Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Upper Control ARMs on Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe

Post Thanks / Like

Upper Control ARMs on Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe

So I got all my suspension installed with my brakes, but things looks a little caddy-wampus. Can you verify whether or not these are install properly. It seems if I flip the ball joints they will not angle correctly, but I may be wrong. No one has been able to clarify yet. The pic below is my car, installed. The lower pic is a stock photo and the ball joint would angle outward, but it would cause severe negative camber on my car. Thanks in advance for any help!

Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post

stack
    anglepic.JPG
    Gen3 Coupe - SOLD Arrival: 6/21/18 SOLD: 4/12/2019
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3
    Current Projects: Superlite/RCR GTR ***FOR SALE***
    @madd_wrapps on IG or www.maddwrapps.com

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    That picture looks like the lower arm, steering rack, and shock are in the race ride height position, they should be in the lowest set of holes. Then also the upper arm is in the FFR spindle street location and not above the tabs like it should be for a donor spindle. The lower arm should be in the lower set of holes for street ride height, but the upper arm needs to mount on top of the bracket for the SN95 spindles.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    That makes sense, I didn't realize that it didn't go in between. I would prefer the car be at the lower setting. I'll explain why and I'd love to get feedback. In the past as I've lowered vehicles, changing the ride height takes away from the overall shock travel. While installing these parts, I noticed the same will happen. I'd rather be able to raise the car a bit and maintain the shock travel. Also, I plan to run 18s or 19s so I don't think (based on what I know so far) that ground clearance will be an issue. Happy to hear your thoughts.

Lastly, you didn't comment on the balls joints. Am I correct in assuming they are properly installed? Thanks Jim!
    Current Vehicle: 2014 SRT Viper (modded to the moon), 2022 TRX, 2014 RS6, E46 LS3 M3

Post Thanks / Like
    (FYI, not a FFR Rep, just making observations)

Reading between the lines a bit... does this imply that you can't use the SN95 spindles for a race height setting? If the upper control arms need to go above the tabs for a street setting then they'd need to move up another equal amount for a race height. Since TheBabyBadger wants a race height configuration, he'd either need to (1) move the upper control arm above the tab and use FFR spindles, or (2) weld on another tab above the current top tab and then move the upper control arm to bolt above that while keeping the donor spindles. Or maybe (3) Lower the bracket on the SN95 spindles and still move the upper control arm above the tab
    Last edited by q4stix; 08-08-2018 at 12:45 PM. Reason: add possible option 3
    Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for missing the ball-joint question, they are actually backwards as the angle needs to point the ball-joint down and outward to give the most clearance in suspension travel. On the suspension what is important is the geometry is maintained, and the race ride height is only designed around the complete kit spindles, so I would leave everything in the standard location. You can however move the shock between holes without changing geometry. If you want you can email me the specs of what you want to do (tire sizes, desired ride height, etc) and I can look it over. Its just Jim(at)factoryfive(dot)com
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    STIX: Thanks... actually Stix that clarifying questions was excellent, I hadn't considered that, but it also wasn't mentioned in the instructions the two heights weren't interchangeable without the FFR spindles. I'll put everything into the lower ride height holes and adjust the shock mount location for maximum travel.

JIM - Once I confirm my wheel and tire selection, I'll send you some specs so I can get the suspension dialed. I'd like the geometry as neutral as possible for good tire wear, it wont see the track much, if at all, just some fun back roads. Maybe a little front camber, nothing crazy. I just wanna thank you, as all of the FFR guys have been AWESOME and I appreciate the lightning fast response.

To be completely clear, you said the balls joints were backwards... so am I switching sides or flipping them to correct the angle?

Thanks in advance!

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately you will have to unscrew them and flip them over, switching sides wouldn't fix the issue.

From the sounds of how you are describing what you want I think the street ride height is definitely your best option, the race ride height is really lower than you would want to be for driving around on real roads with speed bumps and driveway curbs.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds good. Thank you, Jim! I'll be in touch once I get the wheels all figured out.