BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  14
Likes Likes:  31
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TONKS 347 the Baker's Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note for others---the F panels can be installed after the front suspension with the only caveat being that you need to take into account gun access when determining rivet placement.

Looking good Mitchell!

Jeff

2. Likes doddmoore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doddmoore View Post
    I don't. I'm going with powder coat that is really close to the paint I used. I've seen it in the guy's shop and it looks great. I'm going to mask my frame up and gloss the F panel with several coats of automotive enamel. It won't match but it will be super close.
    Good. You have a plan. I will look forward to seeing your powder coat color. Your chosen color looks great! Does POR15 make anything close to the right color. This stuff ends up looking almost like powder coating. Just a thought.

Proceed!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rear End

My Moser 8.8 solid axle came in before my actual kit. I unboxed it and put it on jack stands and that is where it sat until now. I really wanted to get it bolted to the frame since I have banged my shins on it more than twice. I got the NON synthetic gear oil and friction modifier they recommend and filled it up with the recommended amount.

Then I got it bolted back together with the RTV gasket and torqued down. Thankfully I then left for a few hours instead of bolting it on immediately. I came back to find this.

A leak. Talked to some other guys on the forum and on FB and the consensus was a bad front seal. It has apparently happened enough that it came up again and again. Some said it might just need to be spun daily and see, but that did not work. I called Moser and got the part number. It's a Ratech part number 6105. I have ordered it from Summit and just waiting for it to come it. While I was on the site I went ahead and ordered the cast diff cover. The cover that comes with the axle is just ugly to me. It looks cheap. I have also read that it holds heat more than the cast cover. Now I go back to drilling panels and wait on these parts. I'm not too upset though as I will get practice changing the gear oil and removing the cover again. All good things in the end.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to be a problem at Moser...
    "Stillwater" and I have become FFR buddies, I've been to his place, he to mine (he shlepped about 20 of my boxes on delivery day).

Moser Pinion Seal Leak

You may want to reach out & PM him about it...
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    My pinion seal leaked to, I know how you feel. Mine was from a different vendor. Its not fun replacing that $5 part plus the fluid. When finding out how to do it you'll get the importance of the flange yoke nut torque and crush sleeve thickness, etc. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good so far. I'll be following your progress. I'm a novice too and will be starting my build in December.

8. Thanks doddmoore thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    My pinion seal leaked to, I know how you feel. Mine was from a different vendor. Its not fun replacing that $5 part plus the fluid. When finding out how to do it you'll get the importance of the flange yoke nut torque and crush sleeve thickness, etc. Good luck!
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated. The guy at Moser gave me some tips, but he talked like I knew what I was doing. That means I didn’t catch most of it.
    MK IV Complete kit, SB Ford 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 500, Moser 8.8 Solid axle, Wilwoods, Power Steering

Post Thanks / Like
    You are navigating waters that I have never been in. Did you ever get your leak fixed? Sorry I have nothing to add to this part of the discussion!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 1/22/2021

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Finally an update!

It has been a few weeks. Being a baker who owns two bakeries during the holiday season means NO free time. Couple that with a trip to Austin for one of the best F1 races I've seen in a while and I just have not been able to get back to the car. That all ended today and yesterday though. Hopefully that bodes well for the future. First I got my pinion seal changed out on my Diff only to find out that wasn't the leak. There is a fill hole on the side of the diff that was not screwed in all the way when they powder coated it. The small tiny leak was coming from there.

This is the culprit right here. But on a brighter note I now know what it is like to change a pinion seal. I love the learning.
    While I was buying a $6 part I figured I might as well throw in a $150 part, you know. Kevin (Jazzman) says I've got the bug, and I have to say he is probably right. I hated the chrome cover that came with the Moser rear end, I just thought it looked so cheap. Once I read on the forum that it can hold heat that was all I needed to take the plunge. So I changed that out as well.
    The new diff cover came with a gasket that didn't fit. I asked online and all the guys said just use RTV so that is what I did.

From this to...

A huge improvement!
    Now that I had the diff leak figured out and handled I started the process of drilling the panels since I had put that off so long. After all of what I thought was my careful marking and labeling and photographing, I STILL missed a piece! On the inside of the Driver's Side footbox, there are TWO small aluminum angles, not one. I totally missed one and when I unscrewed the tapping screws and I heard it fall, then I had no idea where it went. It took more time and effort than I would like to mention to get it back together right. Here is what I am talking about

These are TWO separate pieces divided where the dotted line is. From further back in the DS box it looks like this

I started drilling and putting in clecos, I may have gotten carried away but I was having fun.

I hope to continue my run of actually working on the car sometime soon.

12. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Glad you got the leak worked out as well as some learning on the way! That’s why we all bought into FFR in the first place right? Looking good Bud!
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

14. Thanks doddmoore thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't beat yourself up too badly... I think it took me 4 or 5 attempts to get those two pieces right.

2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Don't beat yourself up too badly... I think it took me 4 or 5 attempts to get those two pieces right.
    I’m not telling how many attempts it took me. ��

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m not telling how many attempts it took me. ��
    Same here. Glad I'm not the only one...
    MKIV Roadster - #9380 - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18 - SOLD 5/2023
    Build Thread #1: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread
    MKIV Roadster - #TBD - Complete Kit - Delivered 11/6/23 - In Progress
    Build Thread #2: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...Build-Thread-2

Post Thanks / Like
    I started drilling and putting in clecos, I may have gotten carried away but I was having fun.
    I'll agree... It's kinda fun & weird seeing the car look like a porcupine having a bad hair day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rear End

A tiny bit of work done today. We are really gearing up for the holidays so I'm trying to squeeze in as much as I can.
    I went to install my rear brakes today, and looking at the instructions from Wilwood they are very specific that the U opening should point up and the mounting ears to the front. But doing that the holes did not line up. They are marked Left and Right so I double and triple checked that I wasn't putting them on the wrong side. Still nothing. I switched them to the opposite side and still nothing.

Finally I started hunting threads and found the Factory Five install guide which says the U opening should point DOWN. Presto chango and they line up perfectly.

I also started to install the rest but I have very little clearance at the back of my rotor to the caliper mounting bracket. Only about 1mm. Maybe since they all travel together that is enough but it just feels tight. I have used all the shims provided. I'm guessing I need more shims but wanted to reach out first before I do. I did install one of the calipers and it lines up well, but the clearance issue at the back still bothers me.

What say you?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not measure the clearance on mine, but did not have an issue. As long as the rotor is centered in the caliper it should be fine.

I also had to mount mine "backwards" from what the wilwood illustrations show. Function should be the same as long as you can get a good path for brake lines and handbrake cables. I havent reached that part, myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Need a clearance Clarence, and a vector Victor"... (sorry, just had to do it - you left the door wide open on that one)

Those parts are locked in place, no need for concern. If they start to rub down the road, you've got bigger problems.

22. Likes DanM, doddmoore, SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Power Steering

Got the power steering rack installed as well as the outer tie rod ends. I had been waiting to do that since my tie rod ends had not come in yet. Finally they came in with my radiator. ONLY thing I am lacking now is my steering wheel.
    So as I unpacked the steering rack and looked at a couple of threads, as well as watching build video from FFR they kept talking about the bushings and sleeves not being in, but mine did have them, they just didn't fit by QUITE a lot. I knew they weren't right so I searched on the forum and found THIS POST from Yama-Bro that cleared it right up. It was a bit fiddly but I got it installed. THEN I went to install my tie rod ends and found that NO amount of fiddling was going to get them to go in. They looked like this

I posted it online and, true to my noob status, was reminded that the ends move. DUH! I felt like the ignorant guy that I am, but with the guys help I got it installed, so no amount of ignorance is going to stop me apparently. AND now I have that knowledge. To be honest I really don't like the tie rod ends. The dust caps are pretty cheap and the piece itself seems kind of low quality. I may end up upgrading at some time. Next I installed the lower steering shaft and the flange and pillow bearings. All was well. I even was able to test the steering a little by moving the steering hub back and forth. What a great feeling.
    One last thing: I think I need more shims for my caliper bracket on my rear brakes. Even though the clearance is not an issue it doesn't line up in the middle of the caliper.

I don't have any more shims, but can I just use a washer that is the same size to get the correct spacing?

Real visual progress is amazing.

Next is the pedal box for me after getting all of this lined up. Thanks for all the help so far. And this is all the "easy stuff." Just IMAGINE all the questions I'm going to have when it gets more advanced!

24. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pedal Box

That's what I keep telling myself. I'm eating this elephant one bite at a time. Yesterday I got the pedal box started, installed the clutch quadrant, and temporarliy mounted the pedals. Mainly so I could mark the holes to drill for the support. An easy enough job. I can say that I missed something on my inventory. It's the nature of looking for a "clutch stop" when you have absolutely no idea what a clutch stop looks like. So I counted the pieces and thought I had them all, but alas. I emailed FF and they are sending it out of course. I can say they are so great with the support. So while I wait on the clutch stop I went ahead and mounted the pedal box and drilled the holes. The build is a lot of hurry up and wait, but that is fine. The end result will be driving my own Cobra, so it's worth it.
    One note about the clutch quadrant and support pieces. They are cut I guess by a laser and as Edward has pointed out they have SHARP edges and small burrs on each cut. I took the time to sand these down for my own safety as well as so they fit snugly against each other and the frame.

I am also taking this time to make templates of all of the aluminum pieces that will get Thermo tec. I'm using the brown heavy paper that came in all the boxes. This way I can cut the pieces to fit and get them installed when I get the aluminum painted and back in.

I'm also not using the carpet that came with the kit. I bought my own leather from leather hide store online

and carpet to do a beige interior like this (only I'm sure it won't be anywhere NEAR as nice)

I will use the templates for both the carpet and the insulation. Slow and steady, and loving every minute of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

E Brake

Today felt more productive that it actually was, but I'll take it. I started to install my E Brake. BE AWARE that the instructions for the E brake are a supplemental from the site, they are not in the manual. You can find them HERE. I knew I was going to do EdwardB's mod with the pulley because I don't like the look of the cables running under the frame. I have ordered two pulleys from McMaster. You can see that mod HERE. But I definitely need to look at my routing. You can see below that I have routed the cable to the rear, then across the shock body, then up. I added yellow where there would be zip ties. But using that route the cables are too long.

What would you suggest for better routing so the length is correct?
    Also, according to everyone else's threads there are supposed to be e clips where the cable feeds into the caliper, but mine did not come with them either. Seems to be a problem I have read more than once. I got 1/2" e clips from Home Depot and got them clipped on here:

Once I get the routing issue figured out I will dissassemble the handle and paint the bare metal to protect it, as other's have mentioned.
    Like I said it feels good to see stuff like that in action and to make these small strides, but the next step is usually to take it apart to do something else. In this case I will paint and reroute. Really not sure about the routing though. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for pointing out that we need additional instructions for the e-brake, Mitchell - i was glancing ahead in the manual and feeling like i was missing something! Now I know why.

28. Likes doddmoore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Forgot I didn't post a picture of the E clip installed. My one complaint, if I can have a complaint, about FFR, the kit, and the manual, is that they all make certain assumptions about the knowledge of the builders. That is probably for the best, as you probably shouldn't attempt this if you have as little working knowledge as I. But what about the hard heads like me who want to build it anyway? This little clip was not in my kit, and is not mentioned anywhere in the manual or supplemental, but it is still necessary. The way I look at it if it is necessary it should be mentioned. But that is just me.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My one complaint, if I can have a complaint, about FFR, the kit, and the manual, is that they all make certain assumptions about the knowledge of the builders. But what about the hard heads like me who want to build it anyway?
    Hard Heads Like You Usually Stuff A Chevy In It!

The fact is that We Are All Hard Heads and in the end our heads will be even harder.

You've Got This Brother & The F-5 Family Is Here To Cheer You On!

https://youtu.be/NhRHwAbtrt0
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 11-16-2018 at 10:08 PM.

