Miller Customs

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  17
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: TONKS 347 the Baker's Build

Not a waxer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just a note for others---the F panels can be installed after the front suspension with the only caveat being that you need to take into account gun access when determining rivet placement.

Looking good Mitchell!

Jeff

2. Likes doddmoore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doddmoore View Post
    I don't. I'm going with powder coat that is really close to the paint I used. I've seen it in the guy's shop and it looks great. I'm going to mask my frame up and gloss the F panel with several coats of automotive enamel. It won't match but it will be super close.
    Good. You have a plan. I will look forward to seeing your powder coat color. Your chosen color looks great! Does POR15 make anything close to the right color. This stuff ends up looking almost like powder coating. Just a thought.

Proceed!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 10/14/2018

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rear End

My Moser 8.8 solid axle came in before my actual kit. I unboxed it and put it on jack stands and that is where it sat until now. I really wanted to get it bolted to the frame since I have banged my shins on it more than twice. I got the NON synthetic gear oil and friction modifier they recommend and filled it up with the recommended amount.

Then I got it bolted back together with the RTV gasket and torqued down. Thankfully I then left for a few hours instead of bolting it on immediately. I came back to find this.

A leak. Talked to some other guys on the forum and on FB and the consensus was a bad front seal. It has apparently happened enough that it came up again and again. Some said it might just need to be spun daily and see, but that did not work. I called Moser and got the part number. It's a Ratech part number 6105. I have ordered it from Summit and just waiting for it to come it. While I was on the site I went ahead and ordered the cast diff cover. The cover that comes with the axle is just ugly to me. It looks cheap. I have also read that it holds heat more than the cast cover. Now I go back to drilling panels and wait on these parts. I'm not too upset though as I will get practice changing the gear oil and removing the cover again. All good things in the end.
    "Doddmoore," Mitchell Moore on facebook, Follow Tonks347Cobra on Instagram
    MK IV Complete kit, Blueprint 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, Wilwoods, Power Steering, RT turn signals, FFR soft top
    My Build Thread: Tonks347, The Baker's Build
    Slow and steady wins the race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to be a problem at Moser...
    "Stillwater" and I have become FFR buddies, I've been to his place, he to mine (he shlepped about 20 of my boxes on delivery day).

Moser Pinion Seal Leak

You may want to reach out & PM him about it...
    John D. - Minneapolis 'Burbs

1965 El Camino - LT-1, 4L60e, 4wh discs, SC&C susp.
    2013 F-150 Platinum - Twin Turbo 3.5
    2018 Mk4 Roadster - #9365 Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    My pinion seal leaked to, I know how you feel. Mine was from a different vendor. Its not fun replacing that $5 part plus the fluid. When finding out how to do it you'll get the importance of the flange yoke nut torque and crush sleeve thickness, etc. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good so far. I'll be following your progress. I'm a novice too and will be starting my build in December.

8. Thanks doddmoore thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidW View Post
    My pinion seal leaked to, I know how you feel. Mine was from a different vendor. Its not fun replacing that $5 part plus the fluid. When finding out how to do it you'll get the importance of the flange yoke nut torque and crush sleeve thickness, etc. Good luck!
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated. The guy at Moser gave me some tips, but he talked like I knew what I was doing. That means I didn’t catch most of it.
    MK IV Complete kit, Blueprint 347, Holley Sniper EFI, TKO 600, Wilwoods, Power Steering, RT turn signals, FFR soft top

Post Thanks / Like
    You are navigating waters that I have never been in. Did you ever get your leak fixed? Sorry I have nothing to add to this part of the discussion!!
    Jazzman

MKIV #8745 "Flip Top" Roadster, Custom Tilt front, Coyote Engine, Tremec TKO600, Custom Interior. Best of Show winner, Huntington Beach Cruise In 2018.

1967 Ford Mustang Coupe build thread updated 10/14/2018

Roadster Frame Dolly Plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Finally an update!

