Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2007 WRX 5 speed, rebuilt, runs,drives, tagged, legally drive it home $6k 110k miles

Post Thanks / Like

2007 WRX 5 speed, rebuilt, runs,drives, tagged, legally drive it home $6k 110k miles

I bought this car a couple of years ago as a friend was considering doing an 818 build and I have a Copart account (I rebuild a lot of subarus but have learned to stay away from WRX). Friend has since decided to go electric, I decided to rebuild this car since it was a light hit, figured I'd sell it and "stage 3: profit".

Turns out it's ridiculously hard to sell a rebuilt title WRX, especially when you've only put 2000 miles on it. People who want it need to get loans. It's hard to get a loan on a rebuilt title car. People who have the money (and presumably have better sense) are suspicious of it thinking it's been ragged on or I'm selling it after only 2k miles because it has issues.

I've been pulled over 3 times in 2 years in this car and got the first speeding ticket I've had in 15 years. It's too much of a cop magnet. I don't wanna drive it and I have no shortage of other cars to drive, so I don't.

Full disclosure: I can only vouch for how it has been driven while I owned it. I'm 42 and drive a blue minivan as a daily. I normally work on and drive Outbacks. You can probably read between the lines.

Anyway on with the show.

Runs great. No check engine lights. SAI system has been deleted and codes disabled in tuning. Has aftermarket catted downpipe (can't see a brand on it) and STi intercooler. It'll spool to about 19lbs boost (diagnostic port data, it does not have a boost gauge). As stock is around 11 it's safe to assume that's been done in tuning as well. I have no idea whose tune it is, it was on the car when I got it and runs well with it so I haven't worried about it.

Car was hit down the right side when I bought it. Pic attached. I put on a front bumper, right fender, both right side doors, and upgraded it to STi forged aluminum lower control arms as I had a set laying around and it needed the right side anyway. Also needed a couple of wheels.

I should have gotten it rolling and stopped there. I bought an OEM bumper and fender, I had the doors. I had it painted (3 stage, not cheap). I did the timing belt, hoses, accessory belts, plugs, and coils. . .and replaced the sway bar end links and rebooted both front axles (inner joints only, outer boots rarely break). I changed the trans lube and engine oil and flushed/refilled the coolant with Subaru super blue. I hugged it and squeezed it and called it George. . but I get no love on craigslist except trade offers from people who drive late 90's Ford Explorers and Volkswagen passats. . . neither of which I'm a fan of.

No significant rust. I've had the front suspension apart on both sides without issue. Very small amount on the left fender where it appears some paint chipped off. I'm a southerner and curse loudly when having to work on northern cars. . .this is not one of them.

So if you want a donor vehicle here you go. $6k firm takes it. It's tagged, insured, and ready to jump in and drive anywhere (but the AC doesn't work so hopefully it's up north--but I'll charge up the AC for you free of charge. . don't expect it to stay charged more than about 3 months tho). I'll pick you up at TYS (or at a municipal airport near you in my own v-tail bonanza if you live within 400 nautical miles, provided you're not gonna barf on the way back) and you can drop me off in Lenoir City, hand me some cash and I'll send you off with the WRX, title in hand.

I will video a compression test for serious buyers if that sort of thing concerns you. $200 Refundable deposit via paypal required before I start jumping through hoops though. Prefer you inspect in person and be ready to complete the sale.

Goes without saying that I'm not interested in trades.

I'm a member of tons of other Subaru forums. . NASIOC, subaruforester.org, subaruoutback.org, legacyGT.com, same username as here on all of them if you want to check out my reputation there. I do buy and sell via forums somewhat regularly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    What part of the country are you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lockmedic View Post
    ... and you can drop me off in Lenoir City, hand me some cash and I'll send you off with the WRX, title in hand.
    I think he lives in Lenoir City, TN
    MK3.1 Roadster completed 2011
    818R built with EZ36R H6 completed 2018
    818R rebuild with a JDM Honda K24A

4. Thanks lockmedic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, that makes sense. He mentioned he's a Southerner and later looking at the pics the car has Tennessee plates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, Lenoir City, TN. Near Knoxville. Should have made that more explicit I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lockmedic View Post
    Yep, Lenoir City, TN. Near Knoxville. Should have made that more explicit I suppose.
    Is this still available or has it sold?