31. Likes doddmoore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My one complaint, if I can have a complaint, about FFR, the kit, and the manual, is that they all make certain assumptions about the knowledge of the builders. That is probably for the best, as you probably shouldn't attempt this if you have as little working knowledge as I. But what about the hard heads like me who want to build it anyway? This little clip was not in my kit, and is not mentioned anywhere in the manual or supplemental, but it is still necessary. The way I look at it if it is necessary it should be mentioned. But that is just me.

You are correct in that FFR makes an assumption that a builder has some mechanical aptitude, and some experience working on automobiles.
    My line of thinking on this:
    Yes, it is a "kit".
    No, you cannot start at page 1 in the manual, part 00001, and attach part 00002 to part 00001, then 00003 to 00002, continue, and eventually have a perfectly running new car.
    However...
    If a potential builder must have their hammer labeled "Hold at this End", they should probably consider another project.
    If you can assemble IKEA furniture or a kid's presents on Dec 24th without parts left over, you could probably build one of these cars.

FFR has done a fabulous job of engineering a car that someone with (currently) limited aptitudes and minimal tools can assemble - especially if they have local help, or by using resources like this forum.

You have demonstrated the most important aspect of diving into this pool - the intelligence of knowing when to stop and ask a question before potentially making an expensive or life-threatening mistake.
    Exercise what my wife calls "Sitsin' & Thinkin". She catches me just staring motionless at something for a few minutes. "You Sitsin & Thinkin again?". I've got the gears turning in my head - thinking about how something works, how it's routed, what potentially could be in the way/foul it, etc.

Someone has probably done what you're stumped on before. That's why this forum is a fabulous resource. Help is just a click away.

33. Likes doddmoore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pedal Box

If you haven't noticed yet, my free time during the holidays is pretty much non existent. These are busy busy times for us at the bakeries, and pretty busy times for us at home as well. But in the midst of all of that I found a teensy amount of time to work on the car. I did receive my Lokar clevis and the pulley wheels to do edwardb's E Brake mod, but I haven't had time to do anything other than paint the bare metal and reinstall those parts. I'm hoping to get to the mod this week, but that may be a tall order. Here is the painted brake at least.

While I waited on my parts to come in for the E Brake mod I did get the "clutch stop" in from FF, and much to my surprise this is what they sent

Well I HAD all that, I just didn't know that was a "Clutch stop." I looked again at the manual and got nowhere, so I looked at the supplementals online and found it. I still don't think I would have known this is what they were talking about though even after reading the supplemental again. I have read the manual cover to cover AND read several build threads, a few more than once, but STILL I am surprised by things like this. So I got the clutch stop installed as per the supplemental and got the pedal box installed. I then installed the master cylinders.

It's funny. I have heard the term Brake Balance all my life, and I could even understand the concept, but nothing beats actually seeing that brake balance bar and making adjustments yourself. Now I get it. Totally makes sense.

One thing that I don't have pictures of but wanted to mention is the flange bearing. My pedal box mount rests just on top of the flange bearing. This prevents the pedal box mount from being completely flush with the front of the DS pedal box. I guess that part is considered the DS firewall? I will get pictures and update. But from what I see I am either going to have to cut a small notch in the pedal box mount or I'm going to have to trim the top of the interior part of the flange bearing. Are there other solutions? Have I installed something wrong? I'll update with pictures tomorrow if I'm not explaining it well.
    I'm aiming for at least 4 uninterrupted hours a week until after Christmas. If I can manage that it will be impressive even to me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Forgot I didn't post a picture of the E clip installed. My one complaint, if I can have a complaint, about FFR, the kit, and the manual, is that they all make certain assumptions about the knowledge of the builders. That is probably for the best, as you probably shouldn't attempt this if you have as little working knowledge as I.
    Thanks for posting this. I realized my kit didn't come with the E clips either and i haven't installed them. I remember when I installed the e brake cables they popped in and felt pretty secure. I hadn't given it another thought until I read your post. I'll be off the to hardware store soon!

