Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR 33 Hood clearance

Post Thanks / Like

FFR 33 Hood clearance

Hello all, I am trying to figure out if my current setup will allow the use of the original hood. I would really like to not have to use the raised clearance hood option. I prefer the flat hood. I have a 1/2" spacer under the air filter base to keep it from binding on the throttle linkage. I guess I could remove that spacer and cut a relief in the base for the throttle linkage but would prefer not too. My question to you all is if you look at my pictures: how much more does the rear of the hood sit up on the firewall from the point of where I have my level sitting and also if I measure from the cross frame in the front support( please see my pictures for reference ) up to the bottom of my level what is that measurement. I can then take those measurements and mirror them with my level to see if the flat hood would work.

My setup seems tall for a SBF I think bc I am running FAST XFI with their throttle body, intake manifold and multiport setup. Their throttle linkage arm is pretty long and is vertical so this is the reason for the air cleaner base issue too

Post Thanks / Like
    I only have stage 1 and it does not come with the grill. In my pictures I have built a frame to hold the radiator just for go karting purposes :grin2:

So I guess I am asking those that have the whole kit what is the measurement from the front cross frame ( like in my one picture ) to the top of the grill where the hood rest. I don't think I was clear in my original post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JEMAN View Post
    I only have stage 1 and it does not come with the grill. In my pictures I have built a frame to hold the radiator just for go karting purposes :grin2:

So I guess I am asking those that have the whole kit what is the measurement from the front cross frame ( like in my one picture ) to the top of the grill where the hood rest. I don't think I was clear in my original post
    JEMAN,

If no one post it today I will take the photos and measurements when I get home. I also just have stage 1 right now but after hearing that the grill is in Stage 2 I asked them to ship it to me with stage 1 and they did. So I will be able to measure it from the grill to the top of the firewall.

Where are you located anyway? You might find that there is someone in your area that will let you drop by and see their car and take measurements are your going along.
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    TDSapp,

Thank you, it will be greatly appreciated. I like the look of the flat hood so I am trying to see if I can get away with that instead of the raised hood. I was a little annoyed when I started my build and found out that I had no way to mount my grill, steering wheel or j pipes for the headers. I thought it was suppose to be able to be go karted in stage one. I am glad to hear that you knew ahead of time and had them include it.

I am located in Savannah Ga

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind the FFR hood is a double layer with the strengthening ribs up the center. This is where most of the interference occurs. You can trim the ribs and move the reinforcement around the air cleaner in many cases. This leaves a "normal" looking exterior, but requires a few hours of work. Yes its tough to build in 2 separate stages for multiple reasons. Since FFR doesn't include any dimensions in the manual the task is mainly trial and retrial. Mine doesn't even have the original radiator so I don't have dimensions for the original grille. Sorry, somebody will come up with them.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the basic hood as well. SBF with edelbrock carb on top of aluminum single plane. I have beat the bushes for an air cleaner that will fit under the hood. Only thing I have found to date is a cheapo Jegs brand 14" assy with a 3" filter element. It has a drop base that barely clears the carb linkage and I am not really happy with it. I have been un-able to find a 2" x 14" reusable element so I could use the edelbrock filter top assy. I can guarantee the setup you have will not clear by a mile. My air cleaner clears the under hood skin by less than 1/2". Using a level like your first picture, the top of the radiator cap is 1.25" below hood for reference purposes. I did have a 14" off brand with an offset base that moved the top of the assy. farther to the rear. That may give you a better option but I really think the only good option is that funky dual filter polished intake that puts one small filter on each side. For the record, the optional hood is not much taller at the point where your carb stud is located. They made it taller on the front to clear the new modular motors with the big throttle bodies way out in front. If you need anything more specific from me, just give a call or whatever and I will be happy to help...
    Last edited by Brave Salmon; 09-05-2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: added "could" to line 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Brave Salmom - thank you for the reply. same here with my setup. it got pretty tall as I also have a single plane intake but than also have a spacer under the throttle body so the throttle linkage can clear the fuel rail for the multiport setup. You stated a good point that I did not know ( as I do not have the hood or body yet) that the raised hood really only offering you more rise at the front by the accessory drive. That was very helpful to know. guess back to the drawing board on this one

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brave Salmom - thank you for the reply. same here with my setup. it got pretty tall as I also have a single plane intake but than also have a spacer under the throttle body so the throttle linkage can clear the fuel rail for the multiport setup. You stated a good point that I did not know ( as I do not have the hood or body yet) that the raised hood really only offering you more rise at the front by the accessory drive. That was very helpful to know. guess back to the drawing board on this one
    On my "DRAWING BOARD" I went with a race glass 33 hood (smaller), pie cut it to get it wider and raised the center up in back to create a cowl inductionesque clearance. To make this work with the FFR hinges you will have to add bracing. Makes the rake of the car look better than the front bubble approach. I also put an air dam in front of the intake to push hot radiator air out the sides. A low profile "hat" with the cone filter off to the side may solve your issue also.

Post Thanks / Like

sturigus83. Jeman I live not far from you down by Brunswick Ga.

TDSapp,

Thank you, it will be greatly appreciated. I like the look of the flat hood so I am trying to see if I can get away with that instead of the raised hood. I was a little annoyed when I started my build and found out that I had no way to mount my grill, steering wheel or j pipes for the headers. I thought it was suppose to be able to be go karted in stage one. I am glad to hear that you knew ahead of time and had them include it.

I am located in Savannah Ga
    I also live down by Savannah. I live about 25 miles from Brunswick. I would love to talk with you and see what you have and get some ideas before i order my kit i have a lot of questions before i place my order. You can contact me at [email protected]