Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help..body resting on halo and unable to fit to door openings with out major flex

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Help..body resting on halo and unable to fit to door openings with out major flex

I have an issue with my Chassis Halo and body that I want to bring to attention. If you haven't noticed this then your good and I wish I had your chassis. I put my body on about a month ago and have been doing a mock-up of all of the louvers and accessories. I have the rear at the height specified in the manual and have it riveted with some angle iron that is riveted to the trans mount. The diffuser, hatch, hood and doors are installed.

The first step after putting the body on the chassis is to get the door opening tight and put a few rivets in. I noticed that I really had to push forward and flex the fg in order to get the body up to the door opening chassis tube. Next was the sill. This is where I noticed that I had a 1/2" gap between the passenger side door sill body and chassis tube (the expected gap was also in the striker area, but I know how to deal with that) and a 1/4" gap on the driver’s side.

The first issue is that the halo (where it has an angle in the rear) is one set of the resting points. This will not let the body move forward enough to let the door opening rest right against the chassis tube. It is possible to get the center of the opening against the tube, but this really flexes and stresses the fiberglass there.

The second issue (and the Major one) is the gap left in the bottom door sill caused by the roof resting on the halo. The passenger side has a 1/2" gap and the driver's side has a 1/4" gap. When you push down on the door sill the entire area of the body from the halo, back to the aft end of the hatch over the rear wheel down to the sill flexes. Adding rivets simply pulls down the inner portion of the sill and really stresses the fiberglass.

In the picture in the manual the sills are nice and tight with the known gap between the body and striker attachment.

I have Gen2 #331. If you encountered it and have a solution please let me know what it was. I am at the point now to where I can't move on until I have a solution. Thanks.

I'll post some pictures later this evening.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VD2021; 08-01-2011 at 05:08 PM.
    R/s
    Vidal
    CURRENT STATUS: Interior Rework and Bodywork.
    GenII GTM #331. Delivered (23/9/10)
    BUILD LOG AND WEBSITE:
    http://gtmbuild.weebly.com/ .