Mark
    MK4 #9130 , complete kit, arrived 8/10/2017, Street Legal 2/14/2020.
    DART SHP 347, EFI, TKO600, IRS
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...n-Build-Thread

36. Likes doddmoore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Per my manual, I think the steering flange bearing should be mounted on the outside of the box. I installed mine on the inside to get a bit of room to remove / reinstall the steering shaft, and had to grind the top of the flange to fit. Yes, it does not fit on the inside and needs to be modified.

Here's a pic of the original against the modified...

---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I struggled with the steering flange as well. Even tried moving to the inside of the foot box, but found the interference problems you describe. In the end I found the one and only orientation of the steering shaft that allowed assembly. For me the shaft end towards the steering wheel had to be positioned in toward the engine and slightly up. Of course to do that the pedal box needs to be removed or at least loosened. Then the shaft needs to be rotated until enough clearance appears to couple the spline. Frustrating at first but once assembled the design is impressive.
    Mk4, IRS, (Forte: 427 with EFI, T-56 MAG, hydraulic clutch, mechanical linkage, reverse lockout control module) (Breeze: Front and Rear Double adjustable QA1's, Cockpit cubby, LED Lights, Fan Shroud, Fan Lower Support, Oil Cooler Coil, power steering hose kit) (Russ: Drop Trunk, Turn Signal)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Per my manual, I think the steering flange bearing should be mounted on the outside of the box. I installed mine on the inside to get a bit of room to remove / reinstall the steering shaft, and had to grind the top of the flange to fit. Yes, it does not fit on the inside and needs to be modified.

Here's a pic of the original against the modified...

Yes that looks like the exact cut I may have to make. I’m going to dive into your thread tomorrow. One of the thousands I have missed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by miller7448 View Post
    I struggled with the steering flange as well. Even tried moving to the inside of the foot box, but found the interference problems you describe. In the end I found the one and only orientation of the steering shaft that allowed assembly. For me the shaft end towards the steering wheel had to be positioned in toward the engine and slightly up. Of course to do that the pedal box needs to be removed or at least loosened. Then the shaft needs to be rotated until enough clearance appears to couple the spline. Frustrating at first but once assembled the design is impressive.
    Let me look through your posts. Having a hard time wrapping my mind around it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes that looks like the exact cut I may have to make. I’m going to dive into your thread tomorrow. One of the thousands I have missed.
    The build has been stalled lately, waiting for the body to be done at Whitby's. They said 6-9 months, now up to 10 and no word... [sigh]... another builder said his took 16 months.

Also, even after moving the bearing to the inside, I still had to loosen the rack to get the steering shaft apart for best spline alignment. So inside or outside doesnt really matter except this fit detail.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    The flange bearing mounts to the outside (engine bay side) of the footbox front wall and for clarification does not sandwich it; i.e. both retainer halves are on the same side of the wall. The collar with the setscrews faces rearward.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    The flange bearing mounts to the outside (engine bay side) of the footbox front wall and for clarification does not sandwich it; i.e. both retainer halves are on the same side of the wall. The collar with the setscrews faces rearward.

Jeff
    Mind. Blown. THANK YOU!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dealing with the doldrums here in Jackson. Not that I don't have plenty to do, but as you can tell from my LACK of updating I have not been able to touch the kit in about three months. I own a couple of bakeries and the Holidays were really good and really busy. On top of that we are opening a new restaurant in the fall and have been in planning stages for that for some months. It seems like each time I think I have a day that day gets filled up quick, and it's off to work we go again. I knew this was going to be a long process for me and I have really missed dealing with the kit AND visiting the forum regularly to see what other's are doing and going through. But I am alive and doing well. Really well, a little TOO well on the business end, but that is a good problem to have. Life has other plans always and I am along for the ride. In a few years I will be along for the ride in the Cobra, but it is going to be a few years I feel sure.

