Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Love that chopped top look....

Post Thanks / Like

Love that chopped top look....

Guys,

I have always loved the look of a car with a chopped top. Even though it makes it harder to drive I still think about it on a regular basis. I have asked before if I would be able to chop the windshield and still use the same rag top that FFR sells.

I don't yet have my windshield but maybe a few inches removed would be possible. Nothing this extreme but still chopped none the less.

Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh and I am only 5' 8" and my wife is 5' 2" so there is no issue with how tall we are.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it too, but for that much chop it should be sectioned too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tim,
    The windshield frame is in two pieces, top half and bottom. So, those posts could be shortened and still fit together. Getting glass cut to fit will take some study. The drop-top should work with the cut-down windscreen but the placement of the base of the windscreen would change a bit. There's not a lot of room for the back of the ragtop to change location, so most likely you'd locate the ragtop first and then look for the best location for the windscreen's base. There should be plenty of room....

Hope this helps,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    "I have always loved the look of a car with a chopped top. Even though it makes it harder to drive I still think about it on a regular basis. I have asked before if I would be able to chop the windshield and still use the same rag top that FFR sells."

Something else to consider, is the top material, and the tops frame work. Does the material have enough stretch, to allow for it to be pulled down further than intended, and the same thing for the frame?

Ron
    "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the Devil knows you're dead"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Presto51 View Post
    "I have always loved the look of a car with a chopped top. Even though it makes it harder to drive I still think about it on a regular basis. I have asked before if I would be able to chop the windshield and still use the same rag top that FFR sells."

Something else to consider, is the top material, and the tops frame work. Does the material have enough stretch, to allow for it to be pulled down further than intended, and the same thing for the frame?

Ron
    This is why I posted asking if I could still use the same Rag top.

My windshield was delivered yesterday so I will be able to take a look at it this weekend. Depending on if it is curved glass or not will let me know how hard it will be to replace. Might be able to get a glass shop to cut it down or replace it. If anything I might have to talk to a shop that can do a custom rag top for me.
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    The windshield is raked back at a pretty sharp angle. As you shorten the frame it will pull away from the top. If the back of the top is fixed and you pull the front down it is also going to shrink back since the top is closing on a radius, not straight down. The top will need to be longer to reach the shorter windshield frame. Custom rag top.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    For the cost of the available top I think it may be easier to start with an aftermarket bow frame, modify it , and then have an upholstery shop fit custom canvas to it.