Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: NC (third gen) Miata Brake Booster and Master Cylinder

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

NC (third gen) Miata Brake Booster and Master Cylinder

So I decided on how I want to tackle the brakes. Knowing that there are mixed opinions on the manual brake setup, I wanted to keep boosted brakes. However, the Subaru booster and master cylinder simply don't fit well in the area provided by FFR and likely provide too much brake pressure.

So I scoured the internet for small car brake booster options to find one that has the same firewall bolt pattern as the Subaru. This turned out to be extremely difficult because the bolt pattern info for most cars is not easy to find on the internet. Out of luck, I managed to determine that NA and NB miatas should have the same 80mmx60mm brake booster bolt pattern as the Subaru. The miatas also had small 7.5" or 8" (will measure mine when it's delivered) single diaphragm brake boosters. Perfect for the 818! Even better, the Subaru master cylinder might bolt on if you wanted since they're both horizontal mount. Haven't confirmed if MC bolt spacing is the same.

But I didn't buy a NA or NB booster/master cylinder... I bought an NC auto transmission booster and master. There was a downside to doing this, the Subaru master cylinder will for sure no longer bolt up and the common Mazda 929 1" master cylinder won't bolt up either. So I've limited my ability to mess around with master cylinder sizes besides the 7/8" stock. But, the NC master cylinder is very short and side ported! So I think this will resolve all of the fitment issues of the Subaru setup and has a decent chance of giving good brake feel and function. I believe I will also be able to trade my NC setup for a NA/NB setup with a local miata parts guy if I determine the NC setup won't work for me.

Take all of this info with a heavy grain of salt for the moment. I have not received the booster yet, but I will have it in this week to test fitment. It will be quite some time before I'll be able to comment on pedal feel, but I thought I'd get this info out there for any others interested in brake options. I will update this thread once I fit the booster and hopefully remember to later once I have the brakes functional
    NC miata booster.JPG
    Last edited by lsfourwheeler; 08-07-2018 at 11:25 AM.