45. Likes FF33rod liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you have time, you have no money. If you have money, you have no time! That seems to be the case for me at some point during my projects, enjoy being healthy and living life. You'll get it done!
    Higgy
    New MK4 kit picked up 4/10/23!!!
    SOLD
    MK4 #9759 picked up on 4/3/19
    351C, 3 link, 17's, dual roll bars

47. Thanks doddmoore thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm back in the saddle again...

My Father-in-law Papa J came in to town and had a LIST of things he wanted to help accomplish on the kit, and so we did! I took off three full days to spend time with him on the car, even had a friend come over. We started by working on the brake reservoir. For those who have the new reservoir like I do the manual doesn't match up. It says there is an L bracket that you use to attach the brake reservoir but it now has another type of bracket.

Once we got that figured out we started lining it up. It needed to be low enough that I could open it once the body was on (thanks to the MANY build threads that have pointed this out) But high enough that I didn't have to drill through the pedal box attachment plate. We ended up getting it installed in what we think will be the best place and angled the 90º barb on the bottom ever so slightly since the hose that will attach to it is just a hose and we will not need it to go straight through the driver's foot box. It's slight but helpful.

From the back.

Papa J and I also decided for a little fun and a boost we should install the steering wheel and set the seats in. That was a good moment.

Speaking of seats, my leather is in (which I think I have mentioned in a previous post but I could be wrong) and we have it stretched over the body to relax before sending the seats and leather off to the upholsterers.

That is it for today but I am SO happy to be back at it. What I thought was going to take many years may only take a few years! Ha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brake reservoir mounting.

Here is what we ended up with today. I would like you all to critique my plumbing set up. I guess it looks fine and my father in law was ok with it, but I wanted to double check.

We do have it clipped to stay out of the way of the movement below, and the length of the tubing is so it helps to keep it high. I guess when I finish out the foot box it will rest against the inside facing the engine bay. Just not sure if I should trim it up a little or if it is fine. Also some of the hose clamps say 12 and some say 14 so my questions are:
    1. What is the difference and
    2. which should I use on this tubing?

We also went ahead and started putting the flex lines on my Wilwood brakes and immediately came into some trouble. The part that screws into the caliper (not sure what that is called, but the flex line attaches to it) seemed like it was bottoming out WAY before it should. Looking through a few threads (thanks AGAIN to edwardb) we see that it is just how they are but he suggested using thread sealant on it. I'll get that tomorrow and we should be good to go. THEN we finally being bending brake lines. I think we are going to use what came with the kit as practice tubing, not expecting it to look very good that first time, then be prepared to get more if needed so we can make it look good and not kink. We are pretty much expecting it to kink on us at some point.

Here is my brake line mounting bracket attached to my F panel, not for any reason other than I took the picture. It looks from this angle as if it is resting on the bolt on the end of the Upper control arm, but it isn't touching. Just looks that way.

It really feels like progress even though it's still years away, but I am happy with what we are accomplishing. Brake lines then fuel tank then fuel lines. Then and then and then and then and then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What is this insert called? ALSO, when it is in all the way is there a direction that it should point? ALSO I am supposed to use thread sealant on this, but what about the other connections with the brake system? ALSO how do I know when it is in all the way? Today it just felt like it bottomed out at some point and we guessed that was it, but we took it back out anyway to get feedback.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just a close up of my leather so you can see the grain. Someone asked on instagram or facebook or something, so here it is as well.

Post Thanks / Like

What is this insert called? ALSO, when it is in all the way is there a direction that it should point? ALSO I am supposed to use thread sealant on this, but what about the other connections with the brake system? ALSO how do I know when it is in all the way? Today it just felt like it bottomed out at some point and we guessed that was it, but we took it back out anyway to get feedback.
    That is pipe thread going from the fitting into the caliper and should get teflon pipe sealant. The washer you have shown does not go there. FYI regarding pipe thread (NPT); if you look closely you'll notice that there is a slight taper to the outside diameter of the threaded end of the fitting. The male portion is narrower at the beginning and the female portion is wider at the beginning. As they are turned together this interference fit between the male and female threads becomes greater and creates the seal. So...what you and your father in law felt was not the fitting bottoming out but rather what pipe threads are designed to do---tighten against themselves. The teflon paste serves as both a sealant and lubricant.

Hope that helps and it's good to see you back at it!

Jeff

53. Thanks doddmoore thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast