BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: $5 steering rack cradle

Post Thanks / Like

$5 steering rack cradle

I was very unhappy with the options for the passenger side steering rack bracket. I know there are options out there, but I also like saving money when I can. Here's my $5 solution:
    IMG_3118.jpg
    IMG_3179.JPG

It's made from a 1-1/2" pipe riser clamp. Typical usage:
    oatey-pipe-hangers-33581-31_1000.jpg

It's not pretty, but it works just fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the OEM part not work? Looks like its about $5 too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks good Brian. This is what I ended up with.

rack.jpg

Beware, The brackets that mount the rack are not symmetrical on the frame. I added spacers to adjust the nose steel.
    I also added a rack extension to one end of the steering rack.
    Bob
    Last edited by Bob_n_Cincy; 02-14-2020 at 01:14 AM.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by c11k View Post
    Does the OEM part not work? Looks like its about $5 too.
    By OEM, if you mean the Subaru bracket, then yes. I couldn't get that bracket to fit, mostly due to the vertical offset required to make the rack level. If you mean the FFR bracket, then also yes, at least in my case. I'm not sure I had all the original spacers and brackets since I am using an 06 rack and Bob had planned to use an 05 (I think). Whatever the case, the parts I had on hand in the kit and from the donor were unsatisfactory for me. I briefly contemplated using a 3d printed part but talked myself out of it (even though my son did a great job designing & printing it. That part was beautiful compared to my welded up job!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_n_Cincy View Post
    Beware, The brackets that mount the rack are not symmetrical on the frame. I added spacers to adjust the nose steel.
    I also added a rack extension to one end of the steering rack.
    Bob
    Thanks for that reminder Bob. It certainly isn't visibly off. I'll be sure to measure it before I get too much further. You included a Zero Decibel steering rack extender in the kit which I installed a few weeks (months?) ago. Another reminder that it's time to update the build thread even though it feels like little progress has been made. <sigh>