bunch of Porsche GT3/GT4 Cup cars and BMWs was pretty overwhelming.

We had run with the Lambos before which are factory delivered to run in the Trofeo Racing Series and they are REALLY fast. I am actually not sure how we out qualified them. We figure it must have been our luck with traffic and getting a clear lap during qualifying.

So the race starts with us on the pole and Beau does a great job. We run a lot of fuel, so it really wasn't a shocker that we had dropped down to 7th place after a few laps. The longer the races, the more they end up playing to the strength that we have of having a large fuel tank, and this race was a great example of that.

We simply ran our own pace and race and then waited for the other competitors to either have problems, or simply have to come in and refuel and change tires before we did.

When Beau came in to turn the car over to me, we were running 2nd overall and 1st in class.

I got in and just couldn't make the car go fast. We hadn't changed tires and I thought that had something to do with it, but I just wasn't getting the job done as I was also recovering from an illness. We had been discussing it on the radio and decided to bring me in early in order to change tires and put Carl in the car. We were in 3rd place overall and 1st in class when we did this.

Carl did make the car go faster, but was still about 6-8 seconds a lap off what we qualified at. Something was definitely not right with the car.

We finished the race in 4th overall and 1st in class, but were kinda down that we could not have done better in the race. The car came in and I was looking it over and things started to make some sense.

We had been experiencing a left front tire lockup since early in the race. The tires that came off the car when I got out had a ton of buildup on the left front. There were reports by other racers that we were throwing sparks on the track, and I had reported in that the frame was hitting in two spots on the track. We had put softer springs on the car and were speculating that this was the reason for the frame hitting...but it wasn't.

It turns out that very early on in the race, about lap 44 by looking at the data, we partially broke a Corvette right rear lower control arm and ran for almost 5 hours with this suspension arm broken! To say that we got lucky that something catastrophic did not happen is about the least we can say. How this arm stayed together is beyond me, and the fact that we ran the lap times we did with this issue on the most critical corner of the car really says something for our drivers and for the strength of these factory GM parts.

Since we have gone to a stiffer shock and spring about 2 years ago, we have constantly been looking for things like cracks in the frame, suspension, etc. We had seen nothing until this failure here. Obviously we will address this going forward with a redesign of the shock mount, but, again, the strength of these components can not be understated. The GM suspension parts are STRONG.

So given everything that happened, and that the team was near flawless on pit stops and strategy, we feel the 4th overall is a great finish.

Special thanks to all our friends in Utah that helped us out with RVs, meals, pit crewing, etc. Without the support of the local Utah FFR community, we could not have done this race...THANK YOU!!!
    Last edited by crash; 08-06-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on a great race! Thank you for the "inside pit row" experience. Most of all, we are thankful that the suspension arm held together and nothing catastrophic occurred. Your angels were flying very close this weekend!!!

When and where is the next race? We will look forward to coming along with you.
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, I typed wrong. We ended up 4th overall and 1st in class. Next race is a 4 hour race at Sonoma. We may run this or may not depending upon the year end points race. The next race we are definitely doing is the 25 Hours of Thunderhill on the first weekend of December.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on the class win!
    Do you have any pics of the control arm?
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Almost 50% of the structure of the A-arm compromised (broke the smaller arm)? How did that stay together on a TRACK??
    Did you at least make a wish?
    MK3.1 2004 Mach 1 donor. ABS, PS, TC.
    GTM #304 LPE 525hp LS3
    2000 C5 Lingenfelter LS1@489hp
    1999 Corvette FRC/Z06 track car

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a lottery ticket last week, but didn't get even one number, so I guess all my luck was used to keep this thing together long enough that no one got hurt.
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts

Post Thanks / Like
    Great finish!
    I can easily imagine a podium would have been in the cards, if that piece hadn't broken.
    6-8 seconds a lap slower, equals at least another lap over 5 hours I would imagine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1st in class with a broken Ctrl Arm and other issues. That's bad-a$$!

Are the points higher for finishing 1st over all classes, or is that just bragging rights?
    Custom LCD Gauges , Data Loggers, Control Touch Screens
    www.LCDdash.com \\ 647-522-9953 \\ Voice & Text
    Proud new owner of GTM Gen 1., #105 - 08/27/11
    LQ9 Powered, G96.00 6 speed transaxle

Post Thanks / Like
    It's all just for fun, bragging rights, and "bowling trophies".
    www.myraceshop.com

GTM solution kits
    Corvette and Race parts