It has been a few weeks. Being a baker who owns two bakeries during the holiday season means NO free time. Couple that with a trip to Austin for one of the best F1 races I've seen in a while and I just have not been able to get back to the car. That all ended today and yesterday though. Hopefully that bodes well for the future. First I got my pinion seal changed out on my Diff only to find out that wasn't the leak. There is a fill hole on the side of the diff that was not screwed in all the way when they powder coated it. The small tiny leak was coming from there.

This is the culprit right here. But on a brighter note I now know what it is like to change a pinion seal. I love the learning.
    While I was buying a $6 part I figured I might as well throw in a $150 part, you know. Kevin (Jazzman) says I've got the bug, and I have to say he is probably right. I hated the chrome cover that came with the Moser rear end, I just thought it looked so cheap. Once I read on the forum that it can hold heat that was all I needed to take the plunge. So I changed that out as well.
    The new diff cover came with a gasket that didn't fit. I asked online and all the guys said just use RTV so that is what I did.

From this to...

A huge improvement!
    Now that I had the diff leak figured out and handled I started the process of drilling the panels since I had put that off so long. After all of what I thought was my careful marking and labeling and photographing, I STILL missed a piece! On the inside of the Driver's Side footbox, there are TWO small aluminum angles, not one. I totally missed one and when I unscrewed the tapping screws and I heard it fall, then I had no idea where it went. It took more time and effort than I would like to mention to get it back together right. Here is what I am talking about

These are TWO separate pieces divided where the dotted line is. From further back in the DS box it looks like this

I started drilling and putting in clecos, I may have gotten carried away but I was having fun.

I hope to continue my run of actually working on the car sometime soon.

12. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Glad you got the leak worked out as well as some learning on the way! Thatís why we all bought into FFR in the first place right? Looking good Bud!
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread

14. Thanks doddmoore thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't beat yourself up too badly... I think it took me 4 or 5 attempts to get those two pieces right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixit View Post
    Don't beat yourself up too badly... I think it took me 4 or 5 attempts to get those two pieces right.
    I’m not telling how many attempts it took me. ��

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doddmoore View Post
    I’m not telling how many attempts it took me. ��
    Same here. Glad I'm not the only one...
    MKIV Roadster - Complete Kit - Delivered 7/17/18
    Build Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...V-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I started drilling and putting in clecos, I may have gotten carried away but I was having fun.
    I'll agree... It's kinda fun & weird seeing the car look like a porcupine having a bad hair day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Rear End

A tiny bit of work done today. We are really gearing up for the holidays so I'm trying to squeeze in as much as I can.
    I went to install my rear brakes today, and looking at the instructions from Wilwood they are very specific that the U opening should point up and the mounting ears to the front. But doing that the holes did not line up. They are marked Left and Right so I double and triple checked that I wasn't putting them on the wrong side. Still nothing. I switched them to the opposite side and still nothing.

Finally I started hunting threads and found the Factory Five install guide which says the U opening should point DOWN. Presto chango and they line up perfectly.

I also started to install the rest but I have very little clearance at the back of my rotor to the caliper mounting bracket. Only about 1mm. Maybe since they all travel together that is enough but it just feels tight. I have used all the shims provided. I'm guessing I need more shims but wanted to reach out first before I do. I did install one of the calipers and it lines up well, but the clearance issue at the back still bothers me.

What say you?

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not measure the clearance on mine, but did not have an issue. As long as the rotor is centered in the caliper it should be fine.

I also had to mount mine "backwards" from what the wilwood illustrations show. Function should be the same as long as you can get a good path for brake lines and handbrake cables. I havent reached that part, myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    "Need a clearance Clarence, and a vector Victor"... (sorry, just had to do it - you left the door wide open on that one)

Those parts are locked in place, no need for concern. If they start to rub down the road, you've got bigger problems.

