Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FFR GPS Speedometer Issue (Ideas? anyone)

Post Thanks / Like

FFR GPS Speedometer Issue (Ideas? anyone)

I have the FFR GPS gauges installed in my MK4 and for some reason the speedometer is not right.
    I have installed a watchdaug electronic ignition with the Gen 2 Coyote engine.

Going to start the engine:
    activate key fob ignition button turns red and speedometer says acquiring signal and all gauges activated fine.

Depress clutch and push start button and engine starts fine all gauges fine EXCEPT the speedometer goes "goofy" (loses signal and needle goes around to 180 and no readout.

Here's the kicker: When I pull the headlight switch out the speedometer goes back to normal and indicates proper info.

All gauges are fine and responsive while engine running. Speedometer works fine while go-carting. BUT if I push the light switch in to the off position The speedometer returns to "GOOFY NO SIGNAL" tech term haha.

Checked the wiring and everything is correct according to wiring instructions.

I'm going to call FFR today and see if they have a spare GPS Speedometer laying around they could send me for testing purposes.

I'm stumped!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Will the speedo get a gps signal before you start the car?

Check the voltage at the speedo during off key on start and run with lights off and on.

My initial guess is the speedo is ok.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    try relocating the antenna. Could also be a ground issue that is somehow backfeeding through the head light switch which is controlling the gauge lights.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like dirty voltage, after you start the engine. I don't know what that means either. Speed Hut will be the ones to call, or wire the speed'o hot at all times. I think the voltage drain is minute.
    If you can get to everything to check, put a volt meter on the feed wire to the speedo, turn the key, check, start the engine, check, turn the headlights on, check. You might see a different reading at one position. I have read, some of the FFR key switches come with built in glitches. Maybe you can move the key a little after starting. Good luck,
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    I assume "watchdaug electronic ignition" means Digital Guard Dog keyless ignition switch? If so, replaces the FF supplied ignition switch? Sounds like it but just confirming. I have one as well. While my build isn't complete yet I've played with it enough to know how it works. Exactly duplicates the ignition switch. Assuming as always it's wired correctly.

The gauges are wired to the accessory circuit in the RF panel. So it's normal that they're powered up in the ACC or RUN position. But they will be switched off in the START position. So it's not unexpected your GPS speedo (and all the other gauges) lose power while the engine is being cranked. That's how it's supposed to work. But all should receive voltage again after the engine starts and you're in RUN mode. My Roadster with the same GPS speedo and a stock FF ignition key does the same thing. But it starts acquiring again as soon as the engine is running. All happens so quickly you have to watch to even see it. Especially with the Coyote which typically starts very quickly.

Something sounds wonky with your wiring though. To be honest, doesn't exactly make sense that your speedo is acting differently than all your other gauges, because the wiring is mostly shared with all through the Speedhut provided daisy chains. Just to confirm:

- Red, black, white snap connector. For all gauges. At the end of the daisy chain, Red to RF brown gauge feed, black to RF ground, white to RF dash light circuit for needles.

- Black and black w/grey tracers snap connector. Also for all gauges. Connects through the provided inverter at the end of the daisy chain, with back to RF ground and white to RF dash light circuit. Provides backlight dimming.

- There's a red w/black tracer that's intended for always on +12V as Railroad mentioned. Allows it to acquire more quickly at startup. But the gauge will work OK without it. Not sure what would happen if it were wired to the wrong thing though.

- If you have a later version of the speedo, there's also a group of wires for indicator lights. But the gauge should work OK without them, and I'm not aware they interact with the gauge operation itself. Shouldn't matter.

- The only other connections are the calibration/reset button and the GPS antenna. The antenna needs to be connected. But even if it weren't, should affect power. Just wouldn't acquire.

Check to make sure you have each of the wires as indicated. Pulling the headlight switch should light the backlighting and needles for all. Nothing more. Doesn't make sense to me that the headlight switch would only affect the speedo. Again, assuming it's wired properly. I also kind of doubt it's the speedo itself, but who knows. I doubt FF has any extras or would send one for troubleshooting. Customer service would be handled by Speedhut directly, and they're very good about it. Your first call, assuming all is wired correctly, IMO would be to call them.
    Last edited by edwardb; 08-08-2018 at 08:33 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was over at Ron's last night trouble shooting this with him. It really is an odd situation. As Edward said above the gauges are all wired together. on the small red/white/black pigtail it jumpers to all of the gauges. They are connect properly to the Brown gauge feed, Black ground, and white lighting feed from the Ron Francis. Red w/black strip is connected to the clock/speed red feed wire. The inverter is hooked up and works as it should and dims all gauges. The turn signals and high beams all work.

My thought was it had something to do with the tach wire. It really is the only difference between working while the engine is off and then not working while the engine is on. every thing else is the same.

Then the craziness happens when you pull the head light switch gauge starts working again.

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stack View Post
    My thought was it had something to do with the tach wire. It really is the only difference between working while the engine is off and then not working while the engine is on. every thing else is the same.

Then the craziness happens when you pull the head light switch gauge starts working again.

stack
    Doesn't make sense to me that the tach wire would have any interaction to the GPS speedo.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Digital Guard Daug" is the electronic ignition system I have installed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for your input. I will run the tests again to make sure connections are correct.

FF said the same thing about running the tests again to ensure proper connections.

Then if not resolved call SpeedHut directly for further assistance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to reduce possibilitys, can you pull to power wire and tie it directly to a 12v source, and do the same for the ground (i would do one at a time) move the ground to a different location.

After checking the above, calling Speedhut would be next on my list.

Although, checking the voltage stated above should accomplish the same thing.

Check the resistance on the ground side of the circuit with an ohm meter
    Last edited by Just puttering; 08-08-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    Mk3.1 347 AFR 205cc Heads A9L EFI siemens deca 60lb injectors MSD 6AL ignition Vortech V-3 3 Link PS/PB

-- If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem ! —

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Just puttering View Post
    Just to reduce possibilitys, can you pull to power wire and tie it directly to a 12v source, and do the same for the ground (i would do one at a time) move the ground to a different location.

After checking the above, calling Speedhut would be next on my list.

Although, checking the voltage stated above should accomplish the same thing.

Check the resistance on the ground side of the circuit with an ohm meter

This is what we are planning next

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction