Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Russ thompson wiring made simple hopefully..

Post Thanks / Like

Russ thompson wiring made simple hopefully..

I'll preface my question with the statement that electrons make me nervous. Wiring is the most sketch part of the build for me.
    I have the Russ Thompson turn signal set up and want to get it wired up to use the turn signal and the stalk button to switch on/off the high beams and no "flash to pass" feature. I've stared and the various diagrams I have run accross and collected and it still makes me anxious. Does anyone have a simplified description, diagram or pictures that can help me get this connected? Also, from my understanding I think I only need one relay (the VW one?) for the high beams and maybe a diode?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the RT turn signal on my roadster build too. Although I'm still in the build process (first start soon) I found the wiring harness straight forward and nothing too challenging. With the turn signal you will need two diodes. Russ's diagram with the turn signal calls them out. Without them you will back feed to all the turn signals and have a four way flash! (Ask me how I know) I didn't use the stalk button for my high beam switch but you will need a relay as Russ calls out. I threw out the FFR supplied switch just used a classic looking toggle switch from Del city mounted to my dash for high beams. I found it also very helpful to have a small 12 VDC power supply to bench test the dash as I went along. Build a little, test a little. Just take your time and reference the schematics and wiring diagrams as you go and you'll be fine.

Cheers!
    Mk IV Roadster #9749, Kit received Jan 2, 2020, Blueprint SBF 347 TKO600 Holley Sniper EFI, Dual roll bars, IRS, 17" Halibrand, Nitto 555 G2 245, 315 Road legal Oct 20, 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure how helpful this will be. But ran across this item the other day. If I were wiring today something I would look at. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/idt-3100006040. Appears to be a pre-made version of what the various diagrams that Russ includes show. Tried to find instructions or a schematic, but wasn't able to. But I'm betting it would be an easy add. I've been using a somewhat similar all electronic version of the same thing from American Autowire. But unfortunately they discontinued it.

Important to keep in mind that the RF turn signal assembly is just two switches: (1) A turn signal switch that replaces the dash mounted switch that Factory Five supplies and gives you a stalk mounted lever with self cancelling. That's it. Electrically it's exactly the same as the dash mounted switch shown in the Ron Francis instructions. If you wire it exactly like they show with two indicator lights, diodes shouldn't be needed. If you don't, can backfeed through the indicator lights or the hazard switch. It's really important to wire the hazards exactly as shown including the double pole switch. That's probably the most common place people get back feeding. (2) A momentary switch that can be used for whatever you want. Many use it for the horn. It directly replaces the horn switch on the dash and doesn't require anything else since the Ron Francis panel already has a relay on the horn circuit. If you want to use it for headlight high/low beam instead of a manual switch, that's where added wiring including relays is required.
    Last edited by edwardb; 04-04-2020 at 03:56 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster w/ Coyote - #9365 - Build Thread Delivery 7/3/18, 1st Start 1/4/19, 1st Road Mile 5/5/19, Legal 6/18/19, In Paint 2/25/21, Done (?) 4/2021

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the attached wiring diagram. NOTE: If you have the vintage gauges with the built in turn signal indicators (2) and high beam lights built into the speedo, and a single throw/double pole switch for the dash mounted hazard switch (supplied with the kit), you only need one diode between the two relays. This did give me the dimmer/flash high beams option with the push button.

EDITED: If you dash mount TWO indicator lights, only one diode is needed (between the relays). If you use one indicator light, as per the diagram, use two more diodes as shown.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ducky2009; 04-08-2020 at 04:27 PM.
    MK4 Build #9035 Delivered 2/17/17, First Start & Go-Kart 6/2/17, Licensed 9/1/17
    Paint - Lightning Blue Metallic, No Hood Scoop, No Stripes
    Gen 2 Coyote Engine & TKO-600. Solid Axle, 8.8-3.55, Power Steering, Power Brakes, Dual Roll Bars
    Heater and Glove Box, Drop Trunk, Wipers, Radio, FFR Vintage Gauges, Custom Dash
    Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...MK4-Build-9035

Post Thanks / Like
    Reach out to Greg Allan on Factory Five Builder Facebook page! He has the perfect solution for this!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ffrb...epa=SEARCH_BOX

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I just finished doing a complete rewire of my car with the Ron Francis wiring harness and Russ's turn light.
    I got the IDIDIT system and I also got the Ron Francis RP-3 assembly to compare them. Both do the basic high beam/low beam switch with Russ's button on the turn light. But the IDIDIT adds an additional power circuit to allow for flash to pass. I never use flash to pass without having my headlights on so it was never an issue to not have it. IDIDIT allows you to, without having your headlights on you can flash your headlights.
    I chose to run the Ron Francis RP-3 as it was a very simple plug in. Both these systems allow you to not have to use the multi relays especially the VW latching relay. I use to carry a spare one with me as it would fail frequently. Then I also switched to all LED's from headlights, indicator lights and tail lights. With the dual right and left turn lights it also was a just plug in the indicator lights. I used Alpinetech LED lights for high beam, battery and turn lights. Put a dpdt rocker switch under the dash for the 4-ways. This really simplified the wiring.
    Ralph Button
    FFR 1436 (PROUD Owner of an Original Mark I)
    400,013 miles as of 11/1/2009
    417,840 miles as of 8/12/2010
    435,021 miles as of 12/19/2011
    Now a well broken in 347 engine
    523,145 miles as of 7/29/2014
    601,165 miles as of 6/1/2018
    615,215 miles as of 4/23/2022

"It's not about the destination, it's the about the journey. And where is your journey taking you?"

"... Not all who wander are lost!... --J.R.R. Tolkien

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Brimhall View Post
    I'll preface my question with the statement that electrons make me nervous. Wiring is the most sketch part of the build for me.
    I have the Russ Thompson turn signal set up and want to get it wired up to use the turn signal and the stalk button to switch on/off the high beams and no "flash to pass" feature. I've stared and the various diagrams I have run accross and collected and it still makes me anxious. Does anyone have a simplified description, diagram or pictures that can help me get this connected? Also, from my understanding I think I only need one relay (the VW one?) for the high beams and maybe a diode?
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I DIDIT makes a module for this .

Ididit Headlight Dimmer Switch Kits 3100030140

Available at Summit. Not cheap, but it works. Super easy to wire.
    FFinisher/AKA RE63