22. Likes DanM, doddmoore, SSNK4US liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Power Steering

Got the power steering rack installed as well as the outer tie rod ends. I had been waiting to do that since my tie rod ends had not come in yet. Finally they came in with my radiator. ONLY thing I am lacking now is my steering wheel.
    So as I unpacked the steering rack and looked at a couple of threads, as well as watching build video from FFR they kept talking about the bushings and sleeves not being in, but mine did have them, they just didn't fit by QUITE a lot. I knew they weren't right so I searched on the forum and found THIS POST from Yama-Bro that cleared it right up. It was a bit fiddly but I got it installed. THEN I went to install my tie rod ends and found that NO amount of fiddling was going to get them to go in. They looked like this

I posted it online and, true to my noob status, was reminded that the ends move. DUH! I felt like the ignorant guy that I am, but with the guys help I got it installed, so no amount of ignorance is going to stop me apparently. AND now I have that knowledge. To be honest I really don't like the tie rod ends. The dust caps are pretty cheap and the piece itself seems kind of low quality. I may end up upgrading at some time. Next I installed the lower steering shaft and the flange and pillow bearings. All was well. I even was able to test the steering a little by moving the steering hub back and forth. What a great feeling.
    One last thing: I think I need more shims for my caliper bracket on my rear brakes. Even though the clearance is not an issue it doesn't line up in the middle of the caliper.

I don't have any more shims, but can I just use a washer that is the same size to get the correct spacing?

Real visual progress is amazing.

Next is the pedal box for me after getting all of this lined up. Thanks for all the help so far. And this is all the "easy stuff." Just IMAGINE all the questions I'm going to have when it gets more advanced!

24. Likes PeteMeindl liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Pedal Box

That's what I keep telling myself. I'm eating this elephant one bite at a time. Yesterday I got the pedal box started, installed the clutch quadrant, and temporarliy mounted the pedals. Mainly so I could mark the holes to drill for the support. An easy enough job. I can say that I missed something on my inventory. It's the nature of looking for a "clutch stop" when you have absolutely no idea what a clutch stop looks like. So I counted the pieces and thought I had them all, but alas. I emailed FF and they are sending it out of course. I can say they are so great with the support. So while I wait on the clutch stop I went ahead and mounted the pedal box and drilled the holes. The build is a lot of hurry up and wait, but that is fine. The end result will be driving my own Cobra, so it's worth it.
    One note about the clutch quadrant and support pieces. They are cut I guess by a laser and as Edward has pointed out they have SHARP edges and small burrs on each cut. I took the time to sand these down for my own safety as well as so they fit snugly against each other and the frame.

I am also taking this time to make templates of all of the aluminum pieces that will get Thermo tec. I'm using the brown heavy paper that came in all the boxes. This way I can cut the pieces to fit and get them installed when I get the aluminum painted and back in.

I'm also not using the carpet that came with the kit. I bought my own leather from leather hide store online

and carpet to do a beige interior like this (only I'm sure it won't be anywhere NEAR as nice)

I will use the templates for both the carpet and the insulation. Slow and steady, and loving every minute of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

E Brake

Today felt more productive that it actually was, but I'll take it. I started to install my E Brake. BE AWARE that the instructions for the E brake are a supplemental from the site, they are not in the manual. You can find them HERE. I knew I was going to do EdwardB's mod with the pulley because I don't like the look of the cables running under the frame. I have ordered two pulleys from McMaster. You can see that mod HERE. But I definitely need to look at my routing. You can see below that I have routed the cable to the rear, then across the shock body, then up. I added yellow where there would be zip ties. But using that route the cables are too long.

What would you suggest for better routing so the length is correct?
    Also, according to everyone else's threads there are supposed to be e clips where the cable feeds into the caliper, but mine did not come with them either. Seems to be a problem I have read more than once. I got 1/2" e clips from Home Depot and got them clipped on here:

Once I get the routing issue figured out I will dissassemble the handle and paint the bare metal to protect it, as other's have mentioned.
    Like I said it feels good to see stuff like that in action and to make these small strides, but the next step is usually to take it apart to do something else. In this case I will paint and reroute. Really not sure about the routing though. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123